Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2003 7:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    promotion is exactly the point.

and if he thinks the Buddhists and the Daoists have nothing in common...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2003 1:02pm

Style: Xingyi, Bagua, Taiji

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    According to an email exchange I had with "Wu De" who claimed to have been at one of my seminars, he says that he has me confused with someone named Michael Peter Patterson (if there is such a person). Just in case others on this board are laboring under this same delusion, some clarification of who I actually am seems to be in order..

I am the Mike Patterson who was the United States Men's Head Coach for the 1996 Kuoshu World Full Contact Tournament held in Taiwan. My school placed six men on that 10 man, 5 woman team. These men earned their seats through their fight records. I am the same man who was voted IKF's Coach of the Year 1997 as a result of my record. My school also place 3 men and 2 women on the 2000 World Team bound for Taiwan. That tournament ended up being canceled due to political change in Taiwan that year with the election of the new party and the ousting of the Kuo Ming Tang ruling party. I hate politics with a passion and the decision to cancel the World tournament prompted my retirement from Full Contact coaching that very same year.

Unlike most folks on this and other BBS's, I don't hide behind pseudonyms and intellectual rhetoric spun from the safety of my keyboard. I am and have always been a public figure and I have never been shy about putting my skills or the skills of my students up for public scrutiny. My record speaks for itself on this issue. I will "compare notes" with anyone. Consider this a heartfelt, open invitation to the likes of "cyrijl", "BSH" and "Yiliquan1".

The CMA community and Kuoshu full contact circuits know me very well and they respect both me and my teams for what we have achieved. But, imagine how incomplete my life seems without the respect of the folks here at Bullshido.com.. :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2003 6:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In regard to my post concerning Mike Patterson, the seminar which i was present at was apparently under a different person with the same name (as registed with the Taiwanese Wulin18 association) and therefore the opinions which were posted do not apply to this new "Mike Patterson".

I sincerely apologise for my mistake, however, my opinion still rests for the 'original' "Mike Patterson".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2003 7:00pm

Style: Xingyi, Bagua, Taiji

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I sincerely apologise for my mistake, however, my opinion still rests for the 'original' "Mike Patterson".
    You mean I'm NOT an original!? Damn! What a way to ruin my day! :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2003 7:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't mean it that way, I meant the man who I mentioned originally in my first post, i.e. Mike P Patterson.

I didn't mean to insult Mike Patterson (and not Mike P Patterson, i still stand by my post). It's too late in the night, i think my english is failing me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 1:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I have been part of the TCMA community for a little under a decade now and I agree with why Phrost thinks it is worthless. He hasn't seen anything to show him otherwise.
    Then Phrost should get out more instead of hiding in his own circle. Just because he ain't seen it *yet* does not mean that "otherwise" doesn't exist. I don't know him, but I'd bet the farm that he's an MMA guy, right?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 2:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mike:

It's not hiding, it's saving myself the headaches. I am always willing to share who I am with most people if they ask, I just don't need more spam on my emails. I'll come by and see you in a week or two and you can get to know me better. When would be a good time?

Mad Fukr, I think that 95% of TCMA's that people teach is worthless. I am not saying you can't find it, but there is so much cr@p out there, that it is becoming harder to find something worthwhile. Phrost is likely more interested in exposing those people who are less than above-board and he sees enough examples out there to keep him from looking for the authentics.

I have seen him change his opinion when someone responded to criticism professionally.

I am in your circle and I am amazed at the numbers of frauds there are, especially here in San Diego.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 2:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when bullshido.com lags so badly and BJJ apparently rules over all so we should just give up now and be assimilated ;) ...

ANYWAYS

first of all, MAD FUKR, its a great assumption to make when you say that anyone is number one at anything, especially in the MA community.
    i bet we dont know each other, but you take a great leap of faith on this board in assuming that we actully respect your depth of knowledge and understanding of every single hsing-i practitioner and teacher in the US ;) but we love you anyways. keep it real, MAD *wink*
    I'll just say that I've had my eyes open on the subject for quite some time. Do I care if anyone does not believe it? No. Besides, Mike already spoke on this issue.

****, even if anyone at their most highly trained level would never be able to get any of those moves off in a real fight... it doesnt matter. its still a demonstration of the potential of the movement, making it artful. respectfully i say to you, thats a point most people miss. if you really really want to concentrate on fighting, for fighting sake, forgetting about the ART of it all, then you must disregard all interpretations of form or "kata", because they are art, representing potential!
    example: i am a practicing musician and i used to play all these fast-ass scales just so i could play fast and meet chicks. well, when it came time to play in a BAND with other people, playing all the fast scales just did not work, because i failed to concentrate on the artfulness of the music i was trying to create. i failed at becoming the artist i wanted to be. i was great at playing scales real fast, but i couldnt make MUSIC. hmmm, maybe that helps clear my example up for you. probably not, though :)
    Understood. Not to be rude, but in employing your analogy, you must recognize the fact that many guitarists ARE able to EXPRESS (make music) playing FAST. Just because you didn't do it doesn't mean nobody else can. Same applies to fighting. There ARE people that express the "flavor" of thier art in a fight. This is why many MA systems are OLD. Because they DO work.

if you go to check out the video segments on his site, you may be disappointed if you are looking for fighting-specific clips. maybe he should put some up of his students winning by knock-out in the tournaments he enters them in. :) all just to impress bullshido.com computer warriors, right?
    oh, GAWD, I wish Mike would do this. He is secure with what he has accomplished, so I dunno if he would be compelled to do so. Personally, I have a great love for IMA and do not like to see it detracted, espescially by loud mouthed MMA/BJJ practitioners. Mike (Patterson), if you read this, please consider publishing some footage of IMA guys shining in the ring, especially IMA vs MMA/BJJ. This IS needed in my opinion despite the fact that most who are moaning about it are "keyboard warriors" (myself included). Maybe I can't demonstrate myself, but that does not disqualify me from pointing out who can, and I get MAD ;) when IMA are detracted by macho meatball wrestlers, who, by the way become QUIET when they come across IMA guys who are willing to put up.

as far as int vs ext? i am not a historian so i cant really weigh in on this, but i dont think mike patterson is trying to cash in on what you think is his own interpretation of what internal is. and BSH i am sorry but i think you went too far in your comment.
    He did. It's not a matter of history or what the phrase "Internal martial Art" means. It's what NEIJIA means. And where did the whole idea of "Internal Martial Arts" come from (in english), that's right, NEIJIA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 2:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My opinion is that people often point to history, books, and other people's quotes to defend their position, not to find the real answer.

I don't think Mike Patterson is trying to cash in, I just think he has accepted the definition of internal that best promotes his system.
    No. Read it again. He defined it by translating the term "Neijia"

I reject his definition because I train an internal system that doesn't qualify as such under his definition.
    and so you are Waijia. Get real BSH. Nobody used the term "Internal Martial Art" until IMA (meaning Xingyi, Bagua, etc) introduced it.

I think he has every right to claim that my art is not internal as I have the right to claim that it is.
    and there are people in the world who still believe the Earth is flat, too, despite what those who can SEE otherwise say.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 3:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mad Fukr, I think that 95% of TCMA's that people teach is worthless. I am not saying you can't find it, but there is so much cr@p out there, that it is becoming harder to find something worthwhile. Phrost is likely more interested in exposing those people who are less than above-board and he sees enough examples out there to keep him from looking for the authentics.
    Oooh, but that is such a shot in the foot attitude that could lead to rude awakenings. Believe me, when the first claims about MMA and BJJ first came up in the limelight, I sat up and listened. Heard good stuff in the early days, but all I hear now is "TCMA sucks, come to our school" Now IMA are suffering an all out smear campaign. Maybe it's just a matter of time before things settle, but I am getting impatient with the impatience of poeple like Phrost, who, because 95% of what they've seen is BS, assume that the latest they've come across is BS as well. A shot in the foot. I don't like seeing ANYONE do that, for any reason.

I have seen him change his opinion when someone responded to criticism professionally.
    OK, cool. Like I said, I dunno him. But it makes me ask, has HE "played" with Patterson?

I am in your circle and I am amazed at the numbers of frauds there are, especially here in San Diego.
    OMIGAWD! That was like a breath of fresh air amidst the farts. What's going on in SD? We have more McDojos than one can shake a stick at, the bulk of IMA schools here are just new-age daycare centers for dabblers (Patterson excluded, of course, but I won't name the guilty parties). I still have yet to see a good MMA school here tho.

Pardon my previous "rudeness", but I'm MAD ;)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast