Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help on deciding on a MA.

Greetings.

I am not a native speaker, so please excuse the oddities of my posts. Thanks.

I have loved Martical Arts ever since I was I child (I am 35 now). I have practised Judo, Jiu-Jiutsu, ‘Full Contact’, Aikido and Niniutsu, but I stopped due to a knee injury.

I want to make a comeback, but there’s still the thing about my knee. That means that kicks and waist throws (O-goshi et al.) are out of the question. I have been looking around, but I am still not sure on what to take. I wonder if you could help me.

My questions for you -so far:

1) Wing Chun: From the SD viewpoint, what is better: To do WC or not to do anything at all?

2) BJJ: First Question: Are there many waist throws? Second question: In this style, do you always go to the ground? It makes much more sense to me to let your opponent fly to the ground while you stand up.

3) Kickboxing: I’ve thought that I may go and tell the instructor that I’d rather not kick. I would get some boxing training and have some experience in dodging kicks.

4) Kendo: Oh, that’s my baby. I have always wanted to do it. They’ve finally opened a school here, but I admit it’s useless for SD. It’s my last option.

Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions.

P.S. Don't pull your punches.

Style
    Shootfighting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DO NOT do Wing chun. It blows hard. Totally worthless.
    I've yet to study BJJ, and thus can't answer on the topic of throwing techniques (though I've come to the opinion that the majority of BJJ players use wrestling-like takedowns and trips rather than throws.) but I know that BJJ always goes to ground.
    And going to ground makes more sense, since obtaining superior position and submitting the opponent is much more reliable than hoping one throw will knock them out.
    If you're knee injury really is that bad, I'd recommend against striking arts.
    Since it does sound like it really hinders you, my advice would be to get it seriously treated, surgery or whatnot. But that's just me.

Welcome to the boards.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens! supporting member

Style
    karate / bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    talk to your doctor, obviously, before doing ANYTHING.

but really, if you've got serious knee concerns, and you still want to fight, there are worse choices than taking up good old boxing (or your somewhat annatrocity-esque kickboxing without kicking plan).

and by worse choices, i mean everything else i can think of.
    Last edited by pauli; 7/12/2006 11:48pm at .

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you all.

Backdraft:

Wing Chun: crossed out.

Your defense of the strategy of BJJ is very convincing.

Pauli: I have been to the doctor, and I have become very good at 'listening to my knee'. The thing is that for me some exercise is better than no exercise at all. I have to keep my legs strong and flexible, but no kicks and no waist throws for me.

My plan is to have a go at BJJ and see if I can do it. I won't strain myself. As soon as I get the basics of BJJ I'll try to learn to throw some good punches.

By the way, what has Annatrocity have to do with my loony idea of no-kicks-kickboxing? :)

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi there.

I've trained a wide variety of styles all with substantial knee injuries (ACL tears in both knees). I currently train in GGJ just fine with no problems from either knee.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That ˇs great news for me. :)

What is GGJ?

Style
    BJJ, Wing Chun
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wing chun is excellent if you find a good teacher. The trick is, finding one. They are few and far betwee. Don't listen to Backdraft, he takes it in the backdoor.

BJJ is great but it would be tough w/ a injured knee.

Forget kickboxing if you knee is bad...look into boxing.

Forget Kendo.

If you are seriouly interested in self defense, but have a nagging injury, learn how to use a knife and a gun.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amp
    BJJ is great but it would be tough w/ a injured knee.

If you are seriouly interested in self defense, but have a nagging injury, learn how to use a knife and a gun.
    Speaking as a guy who's needed knee surgery for a few years now I think BJJ is less dangerous than most hard sparring stand up arts. Provided you find a dojo that has experienced guys who are not trying to take everyone's head (or knee) off everytime they step out onto the mat. IME most legitimate BJJ places do not do this.

Amp's second statement in the above quote is the best advice so far in this thread.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Style
    BJJ, Wing Chun
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    Speaking as a guy who's needed knee surgery for a few years now I think BJJ is less dangerous than most hard sparring stand up arts. Provided you find a dojo that has experienced guys who are not trying to take everyone's head (or knee) off everytime they step out onto the mat. IME most legitimate BJJ places do not do this.
    You are probably right...and since I've only been doing formally training BJJ for a month or so now...I will certainly defer to your experience.

Though I figured given the amount of time spent on the knees (in one way or another), it seemed like it would be tough w/ that kind of injury.

Style
    MMA/Pankration
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your English is pretty good! I didn't detect any oddities...
    "Prison is for rapists, thieves and murderers. If you lock someone up for smoking a plant that makes them happy, you're the fucking criminal." - Joe Rogan

El Guapo says dance!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last