Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 5:49pm

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    This is a gross misrepresentation of Spencer and his views. Though certainly some of his writings led to later ideas concerning Eugenics, such ideas weren't (as I recall) presented in his own writings.

While Spencer viewed progression as a general theme throughout history, he also understood that it was the individual rather than races or cultures that were to generally evolve. This was in contradiction to other progression philosophers and social darwinists. It also appears to be more correct.

"Survival of the fittest" was actually a term coined by Spencer, not Darwin. It didn't appear in the origin of species until later editions.
    While I have read alot about Spencer, I haven't actually read his writings. While I already stated that his writings led to the idea of eugenics, most of the sources I have read strongly emphasized his importance in an evolutionary belief of racial superiority.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 5:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy
    Social Darwinism is the kind of phrase that a pretentious psuedo-intellect would use in its place.

Really? I was thinking the same thing for someone who insists the word ego is just stolen jargon and disagrees with the OED.

Nevermind, that's just my id again. (My superego once again insists I make it clear you can blame me for dumbing down the entire English language.)
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 7/19/2006 5:54pm at .
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 6:08pm

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Really? I was thinking the same thing for someone who insists the word ego is just stolen jargon and disagrees with the OED.

Nevermind, that's just my id again. (My superego once again insists I make it clear you can blame me for dumbing down the entire English language.)
    OED doesn't disagree with me... http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/ego?view=uk

A word describing someone's sense of self-esteem or self-importance does not equal to an overinflated sense of either.

Furthermore, the British Psycholanalyitic Society (at least in part, but probably in full) also agrees. http://www.psychoanalysis.org.uk/williams.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Williams
    Briefly, I’d like to say something about the problem many of these people face. First, we need to be aware of the agency in the mind responsible for regulating and managing our internal life in its dealings with others and the real world. This is what psychoanalysts call the ego. The term ego is commonly misused to denote self-centredness – “he has a big ego” or “he’s on an ego trip” - in fact describe a form of narcissism.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 8:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL, you guys DE-stickied my thread! Damn you! haha
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2006 9:47am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It stopped being about Ego for Newbies : ) (though I got some great advice. Guy seems to have chilled/gone into hiding for a bit, and my training goes on...mwahahaha!)

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    7/20/2006 9:55am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy
    OED doesn't disagree with me... http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/ego?view=uk

A word describing someone's sense of self-esteem or self-importance does not equal to an overinflated sense of either.

Furthermore, the British Psycholanalyitic Society (at least in part, but probably in full) also agrees. http://www.psychoanalysis.org.uk/williams.htm

Not wanting to argue the deficiencies of the Concise Edition versas its full OED alter ego, it is much funnier to leave it as follows:

D'OH!

Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/22/2006 12:30am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a big difference between being a tough guy and being a bully. Sounds like your boy did Bully Flag #1: he quit before anyone who posed a real threat actually challenged him. I bet he hangs out in a nearby bar, telling everyone within earshot how your school is a bunch of pussies. Enjoy his absence until he or his like-minded bretheren show up again.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567