Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    7/25/2006 5:02pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    The rule is still finger off the trigger, and that's a rule every gun requires, safety or not.
    I was taught to keep the finger straight along the trigger guard (or along the lower stock for some rifles and shotguns). Is this standard?
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/25/2006 6:48pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't tell much about guns, but I can tell you what I do in case of an emergency :P

Last year we got hit by Hurricane Wilma, and to tell you the truth, it wasn't pretty. I don't mean that we got maraunding mobs in motorbikes; we over 4 million people in 4 counties without power for 2 weeks. That's fine, but the problem was that most gas stations didn't have alternate sources of electricity. They were up the wazoo with gas, but couldn't power the pumps. So it was two weeks without electricity and gas.

The lesson is that next time we have a hurricane coming don't just fill the gas tank (which I always do), but fill up an addtional container or two cuz you never know. I have 5 gallons of water at home at all times, plus several cases of bottled water, and gatorade. I also keep enough canned food for 2 weeks - avoid fish BTW. Similarly I keep alka-seltzers in case you eat some canned **** that makes you sick.

Garbanzo beans, turkey, ham, refried beans in cans, cream cheese (which surprisingly can last well in cool room temperature for days) and whole wheat bread/pita, whole wheat bagels and peanut butter. That's my survival food. Yogurt surprisingly keeps good for several days if you keep them in a dark, cool area.

When a hurricane is going to make landfall, I put the bread in the freezer (last longer in case power goes off), put the refrigerator at its coldest, and take any plastic container I can find and fill it with water.

Also, prior to landfall I keep several bags ready with stuff like clothes, medicines and canned food. Pocket knifes, scissors, bandaids, alcohol, tylenol, alka-seltzers, candles, lighters, batteries and flashlights are the order of the day as well (all of them sealed in plastic bags to keep them as dry as possible.) I always designate one of those bags as my bug-out bag in case I got to run on foot and carry all the other bags (.ie. my car gets flooded.)

The one thing I'm still missing is a portable propane grill, and a few small propane gas tanks. When power goes off, you need something to cook, or at least to make coffee - you need coffee btw (or tea if you are a hippie.)

Also, mucho importante, keep all your documents (passports, auto insurance, car registrations, house mortgage papers and **** like that) in ziploc bags... with the ziploc bags grouped in larger plastic bags... in a plastic container... which you MUST shrink wrap when you know a hurricane is going to hit... and which you must put in a safe area in your house.

Also, if the authorities are telling me to get the **** out of the area, I won't be the one moron in national TV saying "I'm not leaving". **** that dumbassery.

Last but not least, I keep this little puppy under my mattress (not that it may do any good in case the mobs come down my way cuz I only have a dozen bullets.)

Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Banished to Fort Worth

Posted On:
    7/25/2006 7:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ya... We neglected the disaster part of the thread a bit.

El Macho habla la verdad. You gotta be prepared and do it well in advance.

I was in Houston when Hurricane Rita passed by. Since it was in the immediate aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, there was a LOT of panic and everyone tried to clear out of town. The state even opened BOTH sides of Interstate 45 to Northbound traffic making it into a giant one way parking lot.

Now, here's the sad part. I mean really sad too, I'm not employing levity. SEVERAL people DIED leaving Houston, and the hurricane never made landfall. One woman, who had to spend the night in a gas station because traffic just wasn't going anywhere, got up in the morning, slipped at the car wash on the way to the bathroom, cracked her skull and died.

TWENTY-THREE elderly folks who lived in a retirement home less than 5 miles from my house made it all the way to Dallas on a bus, only to be BURNED TO DEATH when it caught fire on I45 at the edge of town.

There were a few other incidents, and lots of people ended up going a day or two without food or water on the side of the road. There was no gas to be found anywhere in the city for almost a week. It was pretty unpleasant all around.

Where was I during all this? I was at home. Grilling steaks on the BBQ pit, and drinking ice-cold Coca-Cola while watching this all unfold on the TV. Yes, I had my 1911 in my waistband while I was outside, just in case, but it was all rather uneventful at my place.

I knew early on that every route out of town would be at a dead stop. I had long since been prepared for an emergency, so I settled in and waited it out. In fact, even while the power was out, I had good cell reception and my UPS's were charged, so I had an Internet connection. I was quite comfortable.

So, plan ahead and keep your head and you'll be well ahead of everyone else.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    7/25/2006 8:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was taught to keep the finger straight along the trigger guard (or along the lower stock for some rifles and shotguns). Is this standard?
    Yup. Although if you're talking about putting your finger tip on the trigger guard itself, I don't like to do that. Still possible for the finger to tighten involuntarily if something bad happens and get the trigger. I like my finger on the stock.

But the straight finger is the important part.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/25/2006 8:32pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As for drawing a gun on someone. If it has gone to that point, you had better have the will and the inclination to kill the person you are aiming at. The reason is, you have escalated the fight to lethal force by pointing the weapon and you had better be prepared to justify what you are doing.

Guns are not to scare people, they are for killing. If you pull a gun on someone, they had better become very compliant and stop whatever threatening/violent action they are doing or you are supposed to kill them.

That is the rules that LEO have to abide by, just as anyone else that uses a lethal force instrument.

And to address the finger along the frame issue- it is one of the cardinal rules, but I can't count how many times I have seen it violated by LEO, Military and Civilians. That is why I don't advocate Glocks as newbie pistols. The risk of simpathetic reactions resulting in a negligent discharge is too great. Glocks/XD's and those types of passive only safety weapons should only be for people who train regularly and are extremely serious about firearms and their level of skill.

Posted On:
    7/25/2006 9:41pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before you settle on a shotgun I would test fire both a 12 and twenty gauge to make sure that you are okay with the kick on the former. Additionally, while I do not practice in your state, the legal requirements for owning long arms as verses pistols are minimal. Just make sure you are comfortable operating a pump shotgun before you buy one.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2006 2:19am

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MONGO
    Glocks/XD's and those types of passive only safety weapons should only be for people who train regularly and are extremely serious about firearms and their level of skill.
    What would you then suggest as a "beginner's" weapon? A weapon with DA/SA ? A Sig, or maybe a H&K?

Banished to Fort Worth

Posted On:
    7/26/2006 3:24am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMcHarHar
    What would you then suggest as a "beginner's" weapon? A weapon with DA/SA ? A Sig, or maybe a H&K?
    Hard to go wrong with the H&K USP. I've recomended the compact in .40 to my own Mother, as well as my ex-wife and 2 girlfriends. Another ex-girlfriend carries a Glock 22 (that's the full-size .40), but she's an experienced shooter (she also does BJJ... and drives a motorcycle).

I still have an affinity my 1911's, but it's a personal preference. Some people want a DA so they can carry with the hammer down and still get off a round quickly, which is perfectly understandable. Not everyone is comfortable carrying in condition 1 (nor should they be, I've been shooting for a LOOOONG time after all).

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    7/26/2006 3:26am

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    Yup. Although if you're talking about putting your finger tip on the trigger guard itself, I don't like to do that. Still possible for the finger to tighten involuntarily if something bad happens and get the trigger. I like my finger on the stock.

But the straight finger is the important part.
    OK. Although it's had to keep my finger straight with this much crystal meth in my system...
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast