Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/21/2006 1:36pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First off, where are you going to college? Lots of colleges have great MA clubs on campus for little or no money.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    7/21/2006 2:52pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing and Judo are the two most common martial arts, two of the lowest cost martial arts, and two of the best martial arts for self defense, competition, or just a general workout. If you can't find a good mma school, take one of them.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    7/22/2006 2:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesyad
    one thing that bothers me, about shou shu... is everything
    Quite right too. Never consider a martial art that sounds remotely like pastry.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2006 7:49pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think youll find that the majority or kung fu schools teach innefective choreographed, ways of fighting (however there are some very effective forms of kung fu). I think if you want to find an effective form of kung fu Omega is probably the best person to talk to about that. Karate is usually a very easy to find art, but one problem, most karate sucks ass too (with the acception of Kyokushin Kai karate, kempo karate, and several others/). But i reccomend taking an entirely new art alltogether, like other have said, BJJ, Muay Thai, Wrestling, Judo, Boxing, kickboxing, are all very good and you shouldnt have too much trouble finding atleast one of those.
    Hope that helped a bit.
    SSB

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    7/22/2006 8:03pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup we are going to take a n00b with a Ninjer Avatar seriously.

**** off and die. I would prefer you kill yourself.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/23/2006 1:51am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: shou shu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well i will be going to school in san fransisco.... its a private school... (art major is what im going for)... i dont think they even have a sports team...

but anyways... yea i will most likly be trying for MT or BJJ... but any MMA, gym thing would be awsome too... just looking for some real life, ...usefull stuff....

oh and the avatar... lol c'mon... whats not kool about that guy!.... :ninja7:

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    7/23/2006 3:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SevSB
    Imost karate sucks ass too (with the acception of Kyokushin Kai karate, kempo karate, and several others/)
    By the emperor's beard! So karate's bad mmm'kay.... except lots of karate styles mmm'kay... which aren't bad. Enlightenment at last.

Nesyad... If you only have access to kung fu... tough break, but it's way better than nothing. Train at it until you go to college, then, like Hitman said, your college is probably going to have a shitload of choices. By continuing training now, you'll be fit, flexible, drilled... and hopefully used to getting smacked around.

Also, don't worry about having to "start over". You never start over... you just add and adapt.

Good luck

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2006 9:29pm

Style: Muay thai - Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most of the time, the only karate styles that are worth being mentionned as martial arts are the kyokushin based styles. Gojo ryu/shotokan/xx-ryu, etc... are often utter crap.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    7/23/2006 9:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sokaku
    Most of the time, the only karate styles that are worth being mentionned as martial arts are the kyokushin based styles. Gojo ryu/shotokan/xx-ryu, etc... are often utter crap.
    They usually are but that doesn't always

Here is the only somewhat decent Goju clip I could find on YouTube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXY4FgKlLok&search=goju

the rest are kind of lame

Anyways don't judge a soley school by it's styles name no what it is you're looking for.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/23/2006 9:54pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

It seems the nutriders came out of the woodwork on this thread

The primary thing you want to look for in any given EFFECTIVE martial art is that the training includes sparring against fully resisting partners at some point not too long after you begin.

PirateJon is right about boxing and Judo. You would be hard pressed to find a martial art as cheap and as effective as those two. While BJJ is good for the grappling range of fighting (and truthfully, little else), it's probably also one of the more expensive MA's to train. MMA is also good, but usually as expensive as BJJ if taught by credible instructors.

If I was your age I would take boxing and Judo if I had the time. They are both great MA's that provide a solid foundation for other martial arts should you decide to crosstrain further. Wrestling is also good, but it will be difficult to walk on to a college wrestling team with no prior experience.
    Shut the hell up and train.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast