Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    7/17/2006 10:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fairtex is pretty touristy I think, but I imagine the training is pretty solid.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    7/17/2006 10:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amp
    bornsceptic,

The people above who have given you advice mean well. They are a good people, these Bullshido natives, but sometimes in their eagerness to help a fellow martial artist find the best training, they ignore some fundemental facts that need to be in place in order for good training to occur.

You have never done MT.

You have never trained w/ elbows or knees.

You are in "fairly good shape."

"Reasonable contact level"..."cracked rip to prove it"...but w/out knees or elbows.

You are going to get killed.

You are a tourist. Go to a touristy-place.

No real MT gym is going to stop what they are doing to train some guy in 'day 1' MT. Or they will take your money and put the most junior student with you.

If you go look for some hardcore place asking to spar...be careful...you might find a guy who throws an elbow or knee.
    dont fucking pretend you know what you are talking about ok. tourists make up a big part of many camps income. a lot of people with sod all training go for a couple of weeks (I know a few guys personally who have done this then when they came back to NZ wanted to take it up here too, which is why they joined our club) and they don't train at "joke" gyms. there are guys who trained at places like Kaewsamrit, Fairtex, even Puramuk (if you can stand the smell) without much training beforehand and *shock horror* they werent murdered by some nasty tong po lookalike for shits and giggles.

Sparring in thailand is very relaxed. when you don't have a day job and spend all day training, and then fight every other week, what the **** do you want to rip into each other in sparring for? again you display your ignorance. im going to break it to you- kickboxer wasn't a documentary. i know its tough to believe, but thems the facts.

Every camp in thailand is a "touristy place" because thats how they make their bread. now go back to whining about lineage and playing slapsies. fucking chunners.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/17/2006 10:47pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bornsceptic
    I won't have the time to go to any 'camps' and I'm not interested in the tourist-oriented glorified fitness programs that seem to be common, just some day time training, preferably with some sparring.
    No **** camps make big bucks...thing is he isn't interested in camps (see above).

He wants to spar in Thailand but obviously hasn't sparred for **** in the USA. He has never faced an elbow or knee.

He is a tourist but wants something that isn't 'tourist-oriented.'

I was pointing that out.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    7/17/2006 10:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    and i was pointing out that you are unlikely to find a camp in thailand, especially in a major city like bangkok, that does not cater to tourists while still training pro fighters. you can go there for a day lesson if you want, you can go for 20 minutes if you want so long as you pay. ****, you could have a ring fight with one of their guys if you paid them. camps are a business and like any business the good ones operate under the idea that the customer is always right. what the customer wants, he gets, so long as he pays for it. do you understand where im going with this?

oh and like i said people in the west spar harder than they do in thailand. we send guys to kaewsamrit every year to train and they don't go there for a ramp up in sparring, they go for clinchwork and because you get to train all day and pay **** all to do it. and get a killer tan.

he said he wasnt interested in a camp because he doesnt want to spend his whole holiday there. this is not a fact, you can spend as much or as little time as you want depending on- thats right- how much you pay.

Posted On:
    7/17/2006 11:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    oh and like i said people in the west spar harder than they do in thailand.
    From what I hear he's spot on: "Save it for the Ring" is the mentality.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/17/2006 11:07pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    and i was pointing out that you are unlikely to find a camp in thailand, especially in a major city like bangkok, that does not cater to tourists while still training pro fighters. you can go there for a day lesson if you want, you can go for 20 minutes if you want so long as you pay. ****, you could have a ring fight with one of their guys if you paid them. camps are a business and like any business the good ones operate under the idea that the customer is always right. what the customer wants, he gets, so long as he pays for it. do you understand where im going with this?

oh and like i said people in the west spar harder than they do in thailand. we send guys to kaewsamrit every year to train and they don't go there for a ramp up in sparring, they go for clinchwork and because you get to train all day and pay **** all to do it. and get a killer tan.

he said he wasnt interested in a camp because he doesnt want to spend his whole holiday there. this is not a fact, you can spend as much or as little time as you want depending on- thats right- how much you pay.

I understand what you are saying...it just seems strange to me to go to Bankok to train in a martial art that you have never trained in your life and spar when you have really never sparred in your life.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    7/17/2006 11:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well it appears to me he just wants to try it out for a day or an afternoon or whatever. see what its like. this is not an unusual thing to do in my book, **** if you have an interest in martial arts, went to thailand, and didnt do at least a little training id think you were a bit of a weirdo (or some kind of aikido faggort)

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    7/17/2006 11:20pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if I were visiting THailand, regardless of my previous experience, I'd sure want to try out "teh real" muay thai while I had such a good opportunity to do so. But yeah, though the real muay thai is fucking exhausting, he's not gonna get hurt at any camp that isn't some hole full of criminals or something.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    7/17/2006 11:20pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    then again...

"Muay thai mean no rules" - old guy in kickboxer 2

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    7/18/2006 7:04am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Amp, I appreciate your concern for my welfare. I'm well aware that knees and elbows hurt and worse (I copped quite a few playing rugby for years). If I wasn't prepared to wear them then I wouldn't really be wanting to try MT would I?
    I'm going to check out the gyms and have a talk to the trainers and if it seems cool then I'll go for it. I'm not looking for a 'learn MT in three easy lessons'. I'm looking for a place to train several times a week in between other commitments. I have to agree with Alex that there would be little logic for the Thais to maim one of their primary sources of income for little more than machismo. I know I suck and they'll know I suck. They're professionals and they're probably far less likely to do something dangerous than an enthusiastic amateur.
    As to being a wide-eyed tourist - I was born in Thailand, spent the first few years of my life there and have been going back almost yearly for some time. My parents have lived there for nearly 10 years. The Thais are as easy going, hard working, friendly and honest a people as I've ever come across. They're not the bunch of shady, tourist milking underworld figures that some people seem to assume. Granted there are some hard cases, particularly in Pattaya (though the worst lot around there are the Russian mafia) but this is a reputable gym.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast