Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2006 9:59am

Style: Muay Thai , BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think your in denial. Why would you bother posting this on Bullshido of all places if you didn't view him as a problem? He's a problem. Reason with him, beat him, or remove him. Hell find a BJJ girl in town and let her mangle him. He'll either snap out of it or never be seen again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2006 10:13am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, he's definitely a problem all right. One of many, but this is the only MA related one, and I don't have any experience with it. No girls in town tough enough, he's a respectably large fellow and I don't know anyone like AnnaT. He's being unreasonable, removal is an ugly ugly option... guess I'll have to triangle choke ftw.

Infidel

Posted On:
    7/14/2006 10:16am

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Breaklines are very fragile.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/14/2006 11:11am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RDRR
    This is one of the smartest things I've seen anyone write on this board in my 6 months or so of lurking... Word!

You don't get out much do you? We can't help it if your fagotty fucking ass doesn't have a fucking clue what's going on, or the fact that you don't know where all the cool fucking threads are. You suck at lurking if you think this is the most intellegent fucking thing you've seen in six months. You probably read 'Sponge Bob Square Pants' comic books with difficulty.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    7/14/2006 12:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    You don't get out much do you? We can't help it if your fagotty fucking ass doesn't have a fucking clue what's going on, or the fact that you don't know where all the cool fucking threads are. You suck at lurking if you think this is the most intellegent fucking thing you've seen in six months. You probably read 'Sponge Bob Square Pants' comic books with difficulty.
    Hey hey, easy there, don't run off my nutriders...I've been wanting a few of them for months now!

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    7/14/2006 12:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynergy
    Then, a somewhat moral question. I'm currently head of a small social organization, and one of our members, who came to jiujitsu with us for some 2, 3 sessions, then bought a gi, and then stopped coming... has become a bully. He used to just be touchy about his possessions, but has since come into some very aggravating "alpha male" frame of mind. Last night he was challenging complete untrained, unconditioned people to "rangori" (ugh), and then bitching about how my training partner and I were pussies for not wanting to go.

We'd trained the night before anyway, and both of us went through conditioning exercises and stretching yesterday. But my more immediate concern is his use of randori to forcibly prove issues for himself, and (presumably), others, especially when they have no understanding of the situation. He repeatedly challenged my drunk-on-the-floor housemate, a real sweet guy who shouldn't have to prove anything to anyone.

I'm expecting similar issues tonight, or very soon. I'm not quite sure how to handle it, although I expect I'll have to acquiese to his need to grapple without the benefit of solid instruction or truly suitable space (we're using the very thick grass in the backyard). Is this right? I'm not sure. I got a very strong feeling of distaste from his abusive methods, as one of the first things I came to accept was the uselessness of ego in training. Is going with him merely going to make this problem grow, or is it appropriate to keep at it until I can move beyond stalemates, and try to (calmly) explain why his actions are reprehensible?

Apologies for any threadjacking this might be? It struck a very strong chord for me, having just seen someone who is doing the work, but in what seems to be a very wrong direction.
    Well I can tell you, that at my current BJJ club, he would have been noticed and would have had his ass promptly beaten...6 times over, until he had nothing left to "prove" to anyone beyond how long he can last without getting triangled. Either that or he would have been kicked out.

I find this to be the only downfall of sports MA type schools is you get the teenage and college aged UFC wannabes that merely want to be a "badass." Luckily though in these types of environments, usually they are weeded out fairly early on. I've seen Omega comment on how it seems it's always the BJJ white belts that talk the most smack and ride the most nut in comparison to anyone above purple that are the most cordial and modest people you can find.

My recommendation would be to either find a way to kick him out, or merely kick his ass...or find someone who can. You're in western NY? What part, perhaps I can take a vacation for some newbie beatdowns :new_black

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2006 1:07pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, Kempo. I do, after a long long long time, want to instruct. I really enjoy teaching, and it seems like this is the first case of Nefarious Ego Run Amok I've come across in person, so I'm really trying to get the right view on it, from people that I respect for their teaching methods. I'm probably going to be the one taking him down, or my training partner (we have the same amount of experience, and usually run about dead even in randori). He's definitely going for the college aged white belt "badass" thing, he got some lucky headlock submission on a blue belt one of the few days he came, and then almost immediately stopped going.

I'm going to put my all out on it, and just try and gas him with guard defense before working for better position. He's a biggun, but has very poor cardio, and definitely runs out of steam after a bit. We're all about 30 mins south of Rochester, if you've ever been to that region. It's very lovely in the summer, assuming you can stand the smell of cow shite!

And, to turn this thread elsewhere, my class had an influx of perhaps 25-30% entirely new people on wednesday, all of whom fit exactly into the possible danger demographic you're describing. Is this becoming more and more prevalent as UFC and other such continue to grow in popularity? (not sure if this has been covered, have a few seconds left to post today. Cheers all.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2006 2:24pm

Style: Sanshou and Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being full of bitterness and hate, concealing it in a wimpy, timid, and cowardly behaviour like me isn't healthy, neither. Nor showing all the rage like a maniac.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/14/2006 3:04pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    this post is to explain to all of the outsiders who don't just quite get why Bullshido hates the "Fight without fighting" type cliches.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One of the most common misconceptions about martial arts is the moral implications of when and how to use your skills and the concept of self control. Today the cliche's of "win a fight without fighting" and "be the bigger person" are abused, and made out to be more than the common sense they were meant to be.

The reason why Bullshido posters may appear hold such sayings in contempt isn't because they don't follow them or believe in them, but rather far too often people who lack ability and experience use these lines as a cop-out to avoid testing themselves, and quite frankly to avoid reality. The "I have nothing to prove" response to an offer to spar is usually accompanied by the typical, "my techniques are too deadly to use in a friendly sparring match anyway" comment, which further deludes the speaker into believing this false image they have of themselves and their ability. The second reason why these comments just spit of stupidity and arrogance is the concept of complimenting yourself on having no ego or nothing to prove. To say that you have no ego but then make comments about how you're a "real man" or a "real martial artist" is nothing but hypocritical. It's like they say, it takes a truly arrogant person to brag about how modest they are.

As for "sports" fighters having the bigger ego problem is nothing but laughable. Although I don't compete myself, I train with alot of guys that do, and every one of them has been genuinely the most courteous, helpful, and modest martial artists I have ever met. This is because they honestly DON'T have anything to prove. Because every day in class they prove to themselves how good they are and what they are and aren't capable of. There is nothing left to the imagination. Getting your butt kicked in a sports like environment every day makes it very clear that you are not the best, and you never will be the best because there's always someone better. Instead of seeking to be the best, a true goal of self betterment is instilled in a much more pure and healthier form than any dead MA school could give you (see Thornton + Aliveness on youtube.com if you don't know what "dead" means) A true respect for others and a will to help others succeed can be best forged in this type of environment. A classroom transforms instead of being an individual experience where one gains knowledge from the teacher, but rather a community where every student grows and thrives from each other.

Now as for who I have met that do in fact have a tremendous ego problem seems to be the traditional style martial artists that train in dead environments. Having untested techniques, bloated ranks, and a pseudo-militaristic classroom structure where you get respect through seniority rather than ability is the ultimate breeding ground for arrogance. The amount of lip service that is paid to the practice of humility in these such environments is astounding. True humility cannot simply be taught and conveyed to another by words, it must be experienced.

What I'm trying to say it, sure it's better to walk away from a bar fight than to jump in because you feel you have something to prove to yourself, and sure it's better to talk your way out of a hostile confrontation than it is to start throwing punches, but to use such cliche's as an excuse not to spar or compete is nothing short of lying to yourself, and not facing your own fears of inadequacy.

...Oh yeah, almost forgot. Omega will be by shortly to assrape you. Welcome to Bullshido!
    Hi Kempo Fist .

You had some interesting points and I totally agree about the traditional martial artists and their ego problems but then again this post was just common sense really

Rich

Posted On:
    7/14/2006 3:29pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So is "aliveness" yet it's still lost on most of the Martial Arts community.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast