Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2007 9:12am

Style: Kung-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Check your state's laws. Google usually works, since most of them are available online. Personally, I do not reccommend carrying such sticks as they are, indeed, illegal in many states. Carrying them concealed would definitely be illegal in many states. I know that in certain parts of Virginia, CCW permits are held to only apply to handguns - Arlington and Fairfax counties being the most notable of these areas. My reccommendation, if you carry a knife, don't use it to defend yourself. If you legally carry a gun, though, feel free. It's really fubar and stupid, I know, since the knife is by far the more controllable of the two weapons, but unfortunately that's the direction the law is going in right now in a lot of localities. Bottom line: check your state/national/provincial/whatever laws BEFORE carrying ANY self defense tool. If you can, sit down and chat with a lawyer. Most will answer self-defense questions Pro Bono and off the record.

Posted On:
    8/05/2007 9:28am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good advice.

In Canada, these kubotans constitute "weapons of convenience" IF they are used primarily as a "key chain". A weapon of convenience refers to anything you might grab in a self defence situation such as a rock, tree branch, can of soup etc....

The clicker of course is the amount of force used to protect yourself. Only as much as is needed. A vague phrase, but one that has a million interpretations, and all rests with your "real anticipation of bodily harm".

"I thought I was going to be killed", would allow for a more vigorous self defence technique than; "I thought I was going to be robbed".

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    8/05/2007 12:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez
    People get so wound up in what is and isnt effective. kubotans are stupid.

Theres one kid at my school who thinks his kubotan (with his deadly hapkido training, and his cresent kick of doom) will break his attackers fingers, ward off vampires and cure cancer.

And he seems to get his arse kicked routinely.

Just punch them the the face! Kick them while theyre down!

didnt need a whole thread to get to that conclusion.
    Just because your friend is a ***** doesn't mean the palmstick in trained hands isn't effective. It just means a palmstick in the hands of a ***** a badass fighter does not make. i.e. a ***** with a palmstick is still a ***** with a palmstick.

My friend can't hit the broad side of a barn with his .40 SIG but it doesn't mean that pistols aren't effective. However, I suppose using your logic it does.

The intelligence on these boards astounds me sometimes.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/05/2007 1:14pm

supporting member
     Style: age&treachery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sure it's been said elsewhere, but minimag (2 AAs) has good heft and is easily explainable to TSA et al.

In fact, it needs no explanation . . . unlike the point-ed stick.

Plus you can, like, see in the dark and stuff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2007 2:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Elvis
    My friend can't hit the broad side of a barn with his .40 SIG but it doesn't mean that pistols aren't effective.
    I'll take it if he can't use it. Damn SIGs are expensive.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    8/05/2007 4:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd go with the maglite, I mean, I have one already nothing to do with self defence.

Another good one is this:

http://www.donrearic.com/fightingmultitool.html (disclaimer, I am not responsible for Rearic's opinion of MMA, grappling, etc)

Easily explained because it has a bunch of uses, but not as shitty as most multitools if you want to use it as a fistload or a "stick" type of weapon. These things are fucking indestructable in my experience, I've had one for 10 years and the blades are still sharp (and not from lack of use) and nothing has broken or bent.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 5:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alternative to the maglite: Inova T4 Rechargeable. 1) It's rechargeable, 2) it's more durable than mag lights, 3) it's a bit brighter, and 4) the battery pack lasts way longer than 2 AA. It's also slightly heavier than a minimag. You'll spend more initially, but it pays for itself in batteries within six monthis if you use a flashlight a lot.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 4:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pocket sticks are silly toys for civilians to carry for SD imo. They add very little in an SD context. If you are justified pulling a weapon, make it one capable of killing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 6:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninPimp
    Pocket sticks are silly toys for civilians to carry for SD imo. They add very little in an SD context. If you are justified pulling a weapon, make it one capable of killing.
    /signed
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123