Posted On:
    7/19/2006 8:20am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What gun do I need? Also, survivalism!

Back story:
    So I was BSing around with some pals and the storm off NC got us talking about hurricane season. So it's probably a good idea to have survival stuff ready in case of disaster since you can't count on the government much, as my friend's relatives in Mississippi can tell you. And the consensus was that since people don't act right, especially the meth heads at the trailerpark down the road, if you're the only one in a few miles with a generator or whatever, you'd better be able to defend yourself.

But I'm new to all this crap. I've never legally owned a gun. I've never thought about dried beans or wood-burning stoves. So..

Question:
    What kind of gun would be good for home defense, easy to maintain, easy to get ammo, etc. I read the home defense thread, but would a .45 still be the best answer? I do plan on taking the concealed carry course soon.

Also, is there any where I can read about "Sub-urban survivalist" stuff that's not full of paranoid ranting about the UN and borderline racism? **** like how to store water and what generators are best and that stuff.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 8:42am

Style: Judo, Xbox

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a .45 and a 20 guage pump action for home defense. I also have an assload of ammo stockpiled, but don't tell Big Brother.

Here is a link to the FEMA (for what it's worth) page on disaster preparedness.

http://www.fema.gov/plan/prepare/pubs.shtm

I've got 2 weeks worth of supplies in my basement. I figure if we need to last longer than 2 weeks it's time to hit the road. I've also got a camping stove and propane. You should have 2 gallons of water per person per day. There are lots of online shops that sell water storage tanks, but you can just buy a bunch of the 5 gallon jugs at your local store.

I also have what I call an OH ****! kit. It's basically a giant duffle bag filled with all of the absolute necessities from our disaster supplies in case of a chemical attack or some such bullshit. That way I can just grab it and go.
    Last edited by Beaton Yu; 7/19/2006 8:48am at .

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 11:20am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    12 guage Shotgun. You can get ammo when you "raid the Walmart" :)

If you looking for something to conceal. anything from a 9mm to a .45 to a .357 magnum will do the job. If you are looking for easy ammo, stay away from .357 sig and 10mm which are harder to come by (as more expensive).

Just a quick word, before Gwinn comes by and puts us to shame with his knowledge.

Infidel

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 12:28pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    12 gauge is great. You can get ammo anywhere. Go for OO Buck or OOO Buck which are basically big ball bearings. Since they spread out a little it will help with hitting something even if you don't aim exactly on.

Pump actions are awesome. I think I've seen a pumpaction jam once in 20 years of shooting. The problem lies with the shooter. People unfamiliar with pump shotguns will fire once and then forget to pump the next round. It sounds silly but it happens, a lot. People are used to just pulling the trigger. I've seen veteran hunters and soldiers fire one round from a pump shotgun then just look at it because it won't fire again. Way to beat this is once you by it, buy a bunch of rounds (Few hundred!) take it to a range, sand pit or shine of your ex girlfriend and practice shooting and loading.

I reccomend the remmington 870. Their simple, sturdy, inexpensive and you can modify it like mad. Pistol grip with stock will REALLY increase your accuracy.

I'm iffy on pistols for self defense. They take a lot of practice to be confident with them and accurate. You'd be surprised at how poorly people shoot pistols dispite how easy it looks.

'd get something heavier than 9mm. Probably 10mm or .45cal. 9mm are cheaper for shooting and target practice but you want stopping power.

1911s are always nice. Glocks. You're paying big bucks for those though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 2:33pm

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you are concerned from a hurricane scenario etc, i suggest doing a search on google for a BOB or bug out bag, basically it is enough supplies to last you a day or two until you get to a safer region stored in a small backpack.

supposedly you should rotate supplies in and out of it so it is fresh and ready to go at a moments notice. they typically include food of some kind like MRE's or beef jerky, some amount of water, a multitool, medication, pancho and the like (think some basic camping supplies).

You will see endless variations on the BOB theme, for various conditions, and lengths of time you need to support yourself with it. when hurricane season comes for you its not bad to have one in your car trunk or in your closet if you need to evacuate quickly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 2:50pm

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    here are some BOB links

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bug-out_bag genearl info on the idea

http://www.aussurvivalist.com/bugout.htm that gives you a decent idea of things to consider

http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_artic...id_article=103
    the above one is good, it has sample kits of various sizes, from stuff you should carry on you at any time (like an LED flashlight or multitool) to a multiday pack.

LED torches are nice since they are lightweight and last a long time since they draw little power.

a couple firestarters (like dryer lint, or crayons and wax paper) is a good idea as well along with some matches dipped in wax (all old boyscout tricks).

sweet tarts and energy bars are a decent idea too, since they are good for quick energy.

the clothing issue all depends on where you live/what the weather is like, but raingear is definatly a good idea.

I used to work near the pentagon, and when 9/11 happened it was a mess. As such, it is a good idea to keep a pretty basic kit or store of supplies in your office, for example extra food and water.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 4:55pm

Style: wing chun, muay thai, KB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    get a shotty, the 870 is a good choice (imho the only choice)

As for pistol, go to a range and shoot a couple, they are like shoes find which ones fit you!

some people swear by glocks, I hate em,
    some people hate 1911's I love em,

I think the best handgun right now hands down is the Sig226 in 9mm. I love the way it feels/shoots/holds up, I've shot 2-3000 rounds without cleaning and never hiccuped.
    Plus it and two mags is 45 rounds of ammo.

if you need a long gun, its pretty hard to beat either the AR or the AK platform,
    get extra mags, 300-1000 rnds and a sight like a red dot. and you are pretty set for anything from space aliens to the UN invading.

As far as Bug out gear, I saw an awesome pack that would be perfect but I can't find the link, I'll try to dig it up, but it looks like a mechanics bag, with pockets all around the edge, plenty of room for med supplies, ammo, food and water.

ymmv, imho etc...
    Last edited by Deer-boxer; 7/19/2006 4:58pm at .

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 5:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're going for something you're going to carry on you, get something that feels good to shoot and that you will be willing to shoot a lot, and do so. Having some huge caliber gun isn't going to do you any good if you can't hit **** with it (cause you never go to the range). I personally think a 9mm is the best type of pistol to start with cause they're easy to shoot, ammo is cheap, and a hollowpoint will still put a big enough hole in someone to ruin their day.

Infidel

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 5:33pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to think a lot of americans were out to lunch and a little crazy with all their home survival kits and go bags and emergency supplies and stuff.

After that **** that went down in New Orleans i completly changed my outlook.

I'd aim for about a weeks worth of supplies.

Water purrification tablits (a must)
    Maybe a water purifier

Mixed food. Army MREs (or superior canadian onces). Peanuts, granola bars and beef jerky.
    Water (just remember you can't carry everything you need for a week)
    Map and compass
    Flashlight and batteries
    Rain poncho
    Decent firstaid kit with imodioum, asprin,
    Sunscreen spf30 and bug juice (off etc..)
    $200 in small bills
    Phone card
    Last edited by vigilus; 7/19/2006 5:50pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 5:39pm

Style: Judo, Xbox

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySpark
    I used to think a lot of americans were out to lunch and a little crazy with all their home survival kits and go bags and emergency supplies and stuff.

Used to?
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast