233133 Bullies, 3632 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 13 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/04/2003 11:51am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually got part of this idea from BigRod over at the ADCC forum. What I'd like to see is an in-depth discussion on the history of a particular art (such as Taekwondo) geared toward producing as legitimate a factual history as possible, free of all the bullshit, politics, and fantasy many accounts are filled with.

Everyone would collaborate and come up with an initial draft, that would be subjected to review and final analysis by the forum. The finished product would be a featured article on that particular style, and used as a reference point for people interested.

Up until now, we've discussed many of the problems in the martial arts. I feel this would be a great first step toward accomplishing our greater goals of cutting down on the fraud and bullshit in MA.

What do you guys think?

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    6/04/2003 11:56am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a great idea. It would be good to start with TKS, Karate, Judo, Kung Fu -- the biggies.

"I'm willing to bet I could **** up an emu real good, if I got the drop on the bastard."
    -- KC Elbows, my new hero.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/04/2003 11:57am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're going to get a lot of tangents on this one but I think its a good idea. My friends been writing a book on it and shares once in a while. Makes me look intellegent to you guys.

Go away I'm talking to myself

Posted On:
    6/04/2003 12:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think doing Kung Fu collectively would be a bit impossible. Just Wing Chun alone has enough facts to sort through that it would take a lot of effort.

I'd really just like to see a history for each art that most everyone can agree is as close to what really happened as it could possibly be without having living witnesses.

Ambitious? Yes, but this whole site is the product of good-natured ambition.

Ideally, we'd get the input of style experts, and cross check information. You're right that it would be a lot of work, but if we don't do this thing, who else could?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/04/2003 12:04pm

supporting member
     Style: SECRET DEADLY

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like it. It will be important that as stated the politcal crap, personal bias stays out. The information needs to offered with referances so the info can be confirmed to keep the " stories " down to a min..

Ever been punched in the mouth for talking too much : Xander ( vin diesal )in the movie TRIPLE X
    ----------------------------------------
    After reading Jekyll's threads I bring back an old sig.......

Do you really train or just bore people on message boards and parties talking about it.

Posted On:
    6/04/2003 12:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If we get enough interest in this thread, we'll have to start an offical thread on a particular art. I'm guessing we'd start with TKD.

This is how I see it happening; a several step process:

1. The discussion would begin, and information gathered. Sources would be listed with each bit of info.

2. The info would be reviewed by everyone for accuracy, and the discussion would turn toward coming to a consensus on what is agreed as fact.

3. A draft, including only the agreed on facts would be produced.

4. The draft would be reviewed, again by members of the website, and when a general consensus is arrived at, the final article would be posted in a section of the website devoted to MA style histories.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/04/2003 12:13pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hah! can of worms here can of worms.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/04/2003 12:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazillian Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, this'll take a while to put it lightly. I'll use WC by way of example because it is the one I'm most familiar with in this context. There is currently a site (www.wingchunkuen.com) that already has most of the information available, and was put together by someone who has spent many years, travelling all over the place, to gather the info. I guess it all depends on how in-depth you want to get; do you want a basic timeline, or do you want to get into details about subsystems and branches?

Maybe if we had a section of the site in which to dump research so that we can make better use of the members' contacts and existent research to date. That way, we won't end up with 20 articles on TKD and BJJ, but none on Fukkien White Crane.

It's a good idea. We should definitely discuss the logistics involved and come up some kind of a plan of action before we embark on such an ambitious venture.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    "The difference between us, and other martial arts websites you might be looking for, is that we're not going to feed you, well, bullshit about martial arts."
    -Phrost

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/04/2003 12:17pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, that was brief.
    My friend here said that in his studies there's a firm belief system out there about truths in the history of martial arts. What everybody believes is so just isn't. His study resembles more of a forensic look at the history that we've been presented and analyzed as such. Thus when I'd be giving my opinion it'll be based on his research which will inturn piss of many people.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2003 12:19pm

Style: Sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it will be a good and cool idea if it can get off the ground.

I'll be happy to work up some info on Sambo/Sombo/Cambo, I have a decent amount of info on it at home that I've gotten both thru the style and research on the style for papers.

Wyatt
Page 1 of 13 1 234511 ... LastLast