Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    6/10/2003 12:53pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've finally found a great MMA place in my area (the RIMA, or Raleigh institute of martial arts. Does Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, aerobic kickboxing [fitness crowd] hapkido, WC, and TKD, kids only. And if anyone cares, the MT guys dis TKD all the time) and started training MT and BJJ. The BJJ class is right after MT, so I'm doing essectially a double length class. Good conditioning, being constantly doing SOMETHING. And MT conditions at end of class, BJJ at beginning... woa.

Well, anyway, I rolled with a woman yesterday. I was just wondering, what, exactly, do women want/expect/need from a guy rolling with them? She was only 5'5" and 122, I'm 6' and 170 ish... I found I was able to just muscle through at first, but later her technique started to come out and she really made me work for it. I also ended up getting stalemated with her, only won once. She owned me a lot, can't say I mind, only 2nd class ever for me, and I want to learn as much as I can.

Do you want guys to go 100% with their strength so you're used to it? Or try to use technique more? Are you worried about lapel grabs that might squish your breasts? She was kinda flat so I didn't worry too much... and what about inevitable shins or forearms ending up in your crotch? I try to be curteous about that whole thing myself, personally, but is that a big consideration? Or with anyone of your own gender? I'm not too familiar with the "unwritten rules" of grappling courtesy.

Oh, speaking of white belt bloopers... I got heel kicked in the head a bunch of times, once in the jaw, and almsot everyone that day "oil checked" me with their KNEE. That did not feel too great. And one guy got me off of a sidecontrol on him with a knee to the 'nads. Owie. Well, at the least, nobody intentionally did it, and checked to see if I was okay, especially after the heel to the jaw. Amazing how I get hit more in BJJ than in my MT class...

But its just all part of it, I suppose. I should learn to take a good hit anyway. I half-expect that last comment to make Asia storm in and blast me for being the FNG. I HATE being the FNG.

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/10/2003 1:40pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wear a cup. I've never rolled with a woman before, I can't give you advice there. I would think she is there the same reason you are. To learn and hone. I know the feeling though, I feel bad when I roll with guys smaller than me that don't have the technique.

Have fun is the best advice I can give, and learn.

==================
    "When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim." RCJ Machado
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    6/10/2003 2:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A cup won't keep their knee away of my asshole... Jeez... IGBJJ's would probably say to lube up before rolling regarding that problem :p

But yeah, I feel that its worth it. And if anything, grappling a smaller person helps me work my top more. Bigger guys put me on my back quick. The teacher had me grapple different body types a lot. A HUGE black dude, this really cut marine, a normal guy, that small woman, so on and so forth.

I just really want him to do more standup there. He said they don't start at the feet because of danger to being tossed around, and on the knees you can still do similar throws and whatnot. But I guess I'll just wait until we do clinch-up stuff in class. But being the newbie, I shouldn't make demands...

But I wanna cover EVERYTHING, ya know? I'd love to find a SanShou class, in that regard. GREAT standup-to-ground training.

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Posted On:
    6/10/2003 3:38pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    shower before you got to class.....
    wear deordant.....(if they pass out before you choke them.....)

try to not keep doing the same move.....boring

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.

"in final closing look yourselves in the mirror and you might see yourself." Posted by big buck - June 05 2003
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    6/10/2003 3:56pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Frankly, the only thing I want is to be treated the same as you treat the guys in class. If you get wood while sparring with me, that's a compliment as far as I'm concerned. But I can see other women getting upset.

Those women should be hounded till they leave and TAKE UP KNITTING OR SOMETHING.

"Oh ****, it was the other Osiris, The Wastrel." -- patfromlogan
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Marasmos

Posted On:
    6/10/2003 4:13pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only thing I do differently when sparing with women, is I concentrate more on technique and less on strength. I do the same when I go up agains weaker or smaller guys too.

I have met and spared girls that could kick my ass. With them, I fight exactly the same way I would fight anyone else.

------------------------
    I remain, Hapko3
    You say what about my rice?

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    6/10/2003 4:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the winning answer:
    "The only thing I do differently when sparing with women, is I concentrate more on technique and less on strength. I do the same when I go up agains weaker or smaller guys too.

I have met and spared girls that could kick my ass. With them, I fight exactly the same way I would fight anyone else."

My single chopstick is bad at serving soup, cutting steaks and basting roasts and chickens. Besides that it owns.

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    6/10/2003 5:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think a mugger would go easy on a woman just because she might be smaller or weaker. I consider it disrespectful to not give my full effort against my opponents, regardless of anything.

Sifu Emin - Did you see that?
    Me - (gasping) No, but I can't breathe yet.

***ned

Posted On:
    6/10/2003 6:59pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think a mugger would go easy on a woman just because she might be smaller or weaker. I consider it disrespectful to not give my full effort against my opponents, regardless of anything.
    Good one MrMcFu, I'm sure my female training partners will like it when I grab them when they're trying to open their car, rip off their clothes, and generally humiliate them. Because, you know, a rapist or mugger isn't gonna go easy on her just because she's smaller or weaker. Hell, why don't you just KILL the worthless bitch.

~
    danny

"All this talk about 'newbies' is making me a little nervous. You guys don't have any sort of secret hazing initiation involving wooden paddles and me screaming 'Thank you sir, may I have another?!' do you?"

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/10/2003 7:08pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Danny,

Have you taken your meds this week?

==================
    "When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim." RCJ Machado
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast