Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2006 6:04pm

Style: Hapkido/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is the first time I've heard of ARMA. How is it different from Eastern fighting styles? What does it emphasize?

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    7/24/2006 7:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ARMA's great. I used to train according to their "method" back when they were HACA. Even corresponded a bit with Clements, though I doubt he'd remember me.

But depending on your location, there are other good groups out there. There's the Chicago Swordplay Guild in... er, CHicago. There's AEMMA up in Canada. Just off the top of my head. There's more of course, if you do the looking.

ARMAteer

Posted On:
    7/25/2006 7:56am

supporting member
     Style: Historical European Fence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Torch
    This is the first time I've heard of ARMA. How is it different from Eastern fighting styles? What does it emphasize?
    We generally refer to what we do as "historical fencing" which is really a much more complete fighting system than most people realize, very different from any modern sport fencing decended from it. It includes fighting with all manner of close combat weapons such as swords, daggers, and pole arms, as well as various kampfringen (combat wrestling) techniques. ARMA is about reconstructing medieval and renaissance fighting arts of European origin. Most people don't even realize that the western world had sophisticated, methodical fighting arts, taught by professional masters that were every bit as effective and well developed as anything coming from the Orient. The term "martial arts" usually evokes thoughts of Karate, Kung Fu, or other Asian arts, but obviously, "martial" is a western term, with it's origin in the name Mars, the Roman god of war. It's clear that the west has a martial tradition going back thousands of years, unfortunately, with the invention of modern weapons like firearms, much of it was no longer taught or practiced. We are trying to develop a realistic and effective reconstruction of these arts, both unarmed and with weapons, as a modern discipline. There's a lot of good info on the website, I recommend you browse around. Here's an intro article: http://www.thearma.org/about.htm
    Matt Anderson
    ARMA, Virginia Beach
    www.thearma.org

Posted On:
    7/26/2006 10:30am

Style: Mostly drinking. E-chaun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think he means because there are people who nut-ride clements and everything he does.

However how is this different than any MA school?

ARMA is just a much much bigger organization than a small school so you are going to have more than one or two people that do it. I'd be willing to bet you have the same proportion of nut-riders of the "teacher" or "head" of the school/style in any organization or school any of us have trained with too.

A "cult" would be where the person encourages this and says "do as I say regardless of how stupid it seems". I don't see clements telling you to pretend to be the black knight and block the GW bridge with a greatsword "none shall pass"
    -quite the contrary I think he would kick that person's ass for bieng such a jackass.

The focus of ARMA is on what actually works, not what clements says works but can't be proven through sparring.
    Last edited by Bluto Blutarsky; 7/26/2006 10:31am at . Reason: add

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2006 1:24pm

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Emerald Torch, I believe there is either an ARMA or SCA group around falls church.

If you search my name and either of those terms you will find some information on that group. I think they meet on sundays either near a library or school.

ARMAteer

Posted On:
    7/26/2006 7:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hl1978
    Emerald Torch, I believe there is either an ARMA or SCA group around falls church.

If you search my name and either of those terms you will find some information on that group. I think they meet on sundays either near a library or school.
    Yep, there is an ARMA study group in the DC/Maryland/N. VA area, run by Hugh Long:

hugh_b_long@yahoo.com
    Matt Anderson
    ARMA, Virginia Beach
    www.thearma.org

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 5:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matt Anderson,

Do you ever practise the material in Hans Talhoffer's manual? I was practising it with my friend who helped do a translation of it about 30 years ago.
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

ARMAteer

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 4:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry_Spastic
    Matt Anderson,

Do you ever practise the material in Hans Talhoffer's manual? I was practising it with my friend who helped do a translation of it about 30 years ago.
    Yes, he is certainly considered one of the most important of the German Masters. Actually, Talhoffer wrote three manuscripts dated 1443, 1459, and 1467, covering just about every aspect of the combat of the period, including seige weapons and whacky looking inventions of all kinds. His material is difficult to use on it's own, he doesn't provide much explaination on how to perfom the techniques. After studying other German masters such as Johanes Lichtenauer and Sigmund Ringeck, who explain techniques and principles in more detail, Talhoffer's material makes a lot more sense to me and appears to be at least somewhat similar to other German masters.
    Matt Anderson
    ARMA, Virginia Beach
    www.thearma.org

Posted On:
    1/04/2008 6:57pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

help!

can some one help me here. i am playing arma armed assult on pc and and i tried to download an addon but didnt work , it says complete but dosent work , is it maybe something to do with the version , like, 1.1 , 1.2 , 1.3 etc , can you please help me.

Posted On:
    1/04/2008 6:59pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i was wondering if you could help me ! , im online now
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast