Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/26/2006 11:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jubei33
    How can this article be taken seriously?
    Indeed, that quote there about JKD being possibly fatal, and the assertion that rejecting tradition is dangerous renders the article completely devoid of any credibility whatsoever. And since many of us are seeking to "develop knowledge on our own" (let's hope we don't die) I suggest that we should set aside how cool it is to disrespect Bruce Lee on the internet and reject the article as garbage.

I will assume from here on out that Mr. Lee mopped the floor with Wong, if only because that quote pissed me off. That's enough for me, as ultimately it is impossible to be certain.

Posted On:
    7/27/2006 5:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good posts all

true about the EBM academy - they have successful san shou fighters and train groundfighting regularly.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/27/2006 5:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Setting aside some of the mysticism of the article, I tend to believe it's account of the fight. Or at least an account where there was not a decisive victor and that the popular account "Linda Lee's" is constructed to play up the legend of Bruce Lee.

Perhaps the biggest reason for this is this fight's role in the development of JKD. Linda Lee cites this as a pivitol moment for Bruce Lee which caused him basically to tear down and reconstruct Jun Fan.

If here account is correct and he one decisively wouldn't that prove his existing principles? I mean, even if it took longer than planned, a decisive victory is still a decisive victory. The time elements could be solved by tweaking rather than wholesale reconstruction. However, if the fight was more or less a draw (as the second article suggests) that would better support the notion of going back to the drawing board.

This is the stuff of MA legend. I'm just curious about getting somewhere to a handle on a median story.

Let's step away from the Chi issues for a moment. Or does there presence negate any possibility of truth from the contrarian account?

- Matt
    Last edited by Matt Bernius; 7/27/2006 5:58pm at .
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Posted On:
    7/27/2006 5:41pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am with you Matt - except for the idea that WJM didn't use his d34dly shaolin kicks because he didn't want to injure Bruce.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/27/2006 5:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendetta
    I am with you Matt - except for the idea that WJM didn't use his d34dly shaolin kicks because he didn't want to injure Bruce.
    As far as the kick part - I believe WJM probably believes that. Now what the truth is... well, you know how that one goes.

- Matt
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Posted On:
    7/27/2006 6:58pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can't maim a muthfucka in an underground chinatown grudge match, then when can you maim a muthafucka?!??!

Posted On:
    7/27/2006 11:10pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, according to the movie...

Posted On:
    7/28/2006 12:31am

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendetta
    If you can't maim a muthfucka in an underground chinatown grudge match, then when can you maim a muthafucka?!??!
    After watching all the MMA fights where prople get hurt, it's hard to believe two guys really going at it could come out without a scratch. James Wing Woo discusses it in his book, where he basically looks at the fight as two young guys afraid to close in and do any damage, because they were both afraid to get hurt. How accurate is that, I have no idea, but it is an interesting view of the whole thing. BTW, Woo was not a big fan of Bruce's, so, you can take the whole thing for what its it's worth. I'm going back to watching an Old match of Azem Matzujai going for the Title in a mauy thai match. They seem to be getting cut and bruised- how about that?

Genius

Posted On:
    7/28/2006 12:40am

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hearsay from Inosanto describes the fight as Lee chasing Wong for most of the time then finally catching him and throwing a few punches for the win.

After that fight, Lee started working on his conditioning because he was so winded from the pursuit.

Genius

Posted On:
    7/28/2006 12:42am

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    After watching all the MMA fights where prople get hurt, it's hard to believe two guys really going at it could come out without a scratch.
    Did they?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast