Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2006 7:08pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Do BJJ schools recognize each other's training, rankings, etc?

I finally got my ass in gear and started checking out local BJJ schools this week. I loved my first class, and I'll be making a decision about where to go after I've tried out 2 or 3 other local schools over the next week.

Something I'm wondering about though: if you start training under a particular BJJ organisation, but then switch to another school, is your training, belt ranking, etc. generally recognised? Probably more importantly, is there a big variation in what one learns at different BJJ schools? Or any weird rivalries, politics etc. between different BJJ organisations that might be relevant? I'm asking because I'll likely be moving sometime in the next year or two to start my PhD.

I'm in Vancouver now, and we have Gracie Barra, Marcus Soares/Carlson Gracie, Machado and Megaton Dias affiliated schools here. I'll likely be moving to Toronto or Kingston for my PhD. I know there are definitely Soares affiliated instructors in Toronto, but am wondering if that should be a big factor in my choice of who I start training with here.

Also, for Vancouver area folks, are there any stores in town that sell BJJ kimonos, or it best just to order one online or through your club?

Thanks.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    7/15/2006 7:29pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In general, it won't matter if they recognize your rank or not. If "such and such" respected BJJer gave you a rank, you'll earn it really fast at the other school by putting everybody below you to shame. If you can't do that, then you really don't deserve the rank in the first place.

Rivalries and such... I wouldn't expect many outside of Brazil.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2006 7:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Phalange
    In general, it won't matter if they recognize your rank or not. If "such and such" respected BJJer gave you a rank, you'll earn it really fast at the other school by putting everybody below you to shame. If you can't do that, then you really don't deserve the rank in the first place.
    Sounds fair to me.

Are basic training methodolgies, techniques, terminology, etc. fairly consistent between instructors? Most of my experience in the past was with Filipino martial arts, and I found some of these things tended to vary a lot between particular systems and instructors (even footwork, strikes, etc).

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    7/15/2006 8:03pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Effectiveness in sparring is all they really care about. They might teach a technique differently, but if you do it your own way and still make it work (and you're not just powering through it), nobody will really care. They might even learn from you.

Terminology... eh...

There is no set terminology. Usually you need to describe it "the choke where you grab his lapel and do an armbar motion with it." or stuff like that. Basic stuff like "triangle", "armbar", "Rear naked choke", should be the same, though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2006 8:55pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Phalange
    Effectiveness in sparring is all they really care about. They might teach a technique differently, but if you do it your own way and still make it work (and you're not just powering through it), nobody will really care. They might even learn from you.
    Exactly. Skill is recognized anywhere, even if your rank isn't.

Host-Personal Defense TV

Posted On:
    7/16/2006 1:50am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the most part yes. In order to insure cross-over, compete. If you place in a known tourney at your rank, then it is hard to justify you not being that rank.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 12:06am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They respect it, but if they don't rank up against the others of lower belts, they'll talk trash. For instance, we just had a blue belt come into our studio that wasn't really that good. Our advanced white belts nailed him consistantly. After he left, we all started talking trash.

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 2:41am

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's just a belt. You'll look really silly if you can't perform to the level they expect though.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 6:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only time I've heard of it being questioned was when rank was given out at a seminar or some similar circumstances. If it comes from a legit instructor, they all honor the rank as far as I've seen. Now, respect for your skills - that you have to earn.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 7:41am

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i personally wear a white belt when I go to another school within the same system if I am looking to join. I do tell them how long I have trained if asked, not what my ranking is.

rank doesnt really matter anyways, unless you are using for expereince levels in any sort of tournament.

even if they don't accept it, you would probably get it back in a short amount of time.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast