Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 4:53pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's all perspective.

A blue belt showing a white belt the basic armbar from the mount is okay. That same white belt turning around and showing another white belt that same move might also be okay.

Many times in class someone jumps in late and didn't get to see the formal instruction by the black belt. So the white belt has to figure out what is going on somehow. Another white belt isn't going to be able to go into all the details, but a rough understanding is okay. Hopefully the black belt will have enough time to stop by and correct any mistakes and possibly demonstrate it again. But if not - no big deal. The white belt has an idea and it will be modified or corrected in a future class.

What would be a big NO-NO is what I saw happening at my old school:

Some TMA instructor would take a private lesson or two from my instructor, then go back to his school across town and teach the move. The problem with this is that the guy in question didn't do regular classes, didn't spar, and was spanked badly the few times he did have to roll with other white belts from the regular class. This guy going off to his own school and trying to teach without any sort of support, either from higher ranks or the black belt instructor himself is doing the students a disservice as he is presenting himself as the sole authority in that environment.

For example I have no trouble as a purple belt showing and teaching people things. But I have back up support. There are other purples, browns, and blacks that are readily availible to correct any mistake I might make, or answer any questions that we as a group may have. I am not the sole authority.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 9:22pm

Style: BJJ and MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At my school were expected to help teach once weave been training for a couple months. For example if someone newer than you asks how to perform the arm bar, then we are expected to try to help that person as much as possible. If we don't know the technique completely then we are told to either ask the head instructor or a higher belt.

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 9:29pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    It's all perspective.

A blue belt showing a white belt the basic armbar from the mount is okay. That same white belt turning around and showing another white belt that same move might also be okay.

Many times in class someone jumps in late and didn't get to see the formal instruction by the black belt. So the white belt has to figure out what is going on somehow. Another white belt isn't going to be able to go into all the details, but a rough understanding is okay. Hopefully the black belt will have enough time to stop by and correct any mistakes and possibly demonstrate it again. But if not - no big deal. The white belt has an idea and it will be modified or corrected in a future class.

What would be a big NO-NO is what I saw happening at my old school:

Some TMA instructor would take a private lesson or two from my instructor, then go back to his school across town and teach the move. The problem with this is that the guy in question didn't do regular classes, didn't spar, and was spanked badly the few times he did have to roll with other white belts from the regular class. This guy going off to his own school and trying to teach without any sort of support, either from higher ranks or the black belt instructor himself is doing the students a disservice as he is presenting himself as the sole authority in that environment.

For example I have no trouble as a purple belt showing and teaching people things. But I have back up support. There are other purples, browns, and blacks that are readily availible to correct any mistake I might make, or answer any questions that we as a group may have. I am not the sole authority.
    IMO something like this would be the best (only) argument in favor of having a belt system as opposed to not having one. If your belt rankings are truly based on individual merit alone, then it can be extremely helpful to a senior instructor with a large class to foster a cooperative learning environment where anyone can tell at a glance who's who.

And obviously this falls apart at schools that promote on anything but merit alone.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 9:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    .....For example I have no trouble as a purple belt showing and teaching people things. But I have back up support. There are other purples, browns, and blacks that are readily availible to correct any mistake I might make, or answer any questions that we as a group may have. I am not the sole authority.....
    What he said. I teach as much as I can and if I don't fully understand a particular component then I would just ask for the instructor to come over for further clarification. You learn more by teaching and explaining sometimes than by just doing.

Leaving the school at night to teach at your own place though is a little shady.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 10:05pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Leaving the school at night to teach at your own place though is a little shady.
    Very shady. That's like taking classes in stats, then trying to teach stats classes at another school.

Posted On:
    7/20/2006 5:24pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Yeah I did that one time with the leg Americana from Scarf hold. I actually assumed it was a gimmick but the purple belt said, "If you can get it that's a solid sub."
    A purple belt taught that one to my class a month or so ago. It;s a cute one for sure.

Posted On:
    7/20/2006 6:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In a formal class you should ask the instructor for help.
    At my club during open-mat the rule is to ask the senior most belt for help because we had too many white belts showing each other techniques incorrectly or only partially right. And with two black belts and four browns, plus a number of purples there is always someone qualified to help out.

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    7/21/2006 3:31am

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I show new guys stuff all the time, but only moves that I know well. I figure the sooner they get some moves to work with, the better.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    7/21/2006 9:06am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PoleFighter
    I show new guys stuff all the time, but only moves that I know well. I figure the sooner they get some moves to work with, the better.
    This is funny. About the only thing I show new guys is a proper side control and mount escapes.
    That's really it.

No I won't show you a twister (not that I know how to do one, I know how to get out of one though). No I won't show you a heel hook.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    7/21/2006 7:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Elvis
    What he said. I teach as much as I can and if I don't fully understand a particular component then I would just ask for the instructor to come over for further clarification. You learn more by teaching and explaining sometimes than by just doing.

Let me clarify... I will teach the move we currently are working on if they don't get it. Not teach a completely different technique. Plus if I don't get it, I ask for help.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12