Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 12:09pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    im a blackbelt in CKD and left it for MMA in June. I'll tell you a bit about it but i can probably answer most other questions you have.

CKD is the church of Chuck Norris. EVERYONE involved in it worships the man. Their annual training conference in Las Vegas (which just ended this past weekend) is to CKDists what Mecca is to Muslims. It's very bizarre.

He's a blackbelt in Machado JJ under Carlos.

CKD is based off of Tang Soo Do, but basically is TSD + crappling and a little less traditional than TSD, i guess is a good way to put it. It's not terrible, because you are learning a bit of everything, and there are some quality instructors in UFAF but the training isn't great.

A lot of the required techniques for belt testing are RETARDED. (Par Exampla: Low spinning elbow to the rear) Up until a few years ago, my school was teaching basic kickboxing combinations and such to use in sparring and on the street, but recently has just totally gone insane and has started teaching retarded point sparring techniques for use in tournaments AND in real life. Although that may just be something my school has done, and not a symptom of all CKD.

It's all point sparring based, by the way.

Why do you want to know about CKD? Are you thinking of trying it out? and where about do you live? I might know an instructor near you or at least may have met them.

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 1:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was wondering what the style was about. The closest school is about 2+ hours away.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/09/2006 10:42am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While everyone respects Norris, he lost a LOT of tournies - he just entered more and traveled all over the country to fight. He lost the Hawaiian Open in the first round in the late sixties to a local 1st dan Kyokushin guy and Martin Buell (now head of Universal Kempo - at that time a Kajukenbo fighter) broke the jaw of one of his team members. Chuck was pissed.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    11/15/2006 1:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Chun Kuk Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can visit www.chunkukdo.com or www.ufaf.org for more information about the style founded by Chuck Norris.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2006 12:09pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, Judo, WTF TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think I'd practice CKD, it sounds like bs.

That being said, I did read CN's book "Secret of inner strength" and it was pretty good. It has some interesting insights into the world of MA's and the people in it at the time he was competing, as well as his time in Korea.

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    12/06/2006 12:20pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan
    While everyone respects Norris, he lost a LOT of tournies - he just entered more and traveled all over the country to fight. He lost the Hawaiian Open in the first round in the late sixties to a local 1st dan Kyokushin guy and Martin Buell (now head of Universal Kempo - at that time a Kajukenbo fighter) broke the jaw of one of his team members. Chuck was pissed.
    Chuck is actually pretty forthright about his losses in his biography "Against All Odds". If you are a Chuck fan it is worth a borrow from the library. If not, you wouldn't read it anyway. It is not "warts and all" but has a few interesting moments - like when he was choked out by Helio

Posted On:
    12/06/2006 7:45pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if chuck is really a black belt in bjj. I would be suprised if he still practices ckd.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/08/2006 7:14am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Goju karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cuk kuk do....
    the only thing I know about chuck norris is that he invented a style (I guess that chuk kud do is it)
    and he is a master of tang soo do
    sound kinda like Rex kwon do lol

Posted On:
    3/25/2007 7:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ChunKukDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    first off nice to see u ryan and miss u at presti's

im a CKD blackbelt and I admit it isnt the BEST MA style around but its not the pushover everyone makes it to be, its a serious style thats well organized, ive learned a lot from it and they compete in the NBL curcuit
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12