Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2006 10:54pm

Style: Jabs & Cross Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Transferable skills learn in aikido to other arts

Guys/Gals,

This thread is for people who are former aikido-ka or still practicing aikido but has moved to something else or who are cross training in something else.

My question is, what sort of skills that you acquire from your aikido studies that is trasferable to your other arts?

To kick off, in newaza randori, I find that suwari-waza skills acquired is helpful to keep ones centre at the initial stage. I have judo-ka pushing me to get me down, but using suwari-waza tenkan I get of the line and let the judo-ka off balance himself before I go into superior position in osaekomi play.

Thank you all for sharing your stories.

GMW

Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    7/17/2006 11:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAB MY WRIST
    Guys/Gals,

This thread is for people who are former aikido-ka or still practicing aikido but has moved to something else or who are cross training in something else.

My question is, what sort of skills that you acquire from your aikido studies that is trasferable to your other arts?

To kick off, in newaza randori, I find that suwari-waza skills acquired is helpful to keep ones centre at the initial stage. I have judo-ka pushing me to get me down, but using suwari-waza tenkan I get of the line and let the judo-ka off balance himself before I go into superior position in osaekomi play.

Thank you all for sharing your stories.

GMW
    I see forsee good things for this thread. Wait. No. No I don't.

Let me tell you the things I use from Hapkido (you know... Korean Aikido). Nothing. That's right. Nothing. Wrist locks are all but ef'ing useless. If you want to learn to throw, take Judo. If you want to learn to ground fight, take BJJ. Aikido contributes nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Imagine if track was run like the martial arts community. While the winning teams would just sprint down the field, smoking the competition, you'd have a bunch of losers running around explaining how they can skip down the track just as fast. Never mind that it doesn't fucking work. Oh no, they're too fast for track. They run on the STREET.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2006 11:21pm

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samfoo
    I see forsee good things for this thread. Wait. No. No I don't.

Let me tell you the things I use from Hapkido (you know... Korean Aikido). Nothing. That's right. Nothing. Wrist locks are all but ef'ing useless. If you want to learn to throw, take Judo. If you want to learn to ground fight, take BJJ. Aikido contributes nothing.
    I disagree, I learned how to fall properly in aikido. You can learn that from other martial arts too, but if you start doing judo, you are slightly ahead of the game over other begininers.

Posted On:
    7/17/2006 11:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know aikido, but I've been working arm drags a little lately. Seems to me that similiar techniques would 'awaken' certain aikido moves. If they would train Alive. Which they won't. So nevermind.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    7/17/2006 11:26pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    can't knock aikido ukemi.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    7/17/2006 11:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    right so we have learning how to fall over. good score.

Posted On:
    7/18/2006 12:01am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whatever. Just ef'ing take judo. Or don't learn ukemi, wrestlers don't seem to have a problem not learning how to fall.

Aikido is less than fucking worthless. Stop trying to save something that quite obviously is beyond saving.
    Imagine if track was run like the martial arts community. While the winning teams would just sprint down the field, smoking the competition, you'd have a bunch of losers running around explaining how they can skip down the track just as fast. Never mind that it doesn't fucking work. Oh no, they're too fast for track. They run on the STREET.

Infidel

Posted On:
    7/18/2006 12:08am

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He only posted his question an hour ago.

If you want to learn to throw, take Judo. If you want to learn to ground fight, take BJJ.
    geez give the guy a break. He's just asking if someone's aikido training carried over into any other martial arts.

I think the point that Judo is tops when it comes to throws and BJJ is great for ground fighting has been hammered home more than enough times.

Posted On:
    7/18/2006 12:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySpark
    geez give the guy a break. He's just asking if someone's aikido training carried over into any other martial arts.
    You know you can wear the skirt all the time if it's that important to you?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2006 12:42am

Style: Jabs & Cross Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samfoo
    Whatever. Just ef'ing take judo. Or don't learn ukemi, wrestlers don't seem to have a problem not learning how to fall.

Aikido is less than fucking worthless. Stop trying to save something that quite obviously is beyond saving.
    GMW pours a bucket of ice cold water over Samfoo... to cool his overheated cerebelum before they start to overheat and short-circuit (aka turn psychosis).

Samfoo, your opinion is noted, now let other have a chance to voice their opinion. Speaking of being worthless, we recently just have a boxer coming in our aikido dojo to learn about body movement (tai-sabaki).

I have to agree, the falls in judo is different than aikido, after so many years of doing rolly aikido ukemi, I am still afraid to take the full ippon seoi-nage type ukemi... I have to overcome the psychological barrier. Other than that I am OK.

The mental/psychology we have at aikido dojo is more of helping each other, and hence although we throw each other, we look after one another by not throwing full force, we allow uke an easy way out in terms of ukemi.

The judo dojo that I am in tend to be competition centric and hence ukemi are designed to score ippon and as such tend to be forceful, fast and abrupt i.e., more punishment for the body.

GMW.
Page 1 of 12 1 234511 ... LastLast