Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 6:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

japanese/brazilian hybrid?

ok, first off, hey im new, now to the topic at hand.

http://www.bluespringsjujitsu.com/jujitsu_program.html

i quote "Our PROGRAM incorporates a complimentary blend of Japanese and Brazilian theories and techniques and systematically teaches students how to use these time-honored systems to be effective students of self-defense" (i dont know how to quote yet, sry)

so i show up for my first class, and of course knowing nothing of the difference between japanese and brazilian jujitsu save where they're from, i see no difference between what ive seen of bjj on the internet. So i get to talking with the guy i was rolling with, a brown belt i think is what he was, and he tells me that what they teach is really just bjj, with some exceptions. I didnt poke around at what these exceptions are, but i was wondering if any of you had ever seen anything like it? I expect to keep studying there, as i really enjoyed my first class, but i dont really know about this whole hybrid style deal.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 7:01pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is no one there qualified to teach bjj. What they teach may be useful, effective etc but it isn't bjj. The lead guy has a high rank in judo, which should be verifiable if it is through a legit organization.

Also, their star standup guy is undefeated in tournament practice.
    WTF?

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 7:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I looked at the instructors pages and no one has listed a rank or experience in BJJ. That they blend "Brazilian theories and techniques" sounds almost like they are either just picking out stuff from the EXCELLENT (pun) book "BJJ : T&T" or are just borrowing the position before submission thing and the positional hierarchy.

It doesn't really say much about the school or the quality of training. Find a BJJ school and see how the training there differs from what you learn at this school. If you really want to be doing BJJ I wouldn't want to settle for anything else.

I train at a place like this (mix of lots of stuff but calling itself JJ) and I started BJJ as well. Both places might provide you with something, but like I said, if you want BJJ you should do BJJ.
    More human than human is our motto.

Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 7:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    WTF?
    I was trying to figure that out myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Imagine if track was run like the martial arts community. While the winning teams would just sprint down the field, smoking the competition, you'd have a bunch of losers running around explaining how they can skip down the track just as fast. Never mind that it doesn't fucking work. Oh no, they're too fast for track. They run on the STREET.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 7:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hahaha! this caught my eye though:

In the second picture with the bear is a picture of Sensei Mike Hillen. Don't worry, bear wrestling is not a requirement for advancement in Judo. This is a picture that Sensei Hillen is proud of and certainly demonstrated his skills in Judo as he defended himself against the bear. Although bear wrestling is now illegal, this event was held legally several years ago in Kansas City. The bear was declawed and had a muzzel on. The way I understand it, the objective was not so much to throw the bear, but to not be thrown by the bear. Sensei Mike Hillen was the only one this night to not be thrown by the bear.
    More human than human is our motto.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 8:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thx guys, and ya, if there was a strictly bjj place around here i would go there exclusively, but theres not for a good 50 miles around, and i dont want to have a high school job support that gas sink. Id rather learn blended jujitsu than keep with my tkd. (which i despise about as much as the rest of you, i have evolved from my 5th grade self)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 8:29pm

Style: BJJ and MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey they have a picture with rocyce so you know it's good. It's kinda like that part of "AnchorMan: The Story of Ron Burgundy" when his friend says while he's putting on cologne,
    "It's made of bits of real panther so you know its good", but then he walks out of the office and everyone erupts into hysteria because the cologne sucks.

There have been some styles that do very well with incorperating bjj techniques into their system. I'm just guessing here but they may have just taken a couple of seminars and incorperated some of the moves they learned into their Judo program and called the result "Jujitsu".

Edit: He may infact have a blue belt in jiujitsu, i see a blue belt in the Royce Gracie picture, but doesnt royce give blue belts out to anyone who's accomplished in Judo?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 8:44pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    WTF?
    That's what happen when people get caught on their own elaborate bullshit. Kinda reminds me of a crook (yep, he turned out to be a crook) that I worked with.

One time he promised to give this manager a copy of floppy disks for MS Excel (one of the first versions that came out.) So he came with some manually labeled disks and told the manager that he brought for him a set of original copies of the software? The manager gave him a WTF look with that original copies comment.

Probably the same **** occurred with these tournament practices.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 8:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fanatical
    hahaha! this caught my eye though:

The results were terrifying. Bear semen is a real tough stain to get out.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 8:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by J3SSTER
    thx guys, and ya, if there was a strictly bjj place around here i would go there exclusively, but theres not for a good 50 miles around, and i dont want to have a high school job support that gas sink. Id rather learn blended jujitsu than keep with my tkd. (which i despise about as much as the rest of you, i have evolved from my 5th grade self)
    You're in high school? You should join the wrestling team too, if they have it.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast