Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2006 6:48am

Style: Nothing currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Very interested in FMA

Hi, I've read every thread on FMA I can find (though 'FMA' is unsearchable, not enough letters, so I've probobly missed a few threads) and I am very interested.

My question is, is there anything specific to look out for in an FMA school to know if it is good or bad, beyond sparing? I really don't know anything about it, besides what I have read and watching videos has shown me that some of it looks like what many call 'bullshido' but it seems to be universely praised as applicable and real. I find that interesting.

How does silat compare to other emtpy-handed arts?

Does anyone have any videos of good silat sparing, or silat used in competition?

Does anyone have any links to good Kali/Arnis/Eskrima/FMA in general schools I could look at for reference, besides the Dog Brothers?

Are the Dog Brothers respected as good FMA, or just really tough guys?

Lastly, does anyone know any reputable schools in Massachusetts that teach good FMA?

I posted in this forum because my main concern is to avoid FMA bullshido, are there any specific organizations to watch out for?

Thanks in advance.

Posted On:
    7/20/2006 8:23am

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. If you're concerned about empty hand, you should be looking elswhere besides FMA. There are useful things to learn to apply to empty hand, but you're not going to get nearly as much out of it as you would a dedicated empty hand system (boxing, Muay Thai, kyokushin, etc.)

2. Here are some videos (good, bad, & ugly): Videos

3. Here are a few reference sites (of varying quality): Kali, Eskrima, Arnis, Martial Way

4. The DBMA guys know their stuff and are always coming up with new ways to apply FMA principles to all kinds of situations, from sparring to self-defense.

5. Not right off the top of my head, maybe someone else on here will know.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2006 8:31am

Style: Nothing currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awsome, thank you very much, I have lots more reading to do now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2006 8:41am

Style: grab & elbow the head

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman
    1. If you're concerned about empty hand, you should be looking elswhere besides FMA. There are useful things to learn to apply to empty hand, but you're not going to get nearly as much out of it as you would a dedicated empty hand system (boxing, Muay Thai, kyokushin, etc.)
    i disagree, the fma have holistic empty hand fighting systems as well

Posted On:
    7/20/2006 8:49am

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are a few different groups, Lameco Eskrima, LaCoste instructors certified by Dan Inosanto and Pekiti Tirsia all three have excellent reputations. Do not be afraid to check any schools references. There are bullshido artists who read a book, watched a video or went to a seminar and think they are capable of teaching these arts. Also look at how they spar, the Lameco gear is used by all three of those groups I believe. This allows them to practice with speed, power and above all, resistance.

The Sayocs also have a reputation for tough training however I can't speak on it as I don't know any of their students.

The Dog Brothers are definitely respectable for reasons that this board is familiar with.

There are tons of other groups that I am sure are just as viable and high quality as the first three I mentioned, but I am not as familiar with them and so I prefer not to vouch for them.

Whatever group you choose, good luck to you. I hope you find an instructor you can enjoy working with and learning from.

Posted On:
    7/20/2006 8:52am

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by odd_lifter
    i disagree, the fma have holistic empty hand fighting systems as well
    Until I see a dedicated FMAer in the ring with a boxer/ kickboxer and go toe to toe and acquit themselves well, I stand by my opinion.

Edit: Oh yeah, you should be able to find an Inosanto school around there, he has several students with their own schools in the New England area.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/20/2006 9:02am

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi.1
    Frankly, a lot of Silat will resemble some of the esoteric Chinese systems of handwork. FMA hand work, Panatuken in particular, tends to resemble western boxing. If you're looking at things from the MMA rubric, I'd consider a good FMA prior to Silat. That said there is good Silat out there.

The key thing to understand with any of these is that they begin with inherent ideology of escalation -- namely you don't show up to a fist fight without a weapon. As such, weapon work will always be the first focus.

Does anyone have any links to good Kali/Arnis/Eskrima/FMA in general schools I could look at for reference, besides the Dog Brothers?
    Admittedly, I tend to pimp Pekiti Tersia and Kali DeLeon:

http://www.pekiti-tirsia.com/
    http://www.pekiti-tirsia.net/
    http://www.kalideleon.com/ (there's a pretty long intro on this one)

Depends with Dog Brother. In general FMA people appreciate the work that the Dog Brothers are doing. Knaus especially has a lot of respect in the FMA community. Denny's earned a lot as well.

Where some of the FMA "old guard" grumbles about the DB's (or at least they did in the past) is in the stick vs blade focus and an over reliance on grappling in the early days. Basically they would complain that some folks would wade through shots that, without the helmets, would have seriously hurt them in order to get to the grapple. They also felt that too much of a focus on "stick fighting" caused people to forget that sticks in the FMA were stand ins for blades. On that later note Denny and Knaus have done a lot to explain their ideology since that time. Most of these comments I heard in the '98/'99 time frame. So it's a bit out of date. In talks with Poi and other folks involved with the Dog Brothers, it seems clear that now adays, anyone whose up and coming in the FMA (at least stateside) is going to spend some time with them, if for no other reason than that's where they can find a lot of the current fighters gathering.

Lastly, does anyone know any reputable schools in Massachusetts that teach good FMA?
    Yeah. Just depends where you are.

I posted in this forum because my main concern is to avoid FMA bullshido, are there any specific organizations to watch out for?
    That's an ok idea, but there really are not alot of FMA people on here. And only a few who I think have a really solid grasp on FMA (Poi, Red Elvis, Flipper, and Hawkeye are the ones who immediately come to mind) -- at least enough to really tell Bullshido FMA from non Bullshido stuff. I'd also suggest reading a bit on fmaforums.org where there are a number of higher level practioners over there.

- Matt
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

AK: Giving new meaning to the word "Unfair."

Posted On:
    7/20/2006 9:04am

Style: Out-Of-Shape MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just make sure it's not a stick fighting choreography school. I can't say much on the FMA scene, but I do know THIS: choreography and sparring are not the same, so if all the school does is run through pre-set two-man drills, and never even TRIES to apply it full speed (alive), then it's just another waste of time.

Not saying it isn't out there, but the half-dozen times I've seen people practice (what I can only assume to be kali/escrima/silat/the one with the sticks), they were drilling, and NOT sparring. So find those that do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2006 9:25am

Style: PTK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi, I've read every thread on FMA I can find (though 'FMA' is unsearchable, not enough letters, so I've probobly missed a few threads) and I am very interested.

My question is, is there anything specific to look out for in an FMA school to know if it is good or bad, beyond sparing? I really don't know anything about it, besides what I have read and watching videos has shown me that some of it looks like what many call 'bullshido' but it seems to be universely praised as applicable and real. I find that interesting.
    IMHO sparring is a tool. It becomes somewhat counter productive when it's ALL you do.

Look for a teacher who learned his art from someone for years, not through seminars. (bear in mind that this advise was past on to me from visiting foriegn FMA students. In the Philippines, there are hardly any FMA seminars. It's either you study it seriously or you do not.)

Some of the FMA I've seen (where I live) does look like silat empty handed. The silat I'm comparing it to is silat from Mindanao, southern part of the Philippines, not from Indonesia.

Does anyone have any videos of good silat sparing, or silat used in competition?
    Try youtube

There are lot of excellent FMa styles: balintawak, Illustrisimo, Pekiti Tirsia kali, Lapunti, etc. There's more to FMA than the dog brothers.

Depends on who you ask. Personally I give those guys a lot of respect, they really put their skills to the test, but I do have some issues with that kali tudo / BJJ mix they're doing. You can't try to absorb a hit and try for the takedown when blades are involved.

Most of the FMA people in the homeland have mixed feeling about it, ranging from curiosity and admiration to loathing, condemnation and amusement.

of course I could be biased and give you the local PTK group but to be honest FMA is so varied that it really depends on what you're after. Just knives? Mostly sticks? Machetes and knives? Sport applications? Hybrid styles? Lots to choose from..

I'm a newbie at detecting FMA bullshido, mainly because you can't sell that here. People will test you and it weeds out the crap. So if you ask me what groups are bullshido, I can't really point to a specific organization (except for that Missouri school I found on youtube).

Posted On:
    7/20/2006 11:28am

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some schools will have more of a focus on empty hand, which is known by various names such as Panantukan, dirty boxing, or something else. Filipinos have a long tradition in boxing, so it is not uncommon for a stickfighting club to also do boxing. Strikes such as the bolo punch (body hook) stem directly from Filipino stickfighting.

Dog Brothers are respected as innovative, tough, good fighters.

Now, as mentioned, there is Bullshido within the FMA community. The most common being seminar-certified instructors. Unfortunately some touring instructors such as Remy Presas did offer instructorships based off of attendance in seminars. Even if the system itself was legit, some people who weren't well qualified ended up with rank. Beware of this.

Also consider that rank withing the different FMA systems varies wildly. Some systems will certify someone as a basic instructor in only a couple of years. Worse yet, they may have no sparring or live training experience. Then this person may pass themselves off as an expert, even though they've just learned some basics.

Steer clear of systems that just swing the sticks in dead patterns and have you dance with a partner. Heaven 6/Sinawali two man drills are for basic coordination only. The skills developed in such pattern drills are not directly combat applicable. Dancing is not fighting.

Look for live applications. Sparring, obviously. Unpredictable attack and defend drills are good too. Drills that are more freestyle in nature, and aren't prescribed patterns can be constructive.

Also, try to understand what type of weapons work the club trains for. Is the stick representative of a blade? Or is the stick treated as an impact weapon? If it is the former, fluidity is key. If the latter, then power is the ultimate goal. There should be a different approach, depending on the type of weapon. Once you figure out their focus, watch what they are doing and see if it makes sense. If they are a blade system, would the moves that they are doing get them killed in a sword fight? If they are an impact system, could they knock someone out quickly?

Some systems get a little too caught up in style and flourish, and miss the entire point.
Page 1 of 21 1 234511 ... LastLast