Troy,

Um...what?

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 3:20pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Testyourmight
    No they put you in positions where your apponent is locked down and you are in a good striking position. ANd no they do not take this assumption into their training. I should be less rash when I speak on here I forget that I am posting towards such distiguished individuals.
    Kudos on the unusually subtle (for teh interwebs) insult, but these are questions you should expect when posting in a thread in MABS.

So I guess it's pinning techniques on the ground for striking? Any sub work?

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 3:22pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think TestYourMight has any actual experience in Teukgong Musul.

EDIT: He doesn't even know how to spell the name of his own art.
    Last edited by Jiggle Butt; 3/20/2008 5:11pm at .

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 11:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwan Doe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

No I don't have much experience

A friend of mine who i used to train with when i was younger trains in Tukkong in his town. he came to visit me last summer and he showed me a few of their take downs they where pretty uncomfortable to be in as far as i can tell from what he showed me they don't do submissions.

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 11:27pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good call, Errant.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    3/21/2008 9:25am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Must be all the meditation...

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/25/2008 7:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tukkong, Gongkwon Yusul

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tuk Gong was not developed by Grandmaster Chang Soo Ok. He was involved in its development, but there is much more to it.

Tuk Gong/Tukkong/Teukgong comprises of 3 main styles of training. One style is for the special forces, another is for the Korean Presidential Security Service, and the third is for civilians. The techniques trained in depend upon the style being taught.

Posted On:
    3/26/2008 5:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwan Doe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tukkong can you please go into more detail about the art of Tuk Gong I would like to hear more about what my friend is training in. Would he be training in civilian Tuk Gong?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/26/2008 7:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tukkong, Gongkwon Yusul

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Firstly, I use different spellings depending upon what association I am talking about. However, 'Teukgong' would be the correct spelling according to Korean Government English policies.

'Civilian' Teukgong is just the term I use to distinguish one of the training programs. Unless your friend is a special forces soldier or Presidential Security Service agent, then he will be training in the 'civilian' program.

As I recall, there are now 4 Tuk Gong associations in Korea. The original one is the Korea Teuk-gong Moo Sul Association. This is headed by GM Chang Soo Ok and his wife.

The other main association is the Korea World Tukkong Association, headed by GM Lim Ung Hwan and a group of former special forces soldiers and president's bodyguards. GM Lim is generally regarded as the founder of Tukkong/Teukgong/Tuk Gong. He was a special forces officer who was ordered to develop an MA for the military. At some point, GM Chang Soo Ok joined him in the work. Finally, after GM Lim was transfered to another unit, GM Chang continued with Tuk Gong. GM Lim was the president of the Korea Teuk-gong Moo Sul Association for a while.

GM Chang was a Kuk Sul Won master. Therefore, Teukgong is virtually identical to Hapkido (in Korea, Kuk Sul Won is viewed as a school of Hapkido). I had trained in Kuk Sul Won before starting Teukgong. It was very, very similar. If I was to make a very general statement, I would say that Teukgong is more aggressive in the application of its techniques. Additionally, you don't find any forms in Hapkido that involve the use of an M16 rifle.

Tukkong, under GM Lim, does involve a certain amount of groundfighting. Also, many of the fancy techniques have been eliminated.

The special forces units and the Presidential Security Service now train in the style under GM Lim. They made the move away from GM Chang a few years ago.

Anyway, the style your friend is most likely training in, will be very similar to Hapkido. He will learn the same kicks, strikes, throws, wrist locks, etc as any Hapkido person. There are also a number of forms. For blackbelt, he will also learn a knife form.

I have rambled a bit, but I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Cheers.

Posted On:
    4/09/2008 5:40pm

Style: TaeKwonDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a question so what martial arts do the korean kong soo dae use i believe their air force special force?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast