Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/04/2003 12:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazillian Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh, you got to it before I finished my post, Phrost! That's not a bad starting point. At least we can focus on one thing and refine the plan as we go.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    "The difference between us, and other martial arts websites you might be looking for, is that we're not going to feed you, well, bullshit about martial arts."
    -Phrost

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    6/04/2003 12:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some TKD and HKD history: http://www.koreanma.homestead.com/HistoryPageContent.html

This is based on some brief studies that I did and is in no way "law of the land" Now here is the part that I haven't quite gotten to yet, I am wanting, eventually, to compare things to Korean History in general to see if things would jive. I would be more than happy to help out in the Korean MA aspect.

Jeremy M. Talbott
    http://www.koreanma.homestead.com/index.html
    http://www.martialscience.homestead.com/home.html
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/04/2003 12:26pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't believe in anything Jeremy says!!! (He's actaully Ashida Kim in disguise)

Go away I'm talking to myself

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    6/04/2003 12:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These reports are old and I have since found more references to add more information, I have just been too lazy to act on it. So if you know of more information, I would be glad to add on.

Jeremy M. Talbott
    Jeremy M. Talbott

"Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    6/04/2003 12:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn...you found out my secret...now I will have to use the Ashida Kim trade marked mind meld and make you forget

Jeremy M. Talbott
    Jeremy M. Talbott

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Ex-ATA and Proud of it.

Posted On:
    6/04/2003 12:53pm

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This sounds like an interesting endeavour. I would be willing to contribute to this topic in some fashion. After all, many of our Masters were there when the offical TKD was created.

Sincerely,

Knowing it is not enough, we must apply.
    Willing is not enough, we must do.
    Knowing it is not enough, we must apply.
    Willing is not enough, we must do.

Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the rear, or a Fool from any direction!

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Payne

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2003 1:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To a degree this has allready been done. Martial arts of the world an encyclopedia by Thomas A. Green it is 2 volumes and has entries on both eastern and western traditions.

What I liked about this is that the entries each have their own bibliographies and are fact checked for historical accuracy

MS

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    6/04/2003 1:01pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I volunteer to edit and collate the info. If anyone wants, they can send me files in email or Word format at jkdchick@bullshido.com

"I'm willing to bet I could **** up an emu real good, if I got the drop on the bastard."
    -- KC Elbows, my new hero.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2003 1:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boy Phrost, you werent kidding when you said you were gonna bring this to over here huh?

Thanks for giving me credit, by the way.

My original thoughts were more focused on the evolution of the techniques in an art, as well as the general history.

For example, GJJ. The Gracies claimed to have improved JJ. Well, how? What did they improve? Did they invent sweeps? Did they modify the arm-bar? Exactly what did they do?

If someone tracked the development of individual techniques and strategies in an art, we'd have answers to these questions. Plus it would be cool to be able to open a book and see how a technique has changed over the years. Or to see when and why a technique fell out of favor.

You young guns are running with this. Good thing too, the lazy bastards at the ADCC wouldnt even have gotten this far. :)

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    6/04/2003 1:10pm

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a very good idea, but as Osiris and a few others in this forum have stated, it may not be possible to do this.

Just with your example alone, Taekwondo, it poses much difficulty. Now, I myself have studied Taekwondo for 10 years, and I have heard many different accounts of it's origins. Some say that the art has existed for thousands of years. Some say that it is derived from earlier arts of Soo Bahk Do and Tae Kyon. And yet some say that the art is very contemporary and was invented by Gen. Choi Hong Hi in 1955. Others seek to disclaim that and state that Taekwondo was officially named and established in 1961, but not by Gen. Choi.

But aside from even that, much of the Korean manuscripts and documentations of their history and their martial arts were destroyed when the Japanese occupied the Korean peninsula from 1910 to 1945.

So you see, there are many different accounts. Sifting through these to find the truth may be tricky at best.

The best won victory is that obtained without bloodshed - Bushido proverb

Edited by - Rising Phoenix on June 04 2003 13:13:48
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast