Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    7/28/2006 3:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate1481
    Someone mentioned being short of fuel earlier, if u running a diesel & you can run a mix with vegetable oil, don't know for sure but think its 50:50 well mixed
    I do know a couple of guys who use it as it's cheeper, but could have some use in a fuel shortage.
    They've also mentioned adding a pre-injection fuel heater so they can fun on almost pure stuff.

Here's a couple of links i found on it:
    http://www.dieselveg.com/
    http://www.veggiepower.org.uk/page701a.htm
    On an episode of Mythbusters, they ran a diesel car on pure waste oil from the local eatery. The economy went down about 10% and it probably isn't good for your engine in the long run, but if you have nothing else...

Posted On:
    7/28/2006 11:18pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdave
    Hard to go wrong with the H&K USP. I've recomended the compact in .40 to my own Mother, as well as my ex-wife and 2 girlfriends.
    Speaking of SA/DA, do any of you have an opinion on the Taurus 24/7 PRO? I've heard about its feed problems, but it appears that's due to magazine manufacturing errors (I have the specific info if anyone wants it). It sounds like a great gun and I can get it on the cheap. I don't see myself buying a pistol any time soon, but the geek in me wants to do the homework anyway.

Posted On:
    7/29/2006 1:56am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYoung
    Not many pistols can advertise themselves as having killed nine million soldiers, all over Europe and Northern Africa.

That's firepower and range, boyo.
    Nine million? Considering that roughly half the people on battlefields are killed by artillery (with air power taking up a larger and larger percentage since WWII) and most of the remainder being killed by machine guns and rifles, I don't see how one gets to nine million. Remember a pistol is typically used as a defensive weapon at distances under 25 yards. Don Gwinn or someone else with military experience can correct me but I doubt that pistols inflict more then 5% or less of wartime firearm casulties.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    7/29/2006 2:02am

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
    Nine million? Considering that roughly half the people on battlefields are killed by artillery (with air power taking up a larger and larger percentage since WWII) and most of the remainder being killed by machine guns and rifles, I don't see how one gets to nine million. Remember a pistol is typically used as a defensive weapon at distances under 25 yards. Don Gwinn or someone else with military experience can correct me but I doubt that pistols inflict more then 5% or less of wartime firearm casulties.
    Sigh.

I'm so misunderstood.

Jesus had days like this.
    Last edited by DAYoung; 7/29/2006 2:19am at .
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    7/29/2006 4:22am

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
    By the way, you're joking, right? This is very dry wit, yes?
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2006 6:41am

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hapkido_keith
    On an episode of Mythbusters, they ran a diesel car on pure waste oil from the local eatery. The economy went down about 10% and it probably isn't good for your engine in the long run, but if you have nothing else...

Apparently you can run it on straight vegitable oil, but it is best to make sure you filter it properly if you are using oil that has been used to deep fry foods. with just a few jugs and some other compounds you can refine it a bit and separate material you can transform into soap (nota bad idea if civilization colapses) and gylcerol.

I havent priced it lately, but I am curious as to the costof vegitable oil versus diesel. I dont think it has hit the threshold where it is cheaper to go to your local supermarket for a fillup!

Within the next two years expect to see more diesels on the road due to lower sulfer diesel being introduced to gas stations.

Why did they never try this....

Posted On:
    7/31/2006 11:06am

supporting member
     Style: Jujutsu/Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hl1978
    I havent priced it lately, but I am curious as to the costof vegitable oil versus diesel. I dont think it has hit the threshold where it is cheaper to go to your local supermarket for a fillup!
    Diesel here (UK) has hit 1 a liter once or twice reacenlty, to lazy 1 convert that to $/gallon sorry, but veg oil is about 1/4 of that.
    "This won't hurt me a bit..." - My training partner.:new_astha

Posted On:
    7/31/2006 11:10am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate1481
    Diesel here (UK) has hit 1 a liter once or twice reacenlty, to lazy 1 convert that to $/gallon sorry, but veg oil is about 1/4 of that.
    1 is $1.86 as of this morning.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    7/31/2006 7:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. I have zero military experience.

2. I, too thought you were serious about the nine million. I just kind of let it slide by me without much thought, I guess. Did you make a funny?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 11:54am

Style: nada

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    2. I, too thought you were serious about the nine million. I just kind of let it slide by me without much thought, I guess. Did you make a funny?
    He was referring to the assassination of archduke Ferdinand being the event that set the gears of war irreversibly in motion, starting World War I. Thus, the nine million killed being an indirect result of that pistol. I think so, anyway. My Western Civ is a bit rusty...
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 8 LastLast