Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2006 7:32pm

Style: Nothing currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

ARMA, help please.

Does anyone here participate in any ARMA groups...or schools, I really don't even know how its organized. Are they actually credible, what are their training methods, what sort of arts have you learned?

I really don't like 'Classical fencing' schools as a whole, because they really mostly are just failed sports fencers with a grudge and a 'to deadly' attitude.

ARMA on the other hand seems different and sincere, but I would love to hear some first hand accounts.

For instance, in the rapier fencing is it NHB like Epee fencing, or do they try to instill rules such as fully extending the arm every time you want to score a touch? Is there a right of way rule like sabre or foil fencing?

Thanks in advance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2006 1:55am

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi.1
    Does anyone here participate in any ARMA groups...or schools, I really don't even know how its organized. Are they actually credible, what are their training methods, what sort of arts have you learned?

I really don't like 'Classical fencing' schools as a whole, because they really mostly are just failed sports fencers with a grudge and a 'to deadly' attitude.

ARMA on the other hand seems different and sincere, but I would love to hear some first hand accounts.

For instance, in the rapier fencing is it NHB like Epee fencing, or do they try to instill rules such as fully extending the arm every time you want to score a touch? Is there a right of way rule like sabre or foil fencing?

Thanks in advance.
    You might PM Annatrocity she is the person i would ask about arma as she is an active member. You might also try to hit up their web site.

http://www.thearma.org/

ARMAteer

Posted On:
    7/15/2006 7:46am

supporting member
     Style: Historical European Fence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi.1

Thanks in advance.
    Hey Obi

ARMA is a big, international organization but is really a collection of small, local "study groups". Definately check out the website, there is a ton of info there about ARMA, it's methodology, training, organizations, etc. But really, the best way to check it out is to try and hook up with some members and see what's it like. Check the "practice partners and study groups" page on the website. Also, if there is no group near you, there may still be an associate member or two near you, looking for training partners to form a study group. We are generally very welcoming to anyone who is interested and willl gladly let you join in on training sessions to see what it's like, loan you equipment, etc.
    Matt Anderson
    ARMA, Virginia Beach
    www.thearma.org

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    7/17/2006 10:43pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't really do any rapier stuff myself, not my bag, but the "rules" are basically stab the other guy, dont get stabbed, be friends at the end of the day.

We're concerned only with what works for real with sharp swords and what was done historically, not rules that dont make any sense.

Grappling is common in our sparring, disarming, takedowns, etc. All legal.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    7/17/2006 10:45pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hell, there's a video where two guys are sparring with rapiers on the site, they clinch up to a degree and one guy boots the other in the groin. We don't really encourage that kind of thing in the context of sparring but our unofficial organizational motto is "was sehrt, das lehrt". what hurts, teaches.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2006 3:03pm

Style: WMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While ARMA seems to be about on par with other WMA groups, and in fact it leads the field in many ways, it does seem to be a bit of a John Clements cult. Search around their website www.thearma.org and see if you agree.

Swordsmanship is a ripe area for BS, since it's mostly untestable. Considering how bad it could get, I'd say it's ok. Another source for cross-checking is www.swordforum.com

ARMAteer

Posted On:
    7/18/2006 8:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tora
    While ARMA seems to be about on par with other WMA groups, and in fact it leads the field in many ways, it does seem to be a bit of a John Clements cult.
    While many of us, myself included, have a great deal of respect and admiration for John because of his skill as a fencer and scholarship in his field, I can assure you that ARMA is no cult. ARMA is about the contributions of it's members, not just John Clements. ARMA really operates as a collection of relatively independant study groups doing their own thing anyway. John doesn't micro-manage what we do, or deal with us in a heavy handed or authoritarian way at all. He is the director of the organization, and provides a lot of guidance and inspiration, but he is no cult leader. Many of us have contributed to the re-discovery of the Western fighting arts through translation and interpretation of period texts, teaching classes and seminars, and publishing works on historical fighting. It's really not all about John. If you really want to find out about ARMA, hook up with some members. I have always extended an open invite to anyone who's interested to come out and train with us, see what it's all about, no strings attached, and I'm sure the other study groups would do the same.
    Matt Anderson
    ARMA, Virginia Beach
    www.thearma.org

ARMAteer

Posted On:
    7/18/2006 8:34pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW Tora, is this you?

http://www.blacktigers.us/blacktiger...&username=Tora

If not, do you mind telling me your about your WMA experience, affiliation, etc.
    Matt Anderson
    ARMA, Virginia Beach
    www.thearma.org

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 6:06pm

Style: WMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Anderson
    BTW Tora, is this you?

http://www.blacktigers.us/blacktiger...&username=Tora

If not, do you mind telling me your about your WMA experience, affiliation, etc.
    No problem. I was introduced to WMA many years ago by Brian Price of Schola St George; we specialize in longsword from Fiore dei Liberi's Flos Duellatorum, and of course the dagger material, etc.

Lately I've been working on reconstructing fighting techniques from the dark ages.

To be fair, I haven't trained with ARMA. I've known a few members, and of course they vary as any large group does. I know that one waster manufacturer was banned by Arma for what seemed by minor shipping delays; it seemed harsh and authoritative but I guess I don't know all the details.

And, no, Tora just means tiger in Japanese, no surprise that other people choose that name. :)

ARMAteer

Posted On:
    7/20/2006 12:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tora
    No problem. I was introduced to WMA many years ago by Brian Price of Schola St George; we specialize in longsword from Fiore dei Liberi's Flos Duellatorum, and of course the dagger material, etc.

Lately I've been working on reconstructing fighting techniques from the dark ages.

To be fair, I haven't trained with ARMA. I've known a few members, and of course they vary as any large group does. I know that one waster manufacturer was banned by Arma for what seemed by minor shipping delays; it seemed harsh and authoritative but I guess I don't know all the details.

And, no, Tora just means tiger in Japanese, no surprise that other people choose that name. :)
    OK, thanks. I still don't get your "cult" comment, but...whatever. I urge anyone who is genuinely interested in ARMA to check it out for themselves. It's not a cult of any kind, it's just a bunch of really serious martial artists, many of whom are probably too obsessed with historical weapons and fighting and really like to hit each other, but are otherwise normal folks from all walks of life. We do tend to attract a lot people who are in Law enforcement and the military, but I think that's a good thing!
    Matt Anderson
    ARMA, Virginia Beach
    www.thearma.org
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast