Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 7:29am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Black 6 it's not that the art has a handful of dicks in it, it's becuase it is so far removed from anything resembling real fighting that training in it will impart very little, if any, functional skill. What you find in the dojo are dead drills. By that I mean they do not force you to use your reflexes and timing, the ability to deal with being pushed, pulled and yanked around and resistance to the technique. Now everytime someone says something about bujinkan training methods the defenders inevitablely pipe in: "We don't train like that at my dojo, we push-pull-resist-punch-kick yuuurgghhh!" Yet zero actual evidence exists that bujinkan can perform under alive conditions.

Hell, even _ing _un has more video evidence for it.

But I could have just saved time by scrapping everything I've said and just posted this:

Last edited by Virus; 8/17/2006 7:33am at .

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 9:44am

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Black 6
    Lane, my thing about the point sparrig in Judo being okay is that to score an ippon, there are requirements in the throw. One of which being control.
    Yes, I know. I'm an ex-judoka as well.

Although the jutaijutsu teaching in the Bujinkan is limited, during one throws class, our instructor was talking about the throws of Judo. At this point, I was still new to the martial arts, so just about everything could be an eye-opener. Anyway, he talked about the control Judo's throws, and how, as gentle as it may seem (in that the uke gets up after a technique), especially with proper ukemi, the throws, with slight variation, will land an opponent on their head and pretty much end the fight. So, although I said that there was "point sparring" in Judo, I acknowledge that it is on an ENTIRELY different level than other point sparing.
    You're confused on what point sparring is. Point sparring is a non-continuous form of sparring where matches are stopped artificially and a point awarded based on some sort of pre-determined criterion, such as "the kick was properly performed; had we let it go on, it would have landed." Judo randori and competition is continuous, and although a "point" is awarded for ippon, waza, pins, chokes or submissions, it is only after the match has reached a satisfactory concluding point, not stopped artificially.
    --
    L.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 10:52am

Style: Taijutsu, Army Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lane, I'll remember that in the future.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 11:27am

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Black 6,

Since you are in Italy, I would suggest you try Judo for a bit if you are curious about the skills. Most places in Europe have some Judo and you may even like it.

BJJ is great also, it won't detract from anything you are doing in the BJK and you may really enjoy it.

Because Judo is fucking awesome but when taken in conjunction with BJJ, its like Christmas but better.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 12:57pm

Style: Taijutsu, Army Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mongo, there are actually some guys here that teach BJJ. I'd love to try it but right now, being the Brigade budget officer, and it being close to the end of the fiscal year, the days are pretty hectic. Hopefully, once October starts, and teh entire Army becomes broke for a few months, I can get some time to do what I want.
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314