Posted On:
    6/06/2003 11:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Black belt success for mum Terri

June 6, 2003 05:38

TERRI Sawkins has won medals for her sport.

She received her coveted black belt in a variation of Kuk Sool - a Korean martial art - and then took part in a national tournament at Norwich Sports Village last week. There were many winners but her achievement was more remarkable than most because Terri is blind.

She has been in the sport for four years after she was hooked after a self-defence class and has progressed up the rankings and through the belts. Both her children have trained in the sport, Kristian, 16, is a blue belt and Heidi, 14, a brown belt. Terri, 45, who travels by train from Colchester to Ipswich for her classes admitted she never thought she would land her black belt. She said: "I never intended to go for a black belt. I just want to keep going as long as I can. I didn't want to grade but they put me in and, from time to time, gradings came along. "It is exciting to get this far. I will go on with it. I don't really have ambitions but want to take advantage of things when they come along. "In 1996 I climbed Ben Nevis, I've also abseilled and water-skiied. There are loads of things I would like to do but for a single mum on benefits most are not realistic.

"On my 40th birthday I went water-skiiing and last year I went swimming with dolphins. But I never thought I would get a black belt. Terri has been blind for 23 years and admits she has never seen her children. "Perhaps it is a good thing," she joked. Paying tribute to her instructors she said: "It is down to the instructors who have been teaching me and pointing me in the right direction. Kuk Sool Won is about commitment and they certainly have that. I do most things that everyone else does, though I don't do much sparring. "The forms and techniques, and I practise the full weapons sparring as well. "I am very grateful for the Ipswich club for taking me on. Daughter Heidi said: "My brother started first, mum joined and then I joined. "We have gone along together though but with school work it is hard to carry on. Mum still goes every week."

Chief instructor at Ipswich is Kyo Sa Nim John Garrod, he said: "She has done absolutely brilliantly. There is a lot of hands-on because it is based on self-defence but she does all the techniques. She has overcome her disability. "I have only know here four or five months since she came over to Ipswich after training at the Colchester club but I think it is a fantastic achievement to get her black belt. "We do practise sometimes by closing our eyes it is amazing how difficult it is. She competes with everyone else and is not left behind in any way. "We don't treat her any differently. We do have to give her a bit of space to make sure she doesn't clash with anything." "There are thousands of people training in Kuk Sool Won in the country, from Caithness down to Bristol, and as far as I am aware Terri is the only one who is blind."

Kuk Sool is a comprehensive martial arts system derived from the rich and varied martial arts techniques and traditions that have arisen in Korea through the ages. Kuk Sool is a complete martial art that is dedicated to the cultivation of mental and physical strength and well-being, and to the preservation of traditional Korean martial arts. Although its origins may be traced back to antiquity, the present Kuk Sool system was devised only recently.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/content/news/NewsStory.asp?Brand=EADOnline&Category=News&am p;ItemId=IPED05+Jun+2003+22%3A38%3A38%3A940
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    6/06/2003 11:59am

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Highly commendable.

Just proves that one can overcome adversity if he/she is dedicated enough.

We rely too much on our eyes and less on our other senses anyway.

The best won victory is that obtained without bloodshed - Bushido proverb
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Reading FD cause cancer

small hick city full with college students in Cali

Posted On:
    6/06/2003 12:23pm

Style: Muay Thai and boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "There are thousands of people training in Kuk Sool Won in the country, from Caithness down to Bristol, and as far as I am aware Terri is the only one who is blind."

ACK!! Is the instructor talking about Eric Bristol? If he does then that must be a mcdojo!!!

It is a rat eat rat world.

The closest fight you can do that will look like any movie is scene from Harrison Ford movies
    I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    6/06/2003 6:22pm

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Osiris,

Kuk Sul Won is a modern Korean art which bears similarities to Hapkido, Taekwondo, and even has elements of Haedong Kumdo in it. I got a girlfriend in Korea that studies it.

So, much to your chagrin....yeah, it's pretty much a striking art.

The best won victory is that obtained without bloodshed - Bushido proverb
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Posted On:
    6/06/2003 8:22pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    heh

"Kuk Sool is a comprehensive martial arts system derived from the rich and varied martial arts techniques and traditions that have arisen in Korea through the ages. Kuk Sool is a complete martial art that is dedicated to the cultivation of mental and physical strength and well-being, and to the preservation of traditional Korean martial arts."
    oh reaaaaaaaaalllllly?!??!

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.

"in final closing look yourselves in the mirror and you might see yourself." Posted by big buck - June 05 2003
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2003 9:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kuk Sool (Kuk Sul) is basically Hapkido with shinier uniforms, a different training methodology, and more exciting weapons (ie- sword, spear, odd kung fu-ish sharp stuff). I trained in Kuk Sool for a while during my Hapkido years (at a different school) to better understand my Hapkido practice. The Kuk Sool method (at the school I went to) is to train ALL hand techniques on the right side ONLY until perfected and then move on to the left. Ridiculous to say the least, in terms of self defense, but maybe, maybe, maybe a good way to learn it in the long term. In terms of the history of the art, it is directly derived from Hapkido, and has a strong Korean identity.

Posted On:
    6/07/2003 5:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe kuk sool also tend to emphasize more on "ki" developement than hapkido.

"Do what thou wilt is the whole of the Law"
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/07/2003 6:41pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Big Daddy Goodridge has a BB in it, so you know it's down by law.

Heh

==================
    "When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim." RCJ Machado
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    6/08/2003 12:04am

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guys, you do realize not everyone's training to fight in the UFC right? Just because many of us seek actual application, doesn't mean that others shouldn't be able to succeed in various arts. Karate, TKD, even certain forms of KF all have become very forms-based. Someone who is blind can do forms very well, and within the closer ranges can defend themselves very well. Are they going up against the best of the best in their art and holding their own? Probably not. But then again, could all of us claim that?

This is kind of a sore spot with me. We have a blind Sandan in our dojo. The guy is AWESOME. He's funny, awesome attitude and he'll actually teach a class and has the presence to keep everyone working their forms hard. Does he teach sparring? Obviously not. But he does offer a different perspective on many things, such as your breathing patterns and how smoothly you move (by hearing). I've worked with him on a few things, and I have to admit, if I was to attack a guy with a seeing eye dog, this guy would definitely surprise the crap out of me. (It helps that he's boney as all hell, so he does a lot of damage up close. LOL!)

Now if you this article claimed she was a NINJA, then I'd be laughing.

Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Wake me up.
    Bid my blood to run.
    I can't wake up.
    Before I come undone.
    Save me.
    Save me from the nothing I've become." -Evanescence, Bring Me To Life
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    6/08/2003 12:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's wrong with you guys, blind people can fight. Didn't you guys ever see Blind Fury->

Or how about Zatoichi->
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast