Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/03/2008 1:39am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by variance
    Looks like ridiculousy huge sticks.

What was the final verdict on the school?
    Here are some videos that aren't dead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llukh93pugE

also this stick video looks particularly HORRIBLE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIlWeT6OqX4

i don't need to go into a long rant about what's wrong in that video.
    it should be patently obvious.

and look at the rest of his videos for some amusement.
    His myspace says he's located near austin?
    selfcrit, have you or the other TKA guys gotten a chance to spar with these guys?
    It's hard to get a lot of local FMA guys to come and play. Hutto is north of Round rock(where Dell is.....essentially a very nice suburb of austin). It's on a long list for me an Naz to look at eventually (after AHI and the Krav Weapons and Ground classes)

Posted On:
    6/13/2009 6:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy Necro Batman!

I stumbled back on this thread after running into some youtubery from this guy.

I had forgotten he's almost in my back yard.

There are two relevant youtube channels here, so i'll go ahead and post them now

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...es&view=videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/JasonHeriford

In the second one, he has a lot of stuff labeled as dumog or kali silat that is pretty clearly folkstyle wrestling which he isn't instructing(from his old school in MO). He also fails to note which ones are in Austin(you'd get the impression from the youtube links that Jason is running a school and is a competant wrestling instructor).

The quality varies- when demonstrating solo in the air, he seems to move fairly fluidly, and cuts with decent mechanics and speed.

When supervising two-man drills, footwork more or less disapears and the mechanics get abandoned.

Of course I have an issue with his marketing, but that's not a complete deal-killer....I have issues with Larry's marketing, and I went to his place for years and had fun. Ditto the local Sayoc group.

You'll see what I mean

http://executiveedgeselfdefense.com/

http://www.austinkalisilat.com/

I'll be going in a little more depth with the videos, but suffice to say that unless the training is free, I don't think anyone in the austin area should train kali or silat with this fellow given the availability of

Leslie Buck
    Two independent TKA training groups under Renerodriquez and Roy Fitzgerald
    Adam Ganshirt
    Larry st. Clair
    and Aaron Alejandro's Warriors Way training group.

All of whom I think have superior lineage and background in FMA.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/13/2009 8:06pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: SanDa, MT, Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't bothered to check out the site, but just as an FYI if anyone still cares, those sticks are legit. I'm a filipino who has practiced back on the island and have found that most schools (actually both back in the PI and here in the US) use that type of stick in training. They are much heavier; most people use heavier sticks when training

Posted On:
    6/14/2009 10:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The hugeness of the sticks isn't so much the concern, as what his drilling looks like. Also, i'm inclined to be critical of his style from past experience (I've never seen much from SinaTirsiaWali that i've liked).

I'm not sure if this thread has enough substance to be a MABS thing. Move to another forum maybe?

Posted On:
    10/07/2009 3:59am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Filipino Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

the measure of a man's stick hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
    the stick should be approximately the length of your arm, from armpit to hand. About 4 1/2 inches in circumference.
    What is 4 1/2 inches in circumference? Honestly, I'm confused. :(

For PTK stick lengths should be approximately from armpit to the tip of your hand.

There are actually two measurements, one is for the Espada <sword> and the other is for the Daga <dagger>. If I can dig up the exact measurement, I'll post it...

Posted On:
    10/07/2009 4:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Filipino Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL I just watched the bottom video hahahaha omg that was hilarious!!! :D my 9-year old son does triangular footwork, sinawali, redondo, and this is a little boy that shoots play guns like "Pew pew lazers!!" ... I just don't know what ELSE to do in this situation, I just feel so sorry for these guys... what comes to mind are those kung-fu flicks where the bad ass school comes to shut down shop and steal all the students hahaha

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2009 5:12pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, nogiJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kalipunk View Post
    LOL I just watched the bottom video hahahaha omg that was hilarious!!! :D my 9-year old son does triangular footwork, sinawali, redondo, and this is a little boy that shoots play guns like "Pew pew lazers!!" ... I just don't know what ELSE to do in this situation, I just feel so sorry for these guys... what comes to mind are those kung-fu flicks where the bad ass school comes to shut down shop and steal all the students hahaha
    I thought it was sad; no footwork, body rotation, etc. And was that supposed to be the guy's check hand? It looked more like he was just trying to lightly touch the other guy's hand.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456