Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Sardonic or Sarcastic?

Posted On:
    7/18/2006 10:34am

supporting member
     Style: Filipino Kun Tao, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I carry a palm stick in my car and I put it in my computer bag when I fly. It's basically a piece of rattan with points on both ends.

We train the palm stick in our Filipino Kun Tao classes and my instructor has given a few seminars on its use. We have rounded-sticks for practice.

It's not about pressure points, although there are several "superficial nerve areas" that are commonly targeted in Filipino arts that are targeted with the stick, either for direct strike or for grabbing with the stick.

Pictures:

http://www.traditionalfilipinoweapon...alm.sticks.htm
    Last edited by FHoppy; 7/18/2006 10:36am at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    I would so do Buttsecks.

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    7/18/2006 10:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger
    ...and I put it in my computer bag when I fly. It's basically a piece of rattan with points on both ends.
    You carry a weapon onto flights - inspired
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2006 10:51am

Style: Genbukan Ninpo Bugei

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kickcatcher
    When I first read this, I thought it said FIGHTS. I was about to virtually smack you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2006 10:56am

Style: N/A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eh, so these are viable? I mean, they look practically harmless, save for the fact that you know, they're sticks. I doubt many law enforcement agencies (if I ever get a pat down or something) would consider it a deadly weapon, right?

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    7/18/2006 11:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, most marketed ones are definately "offensive weapons" with no other credible purpose other than being a weapon - unlike a short pencil (hint). And they look silly which is another reason not to carry them.

Why doesn't he just let her cuddle him??????

Only in America...
    Last edited by Fantasy Warrior; 7/18/2006 11:20am at .
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Sardonic or Sarcastic?

Posted On:
    7/18/2006 12:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Filipino Kun Tao, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kickcatcher

No, I carry a bouyant keychain onto flights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    I would so do Buttsecks.

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    7/18/2006 5:22pm

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashomon
    I take my metal one with me on trips, even when flying. The trick is to not carry it on your person during the flight. Instead, I put it in my suitcase or carry on bag. I put it at the bottom of the suitcase near the frame. Hopefully, it will look like a part of the suitcase frame. I leave the keys on it so it will also look like a key chain. (Most TSA employees are probably clueless about kubatons, anyway.) I have flown at least three times since I got my kubaton, and I have not been stopped yet. If I do get stopped, I plan to play dumb and claim it was a keychain "gift" from an ex-girlfriend. If that doesn't work, I have a backup one at home. :)
    So when the **** hits the fan you will..
    CHAPTER ONE - A CALL TO ARMS
    .. stand up, open the overhead compartment, extract your suitcase, open it, dig up your weapon of ultimate destruction which lies conveniently at the bottom of the bag and you are..
    READY FOR BATTLE!!

Seriously, have you given this any thought at all?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2006 5:38pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People get so wound up in what is and isnt effective. kubotans are stupid.

Theres one kid at my school who thinks his kubotan (with his deadly hapkido training, and his cresent kick of doom) will break his attackers fingers, ward off vampires and cure cancer.

And he seems to get his arse kicked routinely.

Just punch them the the face! Kick them while theyre down!

didnt need a whole thread to get to that conclusion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2006 5:40pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipper
    In trained FMA hands, the palm sticks is delivered with the same power as a stick strike, only at corto or close range. Targets are the temples, collarbone, ribs, cheeks, eyes, etc.

But the weapon is only effective if you trained properly and develop the speed and power needed.
    A friend of mine who is pretty skilled in FMA used a hardwood 'pocket stick' in a multiple attacker self defense situation and messed a guy up pretty bad. Knocked the guy out, and ripped a chunk off the guy's scalp. It freaked the other attackers out, and gave my friend enough time and space to get the hell away.

He's fast, strong, and well trained though. A stick definitely isn't a substitute for fitness, strength and serious training, as Phil etc. seem to believe...

Posted On:
    8/04/2007 4:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have an ex-police officer in our city that teaches martial arts (jui jistsu), and he swears by the kubotan's use. When used as a flail, it doesn't just scratch, as one person said, but rips! I've seen the result of a good swing catching an assailants face, and there were deep gashes. I can safely say that this guy won't attack an innocent pedestrian again. Well, at least not for 10 years!

But seriously, I've seen some proven techniques, for it's use. Flailling, as well as solid hammering against the head, shoulders, large muscles, and private areas can do serious damage to an assailant, and prevent rape, muggings, or even murder.

They are easily carried by inserting the kubotan, or the keys into a pocket, leaving the other end hanging out in order to quickly grab them in the event of emergency. And our sisters, mothers, wives, and girfriends can be much safer walking home from the store if we train them on their use.

Yeah there are a lot of pressure point attackes, and Yawara Jitsu defences that may or may not do any good, but have you ever been hit on the arm, or chest, or even the head with one of those suckers? Jesus, they hurt! I have no problem with these little gems, in fact I too swear by them. I carry one with my keys attached to it, each key facing a different direction, and have never had to use it. Martial arts training aside, I am over 50 now, and am starting to stiffen up, and slow down. I think that if the need ever arises, I'd like to get it over with quickly with a kubotan rather than risk standing toe to toe with a younger, larger, faster assailant.

Old Senseis never die, they just use dirtier and nastier tricks.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast