Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    7/14/2006 10:26pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Summer 06 Dogbrothers Gathering of the Pack

Very late posting of my experience (and hopefully Red Elvis') at this past Gathering.

No film crews this time (other than Crafty's). This Gathering has been the largest to date, with IIRC, 38 registered fighters. Guro Benjamin "Lonely Dog" brought in his European wrecking crew consisting of 3 fighters (from Italy and Switzerland), there were also fighters in from England, Canada, Australia as well as the usual host of fighters from across the US. The North Hollywood (NoHo) clan was well represented with 6 fighters, including myself and Red Elvis. Potentially, next Gathering, we may have a NoHo female fighter looking for opponents. So if any of you female fighters are looking to take part in a Gathering, we'll have one looking for a fight come November.

I got there late, after Crafty's introduction but before the fights actually started. So I quickly got my liability release on tape quickly then went and changed. I had been considering using my 1st generation OLD SCHOOL fencing mask for this Gathering, but unhappy with my fitness level, I decided against it. Good for me, saved my ass. But more about that later.

The fights were wide and varied, with the knife fight warm-ups having a decidedly new twist thrown in. There were knife on knife, knife vs. empty hand (I think) and Shock knife vs. stick. Thoroughly entertaining, but I was busy warming up and didn't get to watch most of them.

The stick fights were, as expected, top notch. There were some definite heavy hitters in the fight mix, and some heavy wood was being thrown. Good fights in general, with some outstanding ones in the mix.

My fights:
    My first fight was a double stick (sinawali) fight. I don't remember everything, but I do remember it seeming to be an entertaining fight judging by the sound of the crowd. At one point, my opponent rushed me and I tripped going backwards over a kicking shield near the wall (damn environmental obstacles). I managed to roll completely over and get back to my feet just as my opponent was getting to his. He had lost a stick in the roll and so now it was sinawali vs. single stick. We traded some shots and he shot in, attempting a single leg. In my attempt to defeat the shoot, I lost my left stick and had my right arm pinned against my leg. I switched the stick from my right to left hand around my opponents back who was still trying to force the takedown, using his stick as a VERY FUCKING PAINFUL PRESSURE DIG on the back of my knee. Once I had my stick switched, I did some medium impact punyos to his back, just to let him know I had that option. He scrambled to his right, and somehow we ended up with him on his back and me in a "knee-on-chest" position. I motioned a few punyos to his unprotected head, he acknowledged the suckage of his current position, and that first fight was over.

My second fight was single stick against a rather large fellow. He seemed to have my number dialed in. I got in a fairly decent knee shot but took one in the dome as a trade. I wasn't happy with that crap. We continued to trade, with him doing a VERY effective job of counter-hitting me, using his range advantage. Again, details are fuzzy, but they end VERY fuzzy. Attempting to catch him with a power shot angle 1, I overextended myself with my head hanging the **** out there. He countered with a power horizontal forehand that caught me across the temple. He hit me so hard his stick even wrapped a little and left a nice bump on the back of my skull as well. Things immediately became very gray and I vaguely remember falling to the ground, with only enough wits about me to motion the "timeout" sign with my hands. After sitting there for a moment, with both Crafty and my opponent immediately checking to make sure I was okay. I was okay enough to get up and get off the mat under my own power, but I was definitely a little woozy. Crafty looked me in the eyes and told me I was done for the day. I was.

That was it for me. The ringing in my ear continued for a couple of hours, and the pain by my temple stayed with me, well, still with me a little, nearly 3 weeks after the fact. Let me explain though, that it only hurt near my temple when I open my mouth more than halfway. Now, it only hurts if I try to open my mouth to its fullest (**** all you gutter-minded perverts). In addition to the ringer, I had several welts, stick hickeys and the back of my knee hurt for the next couple of days (in the back, where my 1st opponent was digging).

Despite my dinging in my second fight, Crafty felt I had done well enough overall that he advanced me to "Candidate Poidog" (C-Poidog), the final step before officially making Dog Brother. The NoHo clan overall impressed Crafty enough that 2(3?) other fighters in our clan were elevated to "Dog" status. All in all, a great day for the NoHo clan. Hopefully, Red Elvis will chime in with his experience. I won't comment on his fights, except to say that he had some awesome fights (3 stick and a couple knife I think). Both his stick work and his ground game are hell on his opponents, and I predict he'll be making Dog Brother in no time.

Aloha, Poi (or should I say, C-Poidog :toothy6: )
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Posted On:
    7/14/2006 11:18pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good stuff!

Sorry to hear about your head shot, but it sounds like you held your own.

I swear...people who step in a cage to fight someone full-contact have balls...but it takes a whole different species of testicle to step in a cage (or mat/street/etc) to fight someone WITH WEAPONS!

Rock on, brother.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    7/16/2006 12:37am

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori
    Good stuff!

Sorry to hear about your head shot, but it sounds like you held your own.

I swear...people who step in a cage to fight someone full-contact have balls...but it takes a whole different species of testicle to step in a cage (or mat/street/etc) to fight someone WITH WEAPONS!

Rock on, brother.
    Testicles? Poidog, otherwise now known as C-Poidog, has testicles the size of coconuts. (He is Hawaiian after all!)I wish I could comment on his fights but I was busy warming up and/or recovering from mine. From what I hear he did another outstanding job. I'll put my experience in here in a little bit. Cheers!

Red Elvis
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    7/16/2006 6:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting. My approach in that first fight would have been to throw my stick away and shout "NOT IN THE FACE!"

I see you went a different way with it. Well, different strokes, I guess.

J/K congratulations. How many full Dog Brothers and how many candidates like you are there now?

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/16/2006 9:57pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by poidog
    Very late posting of my experience (and hopefully Red Elvis') at this past Gathering.

No film crews this time (other than Crafty's). This Gathering has been the largest to date, with IIRC, 38 registered fighters. Guro Benjamin "Lonely Dog" brought in his European wrecking crew consisting of 3 fighters (from Italy and Switzerland), there were also fighters in from England, Canada, Australia as well as the usual host of fighters from across the US. The North Hollywood (NoHo) clan was well represented with 6 fighters, including myself and Red Elvis. Potentially, next Gathering, we may have a NoHo female fighter looking for opponents. So if any of you female fighters are looking to take part in a Gathering, we'll have one looking for a fight come November.

I got there late, after Crafty's introduction but before the fights actually started. So I quickly got my liability release on tape quickly then went and changed. I had been considering using my 1st generation OLD SCHOOL fencing mask for this Gathering, but unhappy with my fitness level, I decided against it. Good for me, saved my ass. But more about that later.

The fights were wide and varied, with the knife fight warm-ups having a decidedly new twist thrown in. There were knife on knife, knife vs. empty hand (I think) and Shock knife vs. stick. Thoroughly entertaining, but I was busy warming up and didn't get to watch most of them.

The stick fights were, as expected, top notch. There were some definite heavy hitters in the fight mix, and some heavy wood was being thrown. Good fights in general, with some outstanding ones in the mix.

My fights:
    My first fight was a double stick (sinawali) fight. I don't remember everything, but I do remember it seeming to be an entertaining fight judging by the sound of the crowd. At one point, my opponent rushed me and I tripped going backwards over a kicking shield near the wall (damn environmental obstacles). I managed to roll completely over and get back to my feet just as my opponent was getting to his. He had lost a stick in the roll and so now it was sinawali vs. single stick. We traded some shots and he shot in, attempting a single leg. In my attempt to defeat the shoot, I lost my left stick and had my right arm pinned against my leg. I switched the stick from my right to left hand around my opponents back who was still trying to force the takedown, using his stick as a VERY FUCKING PAINFUL PRESSURE DIG on the back of my knee. Once I had my stick switched, I did some medium impact punyos to his back, just to let him know I had that option. He scrambled to his right, and somehow we ended up with him on his back and me in a "knee-on-chest" position. I motioned a few punyos to his unprotected head, he acknowledged the suckage of his current position, and that first fight was over.

My second fight was single stick against a rather large fellow. He seemed to have my number dialed in. I got in a fairly decent knee shot but took one in the dome as a trade. I wasn't happy with that crap. We continued to trade, with him doing a VERY effective job of counter-hitting me, using his range advantage. Again, details are fuzzy, but they end VERY fuzzy. Attempting to catch him with a power shot angle 1, I overextended myself with my head hanging the **** out there. He countered with a power horizontal forehand that caught me across the temple. He hit me so hard his stick even wrapped a little and left a nice bump on the back of my skull as well. Things immediately became very gray and I vaguely remember falling to the ground, with only enough wits about me to motion the "timeout" sign with my hands. After sitting there for a moment, with both Crafty and my opponent immediately checking to make sure I was okay. I was okay enough to get up and get off the mat under my own power, but I was definitely a little woozy. Crafty looked me in the eyes and told me I was done for the day. I was.

That was it for me. The ringing in my ear continued for a couple of hours, and the pain by my temple stayed with me, well, still with me a little, nearly 3 weeks after the fact. Let me explain though, that it only hurt near my temple when I open my mouth more than halfway. Now, it only hurts if I try to open my mouth to its fullest (**** all you gutter-minded perverts). In addition to the ringer, I had several welts, stick hickeys and the back of my knee hurt for the next couple of days (in the back, where my 1st opponent was digging).

Despite my dinging in my second fight, Crafty felt I had done well enough overall that he advanced me to "Candidate Poidog" (C-Poidog), the final step before officially making Dog Brother. The NoHo clan overall impressed Crafty enough that 2(3?) other fighters in our clan were elevated to "Dog" status. All in all, a great day for the NoHo clan. Hopefully, Red Elvis will chime in with his experience. I won't comment on his fights, except to say that he had some awesome fights (3 stick and a couple knife I think). Both his stick work and his ground game are hell on his opponents, and I predict he'll be making Dog Brother in no time.

LOL, from your description it sounds like you fought my friend Lowell.

Posted On:
    7/17/2006 9:49am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by poidog
    All in all, a great day for the NoHo clan. Hopefully, Red Elvis will chime in with his experience. I won't comment on his fights, except to say that he had some awesome fights (3 stick and a couple knife I think). Both his stick work and his ground game are hell on his opponents, and I predict he'll be making Dog Brother in no time.

Well, this was my first gathering so to say that I was a bit nervous would be an understatement. I ended up fighting in one knife fight and two single stick fights. As Poi mentioned this was the biggest gathering they have ever experienced with almost forty fighters total. It was definitely with it to come and watch because there was over two hours of non stop fighting action and there were some awesome fights.

First fight:
    As is typical in this event the first group of fights are knife fights. This kind of serves as a warm-up and a way to get you into the action without sustaining too much damage. My first fight was against a guy who has a couple of years under his belt. We fought with a single knife each and when we went out onto the mat they actually stopped my opponent because his gloves were too big. Not wanting to waste any time he opted not to wear any gloves. Sweet. We start to fight and my first strike is right to his hand. I pretty sure I got him across his knuckles as they looked a little red after the fight but I could have just hit his upper hand. I have a feeling this pissed him off because he immediately followed the strike with a rush and clinch.

Now, typically in the knife fighting portion you are supposed to act as though the blade is real. So to say I was taken by surprise is definitely not out of order. We were clinched and I was trying to control his knife hand while he tried to get me to the ground. I'm not sure how we went down (kinda fuzzy here) but only know that I ended up with a high mount on his chest. At this point I was trying to control his knife hand (at the elbow joint) while stabbing him repeatedly in the neck. What I did wrong for sure was control his elbow joint which allowed him complete mobility from the elbow up so that he was able to stab me in the side easily about ten times. Although I basically severed his head with multiple knife strikes he would have gutted me. I'm still not sure why he chose to close and clinch with knives but the morale of the story there was we both died multiple times. After that fight my ribs were hurting like crazy and I was feeling pain with deep breaths. The bruises lasted about five days from this but luckily no cracked ribs.

Second Fight:
    My second fight was actually against the same guy but this time it was stick vs stick. We circled the mat a bit and traded a couple shots with no real contact or just some stick to stick until he nailed my wrist with a good shot. (Owww... I still need to work on that). What I failed to mention thus far was that he had about 35 lbs on me and his stick was pretty thick and heavy. It sent shockwaves through my arm so as he withdrew I decided to close the distance. We clinched and traded knees for a bit as I was digging the lower portion of my stick deep into his lat. Eventually we ended up on the ground only this time I was in the guard. (Again I forget how we got there but believe it was on my failed takedown attempt. I tried pretty quick for an armbar but I don't remember my positioning being too good. I punyo'd him repeatedly in the back while he tried to punch my in the head.

Somehow we both lost our sticks (don't recall how) and ended up fighting with him trying to ground and pound and me keeping him either close or far to mitigate his punches. A couple punches got through at one point but I wasn't too worried as he had gloves on and I was going for a submission. Only it was then I realized he wasn't wearing gloves (must have taken them off?) and the punches to my left eye really friggen hurt. Right there I should have got more aggressive (I was pretty calm so far) but I did put my size 9 1/2 Etnies in his face with some good kicks at least twice. The fight continued like this for a bit and then got broken up. I was actually disappointed that I didn't try for a sweep or at least pull off my gloves and jack him Royce vs Kimo style.

Third fight:
    By now my ribs are smarting, my hand is numb and my left eye is swollen in two places but the show must go on. This time I fought a guy from Switzerland who is a part of Lonely Dog's group who had a couple years under his belt. He was very technically sound compared to my beginning level and was doing a good job of staying out of my range. We circled for a bit and traded some good shots. I'd say for every one time I hit him he got me at least two times. Finally we clinched but he was able to get free and nailed me with an awesome shot to the shoulder. At this point my mask was on sideways, my stick went flying from my hand and I was facing at an angle away from him. This is where the spirit of the pack came into play because he could have totally jacked me. Instead he allowed me to straighten my mask and even gave me my stick back. I will say that he and the whole Lonely Dog crew from Europe were a class act. Crafty asked me if I had my wits about me and I said I was good to go. We tapped in and started to fight again.

The second part went much like the first as he got me with at least two shots to my one. I think he had my number in the shoulder region because he must have hit me in the same shoulder about three or four times. I learned a lesson there. The head shot is good but with the fencing mask the shoulder was a better target as it started to effect my shoulder mobility and even my grip. After a bit we ended up clinched again and went to the ground. (Again... fuzzy on the takedown). On the ground we rolled for position for a bit and somehow he ended up on the receiving end of my triangle choke. Only my angle was off a bit and he was able to hold on. I tried pulling the head, pulling the foot down and even tried to armbar his caught arm while I hit him a few times in the face. (He was f-en tough!). Eventually I did manage to roll him over so I had a mounted triangle but at this point my leg strength was gone and he was able to bridge and power out of it. He ended up in my guard where he head butted me a couple times as I boxed the side of his head and his ears with some open palm shots. (We agreed before the fight at his request to do open hand strikes to the face while grappling). Finally the fight was over. He was a tough guy and a class act and it was an awesome back and forth battle! His standup stick fighting was superior and my grappling ground game was superior. No doubt he will work on his weakness and I will work on mine. The next day I had huge bruises and welts on my shoulder and when I took my glove off after the fight I had a thick bloody chunk of skin hanging off my thumb knuckle.

The lessons I took away from this first gathering was that I need to be more aggressive. I also need to be more patient in the stick fighting portion. They would wait for me and time my shots which gave them the option of my hand, wrist or shoulder. Going to work the next day with a two part black eye and a cheese grated forehead was fun to explain. (Forgot to mention in the first stick fight my mask was off while his was still on and he rubbed his mask across my face removing some forehead skin.) It was a blast and the best part was when more than half of the fighters got together afterward for some beer and food at the local bar. The bar even had Pride Fighting on which is the last thing they should have been playing for a bunch of guys who just got done beating each other up. (It almost got us ready to go again!)

I will say though that the standout fights were the stick vs shock knife fight (Island Dog vs Marc Scott) and the fight with one of the Dunnage Brothers vs Gints. Wish I could watch that one again. (FYI - Gints is the guy in the fight club news clips there have been some recent threads about. You know, the one guys in the thread were calling nerds.) The Dunnage brother got some nasty black eyes and Gints had his finger literally opened like a lobster tail. They were both going full bore and it was sweet. All I can say is thanks to Poidog and the rest of the NoHo DB clan for preparing me and we'll see how the next one goes. Next time I'll have more than four months of Kali training. Sweeeet!
    Last edited by Red Elvis; 7/17/2006 9:52am at .

Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    7/17/2006 11:56am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are insane in a good way.

Posted On:
    7/17/2006 2:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    You are insane in a good way.
    Insane yes... good... hmmm....

:eusa_shhh

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/17/2006 5:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Elvis
    At this point I was trying to control his knife hand (at the elbow joint) while stabbing him repeatedly in the neck. What I did wrong for sure was control his elbow joint which allowed him complete mobility from the elbow up so that he was able to stab me in the side easily about ten times. Although I basically severed his head with multiple knife strikes he would have gutted me.
    Thanks for this write up -- definitely clarifies a conversation we had earlier. In retrospect (given the same grappling situation), do you think it would have made more sense to control at the forearm or at the wrist?

I haen't had a chance to roll with knives since that last discussion (damn injuries) so I still have yet to really play with these ideas.

- Matt
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Posted On:
    7/17/2006 7:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bernius
    Thanks for this write up -- definitely clarifies a conversation we had earlier. In retrospect (given the same grappling situation), do you think it would have made more sense to control at the forearm or at the wrist?

I haen't had a chance to roll with knives since that last discussion (damn injuries) so I still have yet to really play with these ideas.

- Matt
    Damn, I forgot about that! I will need to experiment this week. I did find myself in a similar situation last Saturday that would work. While sparring my partner had a hold of a stick and was trying to fang choke me. I rolled him over and found myself mounted with his right hand holding the stick. When he went to strike me I simply controlled his wrist long enough to put my shin/knee across his upper forearm pinning his right arm to the ground. I then basically mimicked about ten unanswered blows to his face while we both laughed at his fucked predicament. It would have worked perfect in the Gathering to stop my opponents knife and it would be perfect in real application as well. My only concern would be not getting stabbed while even getting to the superior position of the mount. Had we been sparring with blades on Saturday no doubt he would have cut me multiple times prior.

I will say this. After watching part of the knife fights there was only one fight that somebody would have survived if the blades were not metal trainers. It was when one of the guys ironically that I train with managed somehow to disarm his opponent sending the blade flying. (Maybe a kick? Damn if I didn't see the disarm) Crafty even mentioned to the crowd that one out of twenty plus fights is not good odds.

In the stick vs shock knife fight they did a good job too of being extra cognoscente about the blade but it still did some serious damage on the ground. My angle was bad so I couldn't really see how Island Dog was controlling the knife hand. Marc Scott (who posts on here sometimes) also mentioned it was difficult wielding the knife because it was super easy for it to accidentally touch yourself. It was sweet to see the sparks fly and to hear the crackle when the shock knife made contact. I'm sure you'll end up seeing it in a video and for sure in the pictures when they post.

Let me know how it works out for you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast