Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    6/10/2003 8:21pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My single chopstick is bad at serving soup, cutting steaks and basting roasts and chickens. Besides that it owns.

Village Idiot

Posted On:
    6/10/2003 9:21pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The last time I checked you don't win MMA or most any MA competitions by pinning your opponent on his back.
    I'll make one when I can find one I like.

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    6/10/2003 11:02pm

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This week, a new guy started training at my dojo. This guy Jake used to be a Div II wrestler in Colorado and has so much potential, it's mind-boggling. His takedowns are unstoppable, he's super-fast, super-strong and his 'mat sense' is unreal. Trying to submit him requires so much energy, it's almost impossible to pull off. If he trains submissions and striking for a year, he'll be a juggernaut, I **** you not. In my experience, this kind of guy is no accident. Wrestlers are naturally set-up for doing well in NHB/MMA. I mean, come on, how many UFCs did Dan Severn win with practically zero submission or striking training? Same goes for Randleman, Coleman, Kerr and a lot of other 'wrestlers' that became MMA guys. Hell, just look the guys that dominate in UFC or Pride. Quite a few of them started out as college or national team wrestlers. Almost all of the guys that fight pro out of my school are ex-high school and college wrestlers.

If I had to pick any kind of 'pure' combative athlete to bring into the MMA dojo I train at, it would be wrestlers. Forget boxing, kickboxing, karate, TKD, Judo, BJJ, Kung Fu, whatever. Everyone else can have those guys. I'll take the good high school/college wrestlers hands down. And no, I'm not making the 'everything being equal' assumption, because that's not how the real world operates. All of the seasoned wrestlers I've ever known are tough as hell and hate to lose at anything. I've seen what all the other styles bring and frankly, I've haven't been as impressed as I've been with the guys with cauliflowered ears. It goes beyond technique. IMO, your hard-core wrestler-types have the mindset needed for NHB, MMA or whatever you want to call it. I apologize if that sounds really biased, but I'm just typing what I've seen in the last three years I've been training at Jacksons.

"Go cry about it Vargas. Aren't you late for your shift at McDonald's?"

Edited by - Vargas on June 10 2003 23:05:07
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    6/10/2003 11:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tell it like it is, Brother Os. Can I get an 'Amen' from the Bullshido congregation?

"I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

Posted On:
    6/17/2003 7:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Along with takedowns, wrestling gives you spatial sense (being comfortable upside down, suplexing, falling), unreal strength and aggression(unreal in the views of nonwrestlers) , and anaerobic conditioning.

and abotu submisions..there are none. wrestlers may be tuff, but they've never felt a submssion pain. they've been slammed and cranked tho.

Do Be Open-minded
    Don't Be Gullible

***ned

Posted On:
    6/17/2003 7:47pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think Jesus submitted. Unless you consider "dying" a submission to "death".

~
    danny

"All this talk about 'newbies' is making me a little nervous. You guys don't have any sort of secret hazing initiation involving wooden paddles and me screaming 'Thank you sir, may I have another?!' do you?"

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    6/17/2003 8:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That Jesus got SPANKED by the [s]Jews[/s] Romans.

Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 7:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no they aren't. if you tap out of a banana splits, you are a *****. crucifix is a hold...it CAN be a neck crank if u reach under the arm and grab the head and pull, just like in the last few movements of wrestler's guillotine.

Do Be Open-minded
    Don't Be Gullible

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 10:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Out here in the west, it's called a 'banana split' and yes, it hurts like a beeotch. Unfortunately, if striking is allowed, you're going to get killed trying that move. Good wrestling move, bad MMA move. As for the crucifix, yes, you can tap someone out. It's not an easy move, especially if the guy is limber, but you can cut off a guy's breathing and crank the **** out of his neck, no problem.

Believe it or not, a lot of wrestling coaches give impromptu 'real fighting' seminars every so often after practice. They let their wrestlers know what they need to do if they get into a brawl off the mat. Most of it is the 'protect your head, get the takedown, use your knees and elbows on their skull' kind of tactics, but they also show how to get a few basic chokes and neck cranks. At least that's what my coach did, maybe I just got lucky having that guy around. Add in the fact that every wrestler I've met in the last ten years loves UFC/Pride fights (thus giving them at least a passing familiarity with subs) and you can see that wrestlers aren't necessarily ignorant when it comes to submission holds.

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 10:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wrestling is about take downs,leg sweep.half nelson and other cool moves
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast