Our Sponsors:

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 8:16pm

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    God I hate those videos... sorry, I havent seen good videos that are available, but there are several schools in central California.

Is Hei Long in El Sobrante, Stockton, or Sonora... Mr.Tigerman?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 8:30pm

Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by switchblade
    T.S. you're kinda creepy...

I try. and thank you.

Burson fall 2006. shou shu black belt demo.

camp_burson_fall_2006___karate_demos.wmv

A little in house home work.

How many Shou Shu practioners can you find that have been in the Shou Shu system more than 15 years? 1992.

What is the average age of your top instructors?

Moore claims in the 1976 interview, that he had between 2500 and 3000 students, Page 3.

He also says he had between sixty and seventy black belt in this interview. 1976 and now it's 2007 thirty one years, Where are they?

If these numbers were correct, Highly unlikely.

But let's pretend for a while, what is the % of students that have stayed in the shou Shu system (1976 to 2007)= (1986 to 2007) = (1996 to 2007)=

It's scary to think, Mr Moore had trouble keeping students before he put the Kenpo techniques in the Shou Shu System!

http://homepage.mac.com/tony_baltera/shou_shu/Interview.pdf

T.S.
    Last edited by Truth seeker; 8/09/2007 9:34pm at .

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 9:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth seeker
    Burson fall 2006. shou shu black belt demo.

camp_burson_fall_2006___karate_demos.wmv

A little in house home work.

T.S.
    Damn you're creepy...but you're good.

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 9:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those demos, and there is at least one more almost identically craptastic mass demo "fight" on youtube, are indicative of unrealistic techniques and training methods IMO. If they pressure tested they'd learn it's unrealistic and it'd naturally evolve into something better.
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Posted On:
    8/10/2007 12:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickcatcher
    Those demos, and there is at least one more almost identically craptastic mass demo "fight" on youtube, are indicative of unrealistic techniques and training methods IMO. If they pressure tested they'd learn it's unrealistic and it'd naturally evolve into something better.
    I'm not a big fan of demo "fights" myself, they tend to look like bad kung fu movies. But what do you mean by pressure testing? We spar, many cops have used shou shu (as well as um, guys who arent cops, heh) on the job. And it does evolve. We definitely do more grappling as we come across more drunk redneck UFC fans . The age of BJJ we call it.

I just don't think of improving your punching, kicking, and takedowns as unrealistic. ( though I don't see myself chinese cross-stepping while cranes-beaking anyone anytime soon)

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    8/10/2007 12:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you are saying that those demos aren't supposed to present self-defence situations and techniques, even if admittedly with a 'show' touch?
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Posted On:
    8/10/2007 12:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickcatcher
    So you are saying that those demos aren't supposed to present self-defence situations and techniques, even if admittedly with a 'show' touch?
    No, I am not saying that. But it's obviously choreographed, which is why I don't pay too much attention to demos (or 'techniques' for that matter ). Realistically, you wouldn't use a sword in self-defence. Well, I might.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2007 12:01pm

Style: Hei Long Shou Shu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the most part I agree with switchblade. At my school we use those set, choreographed techniques and practice them repeatedly to produce muscle memory. It is VERY, unlikely that you will get off a full technique in a real fight. But these techniques teach you various hand and leg weapons, and how to do them. So, a skilled shoushuer would take pieces of these techniques and weave them together whenever a opening is found, a block needs to happen, or a takedown is in order. And weapons are of course for show. Except maybe daggers. You could realistically carry a knife. And Hei long is in el sobrante and hayward.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2007 12:04pm

Style: Hei Long Shou Shu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You of course learn hand and leg weapons individually, (and by that I mean like a reverse punch, or chop block, etc.) But a set of movements together is useful for teaching a principle. That is what I was told the purpose of those choreographed movements are.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2007 1:06pm

Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kenpo Terminology

Quote Originally Posted by shoushutiger
    You of course learn hand and leg weapons individually, (and by that I mean like a reverse punch, or chop block, etc.) But a set of movements together is useful for teaching a principle. That is what I was told the purpose of those choreographed movements are.
    Basics - the fundamentals of the martial arts. These moves are separated into categories such as stances, blocks, strikes, and kicks.

Primitive Stage - the stage of learning where moves are crudely executed. See also: Mechanical Stage, Spontaneous Stage.

Mechanical Stage - the stage of learning where movements are clarified and defined. Students will often be more equipped to verbalize answers rather than physically utilize them. See also: Primitive Stage, Spontaneous Stage.

Spontaneous Stage - stage of learning where the student's reactions are natural. See also: Primitive Stage, Mechanical Stage.

Three Phase Concept - teaches you to view self-defense techniques in three phases: Ideal Phase, What-If Phase, and Formulation Phase.

Ideal Phase- the first analytical process of dissecting a technique. Entails structuring specific and fixed moves of a selected sequence of movements which take into consideration the anticipated reactions. See also: What-If Phase, Formulation Phase.

What-if Phase- second analytical process of dissecting techniques. This one takes additional variables that go beyond the Ideal Phase. Expected and unexpected actions are all taken into account. Leads to Formulation Phase.

Forumlation Phase - the third analytical process of dissecting a technique. Involves the actual application of your newly found alternatives to the original ideal phase. See also: What-If Phase.

Kenpo Terminology " Ed Parker's "Encyclopedia of Kenpo"

Glossary of Kenpo Karate Terminolgy

Just for fun.

YouTube - Ed Parker - Basics

YouTube - Paul Mills American Kenpo Speed Set

Enjoy

T.S.
    Last edited by Truth seeker; 8/10/2007 1:41pm at .
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 ... LastLast