software engineer

Posted On:
    7/16/2006 2:44am

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

video: critique my roundhouses

You might remember that other thread where I asked for critiques of my work on a heavy bag. There was a lot of noise, but I did get a lot of important feedback from folks, and so I went back to the lab. Also, I thought seeing myself on video was wonderfully useful.

A big problem people had with my last video was my roundhouse technique. In this video, I try to cover a range of how I might kick, just so people can go over and say, oh, B is more correct than A, or better technique, etc.

Context: I don't train in a class setting anymore, cuz I graduated and started working (very busily, apparently). So I have one guy who trains a little with me and the heavy bag. It's not a great situation; you can see how messy the area is, and that's after I cleaned up a lot. But it's most accessible to me now.
    I'm just kicking the bag, one roundhouse at a time. To the body. It's very basic, but I know from talking on the last thread that there's some problems.

Goal: In the vid, I'm kicking off my left and right leads, just for variety. My regular stance is southpaw. But I'm naturally right handed, and feel my right kick is better.

I've done the kick 3 ways: my ideal, hard, and recommended.

my ideal - I'm doing it with my "good" form. Quotes because this is how I feel it's best to kick. So not done with power, just "good" form.

hard - don't worry about technique, just kick as I would in an actual match or fight, as fast and hard as I can.

recommended - this is what WhiteShark has been patiently trying to explain to me. Here, I visualize spinning all the way around and turning my hip over. I emphasize these things as much as possible during the kick.

Bad habits I already noticed:
    Man I keep my hands low. This is a good catch by video. I seem do a little better from southpaw, but still, I was yelling at myself to keep my hands up during this.

I telegraph my kicks by dropping my hands. Yeesh, even worse. Two different ways - sometimes I drop then kick. Other times I lower my guard for a beat, then kick. Both are not good!

I stick my chin forward. Not up, just not tucked down. It's sort of what Wanderlei and Cyborg do, only worse. Definitely need to work on this one. I think I do it in part cuz when I wear glasses, I try to see through them. To tuck, I'd have to look over them.

Square stance. You can see me occasionally try to slant off more, but I just haven't beaten this bug yet.

Notes:
    The recommended kicks seem to have a little more hip turn than my normal kicks. I think there's an inkling of a path to improvement. Let me know what you think here.

I think I am well on my way to fixing my elbow flare problem. Pretty happy the last thread made me take action there.

Thanks to people who go and critique this. I try to take all the criticism constructive and otherwise in stride. There's a lot of questions from my end, but ultimately, video of me doing it is the easiest way to address the issue. And the critique definitely has positive results.

Video itself (it's very beefy. let me know if you need a lite version):
    http://web.mit.edu/mao/Public/kicks.wmv

Spoiler alert: I'm only wearing shorts here, so you can see more of my turning (or lack thereof). I'm not making excuses, but it was really hot that day and I got really sweat. And I'm not in great shape, so if you are grossed out by sweaty jigglage, you might have to pass on this video.
    Bonus: you can still make out the IBM sunburn on my back that I did over a year ago.
    Last edited by meng_mao; 7/16/2006 3:35am at .
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    7/16/2006 3:51am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the most obvious thing i could see was that you were turning your hips over way to soon, almost assoon as your leg left the ground. your kick wants to come straight up and -then- turn over at the end. the way you are doing it your leg is coming upwards and is already turned over when it hits the pads. looks ugly.

heres a great vid of Samkor throwing kicks (like theres vids of him doing anything else) see how his leg goes straight up and only turns over right at the end of the kick. i dont know if this is how whiteshark explained it to you but this is how ive been taught.

edit- also, this is just a general tip when working a heavy bag- to steal a line from clint eastwood, don't let the bag work you. when it comes close either get out of range (imagine it has arms and legs) or throw something. golden rule of bagwork (at least at our gym) is that if you are close enough to be hitting it you should be hitting it or getting out of the way, never just standing there. this might not apply since you are demonstrating kicks but i thought i would mention it anyway
    Last edited by alex; 7/16/2006 4:00am at .

software engineer

Posted On:
    7/16/2006 4:43am

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alex, no linky.

Also, yeah, I wasn't trying to be active on the bag. Just demonstrating.
    Last edited by meng_mao; 7/16/2006 4:46am at .
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2006 4:52am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjhg5W5Rzd8

Also, you seem too square in your stance, although it may just be the camera angle.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    7/16/2006 6:11am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hmm, too much alcohol for me. but tshin posted the one i meant to anyway

no such thing as too square in MT stance!you must expose ALL vital organs to the enemy to scare him into thinking you are crazy! it is the muay thai way!

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    7/16/2006 7:11am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    the most obvious thing i could see was that you were turning your hips over way to soon, almost assoon as your leg left the ground. your kick wants to come straight up and -then- turn over at the end. the way you are doing it your leg is coming upwards and is already turned over when it hits the pads. looks ugly.
    This is part my fault. I've been berating him via PM to use more hip.

Meg_mao, The first thing I see is too much tension in your leg on your "Ideal" I think there is a first step towards success in the "recommended" ones but only the first set. You looked a little tired or something in the second set and your form started to slip. Let me mull it over. I have some ideas but I need to think about it.

('._.)

Posted On:
    7/16/2006 9:45am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Next time wear clothes please.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/16/2006 12:28pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    7 minutes worth of kicks this better be worth it....

Posted On:
    7/16/2006 2:11pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Meng did you ever find a gym to train at or are you still training with the same club?

I remember you said you were gonna stop by some weekend, but I didn't see you.

Genius

Posted On:
    7/16/2006 2:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tshin
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjhg5W5Rzd8

Also, you seem too square in your stance, although it may just be the camera angle.
    I like the soundtrack for that video. Anyone know the name of the group?
Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast