Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/10/2007 2:02pm

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth seeker
    Basics - the fundamentals of the martial arts. These moves are separated into categories such as stances, blocks, strikes, and kicks.

Primitive Stage - the stage of learning where moves are crudely executed. See also: Mechanical Stage, Spontaneous Stage.

Mechanical Stage - the stage of learning where movements are clarified and defined. Students will often be more equipped to verbalize answers rather than physically utilize them. See also: Primitive Stage, Spontaneous Stage.

Spontaneous Stage - stage of learning where the student's reactions are natural. See also: Primitive Stage, Mechanical Stage.

Three Phase Concept - teaches you to view self-defense techniques in three phases: Ideal Phase, What-If Phase, and Formulation Phase.

Ideal Phase- the first analytical process of dissecting a technique. Entails structuring specific and fixed moves of a selected sequence of movements which take into consideration the anticipated reactions. See also: What-If Phase, Formulation Phase.

What-if Phase- second analytical process of dissecting techniques. This one takes additional variables that go beyond the Ideal Phase. Expected and unexpected actions are all taken into account. Leads to Formulation Phase.

Forumlation Phase - the third analytical process of dissecting a technique. Involves the actual application of your newly found alternatives to the original ideal phase. See also: What-If Phase.

Kenpo Terminology " Ed Parker's "Encyclopedia of Kenpo"

Glossary of Kenpo Karate Terminolgy

Just for fun.

YouTube - Ed Parker - Basics

YouTube - Paul Mills American Kenpo Speed Set

Enjoy

T.S.
    exactly.

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    8/10/2007 7:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shoushutiger
    At my school we use those set, choreographed techniques and practice them repeatedly to produce muscle memory.
    So you basically train how not to hit someone, against someone who is making it extremely easy for you..... and calling it self-defense training.

You know yourself this type of training is not realistic and doesn't give you feedback on whether the moves would really work, so you might as well admit to yourself that it is bullshidoism and move on to more useful training methods, or at least be honest with yourself.
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2007 8:01pm

Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

When we were young!

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 12:39am

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 1:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    techniques=combinations (left left right uppercut jab kick)
    demos=movie fight scene

if you made a fictional movie using muay thai it would be fake, but that wouldn't mean muay thai is fake. Demos don't teach you how to fight, they're basically home-made movies.

If you saw a shou shu guy fight you would probably say 'that doesnt look like shou shu, he's just punching a guy repeatedly!'

So saying shou shu doesn't work is basically saying punching a face and kicking some balls doesn't work. Although I do see where training using coreographed techniques can be misleading. (and kind of silly looking). Of course bowing, gis, and bo-staff skills all look kinda silly(but in a cool way). Its all part of tradition I suppose.

Another way to look at it is, do you memorize moves one at a time, or maybe five at a time. when I did boxing we did combos 5-7 at a time. Same concept but with a wider variety of moves. If you put these techniques together you have a form. Which most of you guys also find useless. And silly looking. Whatever...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 11:24am

Style: Hei Long Shou Shu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, just because we sometimes train with forms, it doesn't mean we don't take aspects of these forms into sparring, because we do. The existence of kata does not make a martial art crap as long as the principles from it can be used in sparring and therefore, fighting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 1:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

????

Quote Originally Posted by shoushutiger
    yeah, just because we sometimes train with forms, it doesn't mean we don't take aspects of these forms into sparring, because we do. The existence of kata does not make a martial art crap as long as the principles from it can be used in sparring and therefore, fighting.
    Never said Shou Shu was crap, Just said (Shou Shu ) is a just a made up name for rearanged Kenpo.

Now with the research on Al Moore's SSN#, and talking with the men that trained him, I can tell you, Al, Ralph and Al Jr was, and is full of crap.

Over the years even the meaning of Shou Shu have changed, Hand techniques, Way of the animals, Beast Knowledge, In the 1976 Fresno interview Al Baby said it just ment you had master all seven beast.

After talking with past & present Shou Shu blacks the main problem with the black belt material and up, is that it keeps changeing which has helped with the many branches of Shou Shu Kenpo.

From our point of view it is because first black is all the Moore's ever completed.
    in the Tracy/Bok fu do systems. The rest just comes and goes.

In the Tracy system, Al learned over 400 technigues, Dance of the Mongoose etc, I am sure you can find many of these rearanged techniques in the higher belts!

Remember.

Easter Bunnie

Santa

Al Moore.

T.S.

Have someone over fifty that has never heard of Shou Shu read Al Moore's interview, and watch the smiles.:5crackup:
    Last edited by Truth seeker; 8/11/2007 1:23pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 1:34pm

Style: Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Why do we only ever see "drills" or "demos" of an art like this and never actual full contact sparring, when it's own protagonists claim that they DO actually spar full contact and that the art is nothing like the demos and is "real"?

Because it isn't anything they say it is. You don't see ONLY BJJ drills and demos, moving at 50% speed OR scripted out beforehand. Sure, there are plenty of vids that are drills. But you also see ADCC, Mundials, NAGAs, training vids of free rolling, MMA, etc. etc. And you don't see only Muay Thai light sparring vids and "demos", you also see competition, full contact fights, and, again, MMA vids which show the principles being used in an environment against OTHER arts and styles, not just a demo with the parent art/style. As a crappy movie with a Scientologist lead once said: "Show me the money!"

I want a vid showing Shou Shu vs. any other artform. Even Aikido. Especially Aikido. That would bring a smile to my face and a hearty chuckle to my belly. And possibly +rep to the lucky winner.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 2:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shou Shu, to deadly to Spar.

[quote=Necroth]I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Why do we only ever see "drills" or "demos" of an art like this and never actual full contact sparring,]

We spent alot of time with Shou Shu practioners, over a year in and out of the different schools, never once did we see a sparring match!

We were told it was to deadly a system to sparr, with all the eye pokes, etc. Funny thay can control the techniques without poking out eye's etc.

I guess all the MA's that sparr, dont have eye pokes, etc.

Mr Al Moore's grand wisdom about sparring is explained in his interview.

HN: I imagine with the little bit I know about Karate there are a lot of differances between actual fighting and being in a tournament.

Da Shifu: It's not even the same thing at all. One is a game. In tournament fighting you get hit and hurt more because you can't knock your opponent out like you do in a street situation.

A street situation, where you're actually in a fight, last two or three seconds and a match may last three minutes and your constantly getting punched.

After you scored your weapons you are getting punched and kicked. The referees aren't getting out there-- they'll yell quit and you're still getting hit and kicked on the legs and so on. Constanly. And then you have the person.

You've just gotton the third point and he knows he has lost and he tries to hit you in the face after they have stopped the match. He'll try to hit you and kick you so that he can say that he was disqualified when he actually lost.
    :llorar:

Guess he did'nt have that Mongoose, get out of the way thing down yet!!

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 2:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I spar.
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 LastLast