Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2006 7:08pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Does practicing Martial arts require FIGHT ADDICTION?

I dunno. When I joined up at the MMA gym at first, I did it originally as an outlet. I needed one. I had depression and anger related problems. So fighting seemed like a good idea.

At first, I impressed the instructors and the advanced students because my skills were "good for a beginner". They said I punch and kick pretty hard... probably technique in throwin a punch... its not all about strength as some of you might say... I gained respect and all that... it was kinda fun...

But now I'm just starting to suck. Is it just me? I feel like I deteriorated. I just lost my aggressiveness for some reason that its just so fuckin pathetic. Ive been getting that "cmon! you dont fight like that!" for at least a month now.

You see, Ive been taking antidepressants the doctor prescribed. It makes me just calm down unusually. Like I dont wanna get angry, I dont wanna get depressed, I dont wanna fight. I havent taken em for a couple weeks already... and nothin happened. Probably fixed up my brain chemicals permanently.

So is there any connection between brain chemicals and depression and aggressiveness or anything like that? Cuz I dunno. Back when I was all depressed and angry and suicidal, Ive been fighting good and aggressively.

I already tried taking 1 week rest, doin a cold shower, and watchin a ton of fight vids to "get me back into it".

I dunno.

But what makes me want to go back and train is the feeling of FIGHTING AS A NECESSARY SKILL for me. Cuz I'm a little guy... short arms, short legs, not too strong... and I fuckin swear I arm wrestled this girl who MADE ME TRY for it... I'm like... if I didnt do any weight training, I woulda lost. So my "natural strength" is just fucking weak. I got a bit stronger cuz of training and weights and all. But naturally I am fucking weak :(

I also dont have too many friends so I have to learn fighting.

/end rant/

Posted On:
    7/14/2006 7:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your Jing is weak.

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    7/14/2006 8:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry dude. You're in the Mike Tyson club. It's a bottomless pit which the civilized world will allow no escape. I offer two options. Learn "peak performance" or drop mma and take up just grappling/wrestling.
    Sumus extra manum tuam.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    7/14/2006 8:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    get laid.

Office Drone

Posted On:
    7/14/2006 8:55pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    get laid.
    ya bro this is sound advice

will help your grappling as well

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    7/14/2006 8:57pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    get laid.
    Why don't you put Roosevelt's name inside the quote box? It just looks weird floating there.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    7/14/2006 9:22pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It developed fight addiction in me...

EDIT: Getting laid, I mean.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    7/14/2006 9:26pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had the same slump for about the past 2 months, dont know what it was but i imagine maybe the stress of moving. But people i am way better then were just making me look like a fool in sparring and I was gassing out after a round or two.

I seem to be getting back to normal now so I assume it's just temporary, hang in there.

Another thing, when you spar try not to go into it as just sparring for the sake of sparring, spar to win. It seems to me when I just spar because the instructor says to I have a rough day but when I decide I am going to beat ass I do. So yeh, try that to.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    7/14/2006 9:32pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    Another thing, when you spar try not to go into it as just sparring for the sake of sparring, spar to win. It seems to me when I just spar because the instructor says to I have a rough day but when I decide I am going to beat ass I do. So yeh, try that to.
    Kano loves you: "Even if you are at risk of losing, you must take the offensive, try various waza ,and train hard. [] The reason for the kinds of the abuses that have arisen today is that people have forgotten that randori practice means fighting in earnest."
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/14/2006 10:00pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like all physical activities, there is a risk of hitting a plateau. Do some other (lighter) physical activity for a few weeks, take a break, get some rest... or get laid.

Now, you said something very interesting
    also dont have too many friends so I have to learn fighting
    Your gym should not also be a place to train and spar and fight. See it as a venue to socialize; every hobby, every activity or passion we choose to pursue should also be seen as an opportunity to make friends whenever there is a chance.

Also, if you feel relatively weak, perhaps you indeed are overtraining at your gym. As I said, take a break, if not for working out your conditioning, at least to give your mind and body a break.

You'll be surprised how much return on investment a few weeks of doing nothing can do, specially if we like to live busy. Really, just take a few weeks off training, don't even watch fights videos. Just do something else.

I got into dancing about 6 years ago, and I loved it... and I got into it for the same reasons, as an outlet for depression (plus I'm a bit of manic compulsive and a bit of ADD). It helped me tremendously, but from time to time I would feel burned. So my solution was to take a month off dance training - either I would just to to the gym or just do some other ****, reading, making friends and stuff like that. Short breaks are a necessity.

Now that I'm back into training MA, it's great. I took like three months off, and it helped me a lot. I got burned out again, and I took a month off. Now I went back to BJJ and I feel great. I'm sure my inconsistency slows down my MA learning, BUT it helps cope with the burn-out phase of it.

Take a break, perhaps even try something else for a while, dancing or yoga... or just nothing. Breaks help. Routines help focus, but we also need to make room for a bit of flexibility and to keep in mind that from time to time we need to take a break.

Hope it helps.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast