Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/20/2006 5:58pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here I was thinking this thread was going to be about something ENTIRELY different.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/20/2006 9:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, ankle locks were what they were covering that day

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/20/2006 10:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    Doesn't sound like most jjj.
    Sounds like a grappling school.
    Still doesn't make it bjj, though that's somewhat moot.
    Agreed.

They did teach you a good amount (probably too much IMHO) on the first day though. But if you like it, stick with it, while their advertising may be a point of contention for some, a solid grappling school is a good thing.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    7/21/2006 9:04am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    90% of what you're taught for the first few months you forget anyway so it doesn't really matter what they teach.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/21/2006 12:03pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by J3SSTER
    ok tell me if this sounds like jjj or bjj going off my first class.

I walk in, sign a waver, take my shoes off, and sit down and watch for about 5 minutes as a guy explains to me closed and open guard, half guard, mount, and side mount. Then he showed me some basic submissions, 3 different ankle locks, rear naked and guillotine choke, a triangle from guard, and a kimura. Then after drilling all these for about an hour, and going up and down the mat with hip escapes, i got assigned to another guy, i think he said he was a brown belt, and we rolled around for about 45 minutes. needless to say i never tapped him, and he tore me up.
    It sounds kind of add, in a good way, but odd. I think they showed you too much material on the first class. The most I've seen in a typical Judo/BJJ class is two sumbmissions and possibly some escapes (three techinques at the most), which we get to drill, then some Q&A and then sparring.

If they get to repeat the same or similar techniques over and over in each class, that may be good. If each class is substantially different from one another and yet each is jammed with info, that may be counterproductive. I have a hard time trying to remember what the **** we did last night (one submission and one guard pass), my mind would be in WTF mode with so much info.

It seems to me that they are using the term "Brazilian JJ" to denote grappling, or they are trying to give credit to BJJ for the grappling concepts they are incorporating in their JJ curriculum.

However, by using that term, it gives the idea, intentionally or not, that they have some sort of BJJ lineage (I hate that word.)

Even if it's BS in that part, meh, if what they teach works, and if you like it, just stick to it IMO. It will be hard to tell if they are teaching good stuff until you try it for a while.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2006 1:13pm

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Instead of worrying about wether it's Brazilian or Japanese just ask them about competition. If they compete and do well then it should be a fine school to train at. I would think since they also train Judo and alot of the instructors seem to be ranked Judoka that they are not adverse to competition and it's probably a good school.

There's a JJJ school in my city that focuses on ground grappling and is basically run like your average BJJ school. They regularly compete at NAGA events and do pretty well for themselves. Not all JJJ is the same.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    7/21/2006 1:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meager
    Instead of worrying about wether it's Brazilian or Japanese just ask them about competition. If they compete and do well then it should be a fine school to train at. I would think since they also train Judo and alot of the instructors seem to be ranked Judoka that they are not adverse to competition and it's probably a good school.

There's a JJJ school in my city that focuses on ground grappling and is basically run like your average BJJ school. They regularly compete at NAGA events and do pretty well for themselves. Not all JJJ is the same.
    This, along with encouraging you to try other grappling schools out as you travel as a barometer, is really the best advice.
    At this point it doesn't really matter what you train as long as you can guage how well they do in competition.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345