Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2006 8:56am

Style: Ju-jitsu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyartist101
    question about jjj. is jjj stand up gain design to set up for a throw or takedown and then submision or could a good jjj student go against lets say a karate or kungfu or even american kickboxing guy and struggle on the stand up tip
    Suprisingly enough, in our style of jujitsu (And I believe a lot of other styles of jujitsu) the last place we want to be is on the ground. Since jujitsu is mostly a self defense art, we assume that if you're fighting the ground it may not be the best place to be (Which I can attest to as I carried heavy scars on the backs of my shoulder blades for quite a while) due to the nature of it; Concrete, broken glass, rocks and gravel, etc. On top of that fact, assuming it's a place like a bar, people like to throw kicks at people who are on the ground, especially if the guy you're fighting with is a friend of theirs. No one wants to be working their game on the ground and have some guy try to kick his head through the uprights.

If I were to square off against someone who studied Karate, Kung fu (The guy in the video in the black gi with the white belt had been doing kung fu for quite a while) or kickboxking, it probably wouldn't look like a standard striking match. We CAN strike, but we ARE a grappling art, so we're probably going to try to close the distance and clinch rather than try to throw punches and kicks. If we DO happen to throw someone, we're going to make every effort to stay standing and finish it from there. In our style of jujitsu, the striking comes from CQC, so the strikes you might see us throwing are not even standard strikes you'd expect to see. Axe hands, chin jabs and face smashes are staples in CQC.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    8/06/2006 10:53am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkslide632
    Suprisingly enough, in our style of jujitsu (And I believe a lot of other styles of jujitsu) the last place we want to be is on the ground.
    What Ryu?

Since jujitsu is mostly a self defense art,
    Wrong. 99% of Jujutsu are fighting arts.

Sorry. The stupidity of the first 2 sentences made my head hurt. I am not reading the rest.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2006 10:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pl4zM4
    What Ryu?

Wrong. 99% of Jujutsu are fighting arts.

Sorry. The stupidity of the first 2 sentences made my head hurt. I am not reading the rest.
    If you can't even bother reading the entire post, I'm not going to bother wasting my time. And I find it strange how jujitsu is generally considered the #1 self defense art, and yet apparently 99% of them don't do self defense...

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    8/06/2006 10:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can't even bother reading the entire post, I'm not going to bother wasting my time. And I find it strange how jujitsu is generally considered the #1 self defense art, and yet apparently 99% of them don't do self defense...

WHAT RYU OF JAPANESE JUJUTSU DO YOU DO?

Techniques for FIGHTING can be easily applied to self defense.

Source of Jujutsu being the #1 self defense art.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2006 10:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WHAT RYU OF JAPANESE JUJUTSU DO YOU DO?

Techniques for FIGHTING can be easily applied to self defense.

Source of Jujutsu being the #1 self defense art.
    I already answered that question earlier in the thread when you asked.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    8/06/2006 11:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That right Tsuki Shio Ryu Jujitsu which apparently in Judo and Boxing called Japanese Jujutsu. I forgot.

Question: Did Porter-Sensei teach you guys or did you just give me $ to be part of his org?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2006 11:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That right Tsuki Shio Ryu Jujitsu which apparently in Judo and Boxing called Japanese Jujutsu. I forgot.

Question: Did Porter-Sensei teach you guys or did you just give me $ to be part of his org?
    Actually, the Judo and boxing stuff comes from my training partner and I training outside of dojo. He likes to fight MMA and I like to help train him... since I study Judo and I enjoy the throws, my style of fighting uses it a lot. He actually taught me how to box.

I don't think I have any footage of us practicing CQC techniques full force. Padding or no padding I don't want to eat too many chin jabs, heh.

Regardless, the point is that our self defense techniques differ from competition techniques.

As far as Porter goes, my sensei studied directly under him for many years. We (Mostly meaning my instructor, as it was a while ago) were affiliated with him before the big Judo fiasco and remain loyal to him despite any questionable decisions he may have made in the past. Porter regularly comes to our dojo for seminars and whatnot, but I do not train at his dojo. So yes, he has taught us specifically. I actually have some pictures and videos of his last seminar which was strictly self defense.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    8/06/2006 11:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, the Judo and boxing stuff comes from my training partner and I training outside of dojo. He likes to fight MMA and I like to help train him... since I study Judo and I enjoy the throws, my style of fighting uses it a lot. He actually taught me how to box.

I don't think I have any footage of us practicing CQC techniques full force. Padding or no padding I don't want to eat too many chin jabs, heh.

Regardless, the point is that our self defense techniques differ from competition techniques.

As far as Porter goes, my sensei studied directly under him for many years. We (Mostly meaning my instructor, as it was a while ago) were affiliated with him before the big Judo fiasco and remain loyal to him despite any questionable decisions he may have made in the past. Porter regularly comes to our dojo for seminars and whatnot, but I do not train at his dojo. So yes, he has taught us specifically. I actually have some pictures and videos of his last seminar which was strictly self defense.

Fine. If you instructor studied directly from Porter Sensei, I'll accept your a legit school.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2006 11:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fine. If you instructor studied directly from Porter Sensei, I'll accept your a legit school.
    Well, that's good I guess. Thanks.

Hopefully there will be a throwdown around here at some point we can make it to. I mentioned it to my training partner and it sounded like a good idea to him. I'm sure it'd be fun regardless.

Posted On:
    5/31/2007 10:05am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Juko Kai/budokai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1st post but whatever, found this thread through the search function. My dojo teaches JJJ, which looks alot like what dark is learning. But every few weeks or so, our instructor brings in guys from other arts including BJJ to teach us, as well as judo. Just wanted to throw in my .2 cents about this whole JJJ don't know **** crap.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast