Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2006 8:42am

Style: N/A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pocket sticks in self defense?

I was reading about concealed weapons permits and carrying concealed knives, and the article mentioned the validity of carrying a "pocket stick" and its use in self defense scenarios. This was written by the e-zine "the Martialist" and I was wondering what you guys had to say about the effectiveness of a relatively small stick in a self defense situation.

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    7/18/2006 8:45am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You want to run around with a stick just in case someone attacks you? That link has pressure points too . . good lord. It was written by Phil of all people . . Are you trolling?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2006 8:48am

Style: N/A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    THAT's Phil?

Ah ****. My bad guys, nothing to see here.
    See I figured the fat bald guy was a giveaway but I had to make sure.

And a stick, I figure, would be less incidental than a banned knife or gun.

Actually I guess the article is worth a laugh, but I was wondering if (besides the article I posted) anyone heard of the "pocket stick" (I believe there's a martial arts term) or maybe if I could invest in a cane and use it as a bokken.
    Last edited by Wolfwood; 7/18/2006 8:51am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2006 9:34am

Style: PTK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Regardless of whether it was an article by Phil, I do think pocket sticks are highly effective, if your training gives you the motor skills to put them to good use. The pocket stick is also found in the FMA weapons arsenal, and it goes by a variety of names - pasak, olisi, etc. Commonly made of either local hardwoods or water buffalo horn, they don't set off metal detectors and are easily passed off as a massager or a luck charm.

In trained FMA hands, the palm sticks is delivered with the same power as a stick strike, only at corto or close range. Targets are the temples, collarbone, ribs, cheeks, eyes, etc.

But the weapon is only effective if you trained properly and develop the speed and power needed. If you're going to be doing some mediocre FMA, then it's not going to deliver the goods as you expect.

Like any weapon, its how you train that makes it effective.

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    7/18/2006 9:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kobotan are a bit silly really. Gadgets designed to impress the easily impressed. If they said "next time you are attacked, how about fumbling around in your pocket for a novalty phalic with which you can crush his fingers when any normal person would sooner just punch the assailant in the face" it wouldn't sell so well.
    Last edited by Fantasy Warrior; 7/18/2006 9:39am at .
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Posted On:
    7/18/2006 9:46am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfwood
    Actually I guess the article is worth a laugh, but I was wondering if (besides the article I posted) anyone heard of the "pocket stick" (I believe there's a martial arts term) or maybe if I could invest in a cane and use it as a bokken.
    Plenty of different martial arts terms for pocket sticks/knuckle dusters/fist loads - lots 'n lots of different cultures used some variation:

Okinawa - teppo, tekko
    Japan - yawara, shobo, shinbo
    India - vajra, bagh nakh
    China - emei tzu, judges' pens
    Hawaii - lei-o-mano
    Europe/North America - brass knuckles, knuckle duster, roll of quarters
    Philippines - dulo y dulo, tabak maalit, olisi palad

All this pressure point tapping crap has really obscured things. You're filling your fist with something that a) gives your fist some extra structure to prevent it from deforming on impact, b) depending on what you're holding, can provide you with one or more impact points that are stronger than your knuckles or may be sharp.

No need to look for gall bladder point #35, just grab the thing and hammer fist the living hell out of the other guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2006 9:52am

Style: PTK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper
    No need to look for gall bladder point #35, just grab the thing and hammer fist the living hell out of the other guy.
    my sentiments exactly :D

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2006 10:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes. I believe he means a kubaton.

I carry a metal one as a keychain all the time.

There are a few ways I would use this:

1) Like a "mace" or a "flail". Put a finger through the second key ring (I have two - one on the kubaton, a second which actually holds my keys.), hold the keys like a handle, and swing like a mace... probably in close and tight, though. Aim for the knee cap, head, whatever. That's a solid hunk of steel - It's going to do some damage to anything it hits, even if it's a fleshy part, like a bicep or leg. Hitting a knee can be a fight-ender. Hitting someone's head... well... that could land you in prison.

2) In close, I would probably use it to "poke" my opponent. I'm not talking "pressure point" stuff here, just pure pain. Dig that puppy into (between?) somebody's ribs, and you're going to get a reaction.

3) "The silver bullet". I saw a kubaton video by some "famous" guy. Most of his stuff looked like crap - like holding the kubaton and swinging the keys to scratch someone's face... or using the kubaton to intercept somebody's hand who was using a knife. His "silver bullet", however, looked good. Basically, you hold the kubaton in your hand with about an inch protruding from the top of your fist. Then, when in close, use your thumb to pinch some flesh with the kubaton. I've tried this, and it is *extremely* painful.

In general, I am not a fan of "pressure point" strikes. I think they would be too hard to hit in a fight. The techniques I have listed are for more general targets and for close fighting (like while clenching).

A kubaton is what it is - a short-ranged weapon. I believe it can be effective as such.

Disclaimer - I am by no means an expert with the kubaton, and I have not used it in a self-defense situation. I am just basing these techniques on my previous experience with other martial arts and weapons.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2006 10:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wood vs metal - I dont think you could use a wood or bone kubaton as a mace, at least not very effectively. That's why I went with the metal one.

I take my metal one with me on trips, even when flying. The trick is to not carry it on your person during the flight. Instead, I put it in my suitcase or carry on bag. I put it at the bottom of the suitcase near the frame. Hopefully, it will look like a part of the suitcase frame. I leave the keys on it so it will also look like a key chain. (Most TSA employees are probably clueless about kubatons, anyway.) I have flown at least three times since I got my kubaton, and I have not been stopped yet. If I do get stopped, I plan to play dumb and claim it was a keychain "gift" from an ex-girlfriend. If that doesn't work, I have a backup one at home. :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2006 10:15am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The real problem with such weapons isn't being busted with them, it's being busted after using them. you defend yourself that's fine, you use a weapon in that defense and you're guaranteed to go away in the same divvy van as your attacker.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast