Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/19/2011 12:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

It's that time

Time to buy a new gun. My last purchase was a Springfield Armory XD 40 about a year and a half ago (nice gun, no complaints). Sitting in the safe I have my G23, Kimber Custom Classic (series I, best trigger and most accurate handgun I've ever shot), Sig 245, SA Stainless Loaded 1911 (just switched out the two piece FLGR for a GI set up, need to test it) and my Bushmaster AR. Not looking for a new longgun because it's so damn hard to go shoot one in the People's Republic of NJ. So, new handgun. I'm feeling the Springfield Armory Champion Operator, possibly for future use as a carry pistol. My budget is pretty open. I am looking for input or ideas from the more knowledgable shooters as to what to consider.

Posted On:
    3/19/2011 2:00pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to have that exact pistol, but I sold it off (stupid me). I really liked it. The Champion Operator uses a dual recoil spring assembly. It's a real pain to get the slide apart because of it unless you use the tools provided in the box, little C shaped cylinders that click onto the recoil spring holding it collapsed part way so it slides out. They're extremely easy to lose, though, as was my case and stripping and cleaning the pistol became a real chore. If you like simplicity when you take down a pistol, this may not be the pistol for you. If it doesn't matter, go for it. The full sized operators use a standard barrel, bushing, and original guide rod assembly and are as easy to strip down as any GI style 1911.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    3/19/2011 3:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my next handgun will probably be a revolver, I don't know if it'll be a compact or full size, most likely .357.
    I know its a .38 but I just love it this gun

and this one

Posted On:
    3/19/2011 4:28pm

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If guns were hobby material in the UK, I'd go this:

And this:

Alas, it is not to be.

I bought my dad a replica colt navy for his birthday, and it is a thing of beauty, and feels wonderful to hold and aim.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

:)

Posted On:
    3/19/2011 4:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll take this.
    Name:  big-fing-gun.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  12.6 KB
    I can wear it with....enormous trousers, naturally.
    Name:  macbeth.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  5.9 KB
    now, if I can just find a hat to match.

Posted On:
    3/19/2011 7:18pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Someone else mentioned the recoil system being a PITA. I'm sure I could swap it out with something simpler but maybe the full size lightweight operator is worth a look. I'm actually big enough that I don't have problems cocealing full sized pistols.

Posted On:
    3/19/2011 11:33pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My personal taste is to stick as close to the M1911A1 design as possible, though I've never carry concealed, so that recoil assembly gets my goat. Do you need a rail, or would something like the Rock Island Armory Compact Tactical suit your purposes?

My 1911 is a Rock Island Armory GI in .45ACP; thus far I've only added Hogue rubber grips and an arched mainspring housing.

Posted On:
    3/20/2011 12:29am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not really educated on RIs. I think they are made in the PI but that's about it. I will take a look. I don't really need a rail. Usually i like the retro look, blue steel, wood grips etc. I just thought the whole Champ Operator concept was well thought out. I also like th Ed Brown Executive Carry but that might be stretching my budget a little.

Posted On:
    3/20/2011 12:49am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    Not really educated on RIs. I think they are made in the PI but that's about it. I will take a look. I don't really need a rail. Usually i like the retro look, blue steel, wood grips etc. I just thought the whole Champ Operator concept was well thought out. I also like th Ed Brown Executive Carry but that might be stretching my budget a little.
    I will tell you all I can about Rock Island Armory (I usually use the full name to avoid confusion with the arsenal), either in thread or via PM. I really admire Ed Brown products, notably the very model you mentioned, and I buy Ed Brown parts when possible. My frame rebuild kit (bought so I have spare pins) is from Ed Brown, but it's a shame he doesn't offer an arched mainspring housing with lanyard loop. The mainspring housing I have now came from Sarco, and it appears to be just fine—still not truly M1911A1 though, because the lanyard loop isn't pinned to the mainspring housing. Nevertheless, my natural point of aim is dead on.

Posted On:
    3/20/2011 3:23am

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure if you could swap out the recoil assembly or not. You for sure won't be able to switch to a barrel and bushing setup because of the way the slide is cut (as far as I know), but you might be able to switch to a Kimber 4" barrel style recoil spring assembly with a single spring without too much trouble since both the Kimber compacts and SA Champions are 4" designs instead of 4.25" (Commander). Although SA's dual spring setup was pretty darn nice IMO, just a pain during disassembly and reassembly after losing the tool for it.

If you're willing to spend the money on a 1911 that's in a higher price range, the Colt Wiley Clapp Commander is a REALLY nice pistol. If I had 1,300 to spend, that's where it would go. But that's just me. Colt also has a looser slide-to-frame fit than SA and Kimber, which in my experience really does make for a more reliable pistol. My Colt has a few thousand through it with no issues of any kind and I honestly haven't taken the best care of it.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast