Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/27/2006 10:24am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Backdraft
    Okay, thanks. They do exist in BJJ, but some people don't like them, is that about right?
    Basically, yes, although I would say they are not emphasized rather than other instructors not liking them. My instructor likes leglocks quite a bit and they are taught at the white belt level, except for heelhooks.

At the last tournament I competed at, I kneebarred (my favorite sub) two guys mostly because they didn't protect their legs and didn't know how to defend them. Forewarned is forearmed and all that.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/27/2006 10:26am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    More like they're deemphasised because they often run counter to the BJJ strategy, i.e. you have to give up dominant position to go for them.
    You don't really know what you're talking about and/or have been taught to leglock from improper positions.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2006 10:33am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    great stuff!!! Keep it up!!! I'm basically just posting this so I get notification of a new post.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/27/2006 10:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    You don't really know what you're talking about and/or have been taught to leglock from improper positions.
    Definitely the former.

What I meant was that attempting leglocks without positional dominance is discouraged. Like trying to ankle lock people all the time from their guard rather than trying to pass. Or trying to heel hook people from under mount rather than escaping.
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    More like they're deemphasised because they often run counter to the BJJ strategy, i.e. you have to give up dominant position to go for them.
    My 'often' here should probably have been a 'sometimes'.

Posted On:
    7/27/2006 10:53am

Style: Shootfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the clarification everyone. I am now less confused. :-)

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/27/2006 10:55am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drew-jitsu
    great stuff!!! Keep it up!!! I'm basically just posting this so I get notification of a new post.
    You realise there's a 'New Posts' button at the top right?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2006 12:21pm

Style: Bok Fu Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey GoldenJonas, you're doing great man! Keep up the good work! :)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/28/2006 10:37am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Day 432…………..

Dear Diary,

Just got back from class, WE GOT CHALLENGED TONIGHT!!!!!!! It was bad ass. A new school opened up about four blocks away. They call their style American Jujitsu. The head instructor came to our school with 6 of his students and asked Mr. Kimple if his guys could roll against ours. None of the AJJ guys were wearing gi’s. They all had TapOutTM fight shorts on and were wearing UnderArmourTM spandex shirts…….homo’s.

Mr. Kimple agreed to the challenge but said that Gracie rules would apply since they were in his school. The AJJ instructor, I think his name was Jim, said fine, and asked what the terms of engagement were. Here were the rules:

1. AJJ must wear royal blue gi’s (we had one extra so they had to share the one we had, it was a quadruple weave);

2. One 20 minute round for each fight;

3. Win by points or submission:

4. The following submissions were illegal – Toe holds, knee bars, heel hooks, neck cranks of any kind, spine manipulations, wrist locks, finger locks, throat chokes, forward arm bars, body locks, and americanas (apparently the Americana is currently under investigation by the Gracie Academy and may be banned from use as it may be determined to be a lesser capitalist bastardization of the Kimura);

5. No Striking or slamming;

6. No takedowns other than a single or double leg take down, osoto gari, or pulling guard;

7. The following point structure applied to the matches:
    a. Pulling Guard – 15 points
    b. Recovering guard – 10 points
    c. Recovering guard from having your back taken – 20 points
    d. Recovering guard from Side Mount – 6 points
    e. Recovering guard from full mount – 13 points
    f. Recovering guard from half guard – 5 points
    g. Recovering guard from turtle (top) – 2 points
    h. Recovering guard from turtle (bottom) – 8 points
    i. Recovering guard from an arm bar attempt – 10 points
    j. Recovering guard from an RNC attempt – 20 points
    k. Recovering guard from any gi choke attempt– 12 points
    l. Each minute guard is held – 5 points per minute
    m. Pass guard – 1 point
    n. Knee on stomach – 1 point
    o. Mount – 1 point
    p. Taking the back – 2 points
    q. Oma Plata without submission – 50 points
    r. Mata Lion without a submission – 75 points (only applies to GJJ students everyone else its just and RNC attempt and no points are awarded)
    s. Single Leg Take Down – 5 points
    t. Double leg take down – 10 points
    u. Other throw – 1 point
    v. Sweep/reversal – 5 points
    w. Rule infraction – minus 5 points;

8. If a tie occurred Mr. Kimple had the final word on deciding the winner of the match.

The AJJ guys agreed and we squared up. The first match was one of our two stripe white belts, Bill, against one of their guys of similar size. It was an exciting match. Bill immediately pulled guard (15 points), to which the AJJ guy moved up to half-guard and Bill immediately pulled back to guard (10 points). Bill then swiveled his hips to attempt an Oma Plata (50 points) but his leg got caught up in the AJJ guy’s belt (which he borrowed from us) and Bill had to recover guard (10 points). By then three minutes had passed (15 points) and the AJJ guy stacked Bills guard and passed him to side mount (1 point). The AJJ guy went for an Americana but Mr. Kimple blew the whistle, stopped the match and penalized the AJJ guy 5 points ( -5 points). He restarted then with the AJJ guy in side mount but Bill shrimped out and recovered guard (6 points). The AJJ guy then immediately sat back and Bill hip heisted him (5 points) to mount (1 point) and the guy gave his back (2 points) so Bill went for the Mata Lion (75 points) but was thrown off over the guys shoulder; Mr. Kimple stopped the match and penalized the AJJ guy 5 points for slamming ( -5 points). Bill tried to roll around to recover guard but AJJ got his back now (2 points) and tried to sink a RNC (0 points) but Bill was quick, he pivoted into the choke and recovered guard (20 points). We were now at 15 minutes and Bill held guard for the next five (25 points) when the match ended. IT WAS A FUCKING SLAUGHTER, the final score was.

GJJ: 234
    AJJ: -7

The AJJ guys didn’t want to fight anymore after that ass kicking we handed to them. The guy that fought Bill had to be transported to the hospital by ambulance for passing out due to dehydration. Apparently they were not used to rolling with a 350lbd quadruple weave gi’s on. Serves them right, stupid MMA nutridders. Their instructor dared us to come to their school and fight because they would not have all of the rules. WHATEVER, jackass, without rules there is anarchy, without rules the beauty of GJJ and the completeness of the system is missed, without rules you have Neanderthals in gi’s throwing each other around and pounding on their chests like pissed silverbacks fighting over a banana. Mr. Kimple told them to follow the stench of the sambo school and maybe there they could find someone on their simplistic preschool grappling level to challenge.

The Tournament is two weeks away; I’m going in on Saturdays for the next two weeks to do tournament specific training. I’ll have to put the chains on SwEeTnEsS though she handles like a 2000lb out of control sled going down hill in this fucking weather.

GJJ for the win,

Chuck, Jr.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    7/28/2006 11:47am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FUcking gold rite thur....
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Posted On:
    7/28/2006 12:00pm

Style: Shootfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I smell a biased rule system somewhere in there...
Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213141521 ... LastLast