Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 5:17pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Jean-Jaques Machado Academy in Tarzana

I'm going to be relocating from the bay area to southern california a little west of the san fernando valley. This Machado studio in Tarzana will be the closest to me. Does anyone train there? If so, how is it? Obviously JJ Machado is an accomplished grappler, but I was interested to see how his school is run. I'd appreciate anyone's input who trained there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 5:49pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drew-jitsu
    I'm going to be relocating from the bay area to southern california a little west of the san fernando valley. This Machado studio in Tarzana will be the closest to me. Does anyone train there? If so, how is it? Obviously JJ Machado is an accomplished grappler, but I was interested to see how his school is run. I'd appreciate anyone's input who trained there.
    I train at his brother's, Rigan Machado's academy, but have trained at JJ's school before. His guys are hard core and he's a hands-on coach. We do interschool tournaments - and his guys are all very tough.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 6:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by biscuit
    I train at his brother's, Rigan Machado's academy, but have trained at JJ's school before. His guys are hard core and he's a hands-on coach. We do interschool tournaments - and his guys are all very tough.
    What do you mean by hardcore? Overly aggressive with attitudes type? Go 100% all the time even in sparring hardcore? I like the hands on part. That really appeals to me. I guess I'll just have to see for myself when I move down there. Also if you could clarify. In the class schedule, it has sessions for beginners and advanced. What would be considered beginner and what would be advanced? Are all white belts beginners or are just the ones with under x months of training?

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 6:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why don't you as THEM?
    More human than human is our motto.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 6:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fanatical
    Why don't you as THEM?
    because that would be too easy and make too much sense. You don't really appreciate an answer unless you have to work for it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2006 6:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drew-jitsu
    What do you mean by hardcore? Overly aggressive with attitudes type? Go 100% all the time even in sparring hardcore? I like the hands on part. That really appeals to me. I guess I'll just have to see for myself when I move down there. Also if you could clarify. In the class schedule, it has sessions for beginners and advanced. What would be considered beginner and what would be advanced? Are all white belts beginners or are just the ones with under x months of training?
    The Machado motto is "Leave your ego at the door". They mean it. If you train like an asshole you will get ejected.

JJ is a master technician. they teach position then submission. His students are well trained. They train hard, but they are not trying to UFC each other every fight. But, that said, everyone usually rolls with everyone, so its not like blue belts only roll with blue belts, etc.

If you have less than six months experience, start in the beginners class then move up if it feels comfortable. JJ will let you know if you need to move up or stay where you are.

I am familiar with one other BB up in that general area as well. Wander Braga. An excellent jj bb as well as an accomplished cage fighter - and a very nice person. If you want more info on Wander, I'll look it up for you.