Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 11:59am

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    Why not mix the Judo in? It seems like the smooth transition to a backup plan would be a major part of Aikido for the non-superhuman.
    Up until the 1990s it wasn't uncommon to see a fair bit of Judo integrated into Tomiki Randori as most people tend to cross train. In the 1990s things were brought back on book to only utilize the 17 techniques that make up the Tomiki Randori no Kata. Some throwing techniques of Judo are still reflected within the larger framework of Tomiki Aikido as one needed to know them before one could know how to effectively counter them.

Tanto randori has a lot of odd features to it. Some of it was for saftey and some of it simply reflects how tanto were used by the Japanese. In randori tanto are held "edge" side upwards and the attacker attempts to mainly strike to the stomache area. This reflects how actual tanto were most often used to strike the stomache with a hard thrust to get through the protective clothing and then pulled back with an upward motion to cause serious intestinal damage. Lots of fun but not practical unless you're planning on going back in time to fight Samurai.

There is a good 10 minute clip of Tomiki Sensei and his students showing the basics of his art at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XFRt...omiki%20aikido

Since it was only demonstration and not of live training it manages to give the impresison that Aikido is most useful against one armed zombies, which we already knew.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 1:02pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi.1
    Why does it seem like these competitions are completely disregarded when people are saying Aikido is gay and worthless? It seems like standing jiu-jitsu to me. So if you knew Tomiki Aikido and BJJ you'de be a damn good grappler in all situation, by the looks of it...maybe?
    if you were to train bjj and aikido (of any sort), you'd be almost as good a grappler as if you'd only trained bjj.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 1:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Tomiki guys should compete in sub grappling and BJJ tournaments. Closed style tournaments with prescribed techniques can only lead to stagnation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 1:34pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pointy, isn't grappling clinch and ground based? Aikido is done from fingertip to fingertip armslength. While I am all for testing against other styles, grappling tournaments and their rulesets aren't really an option. If I am wrong please illustrate how.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 1:49pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it is often helpful for someone that intends to fight at a given range to have methods for keeping the fight at that range. grapplers have takedowns, strikers have footwork and sprawling, but what do aikidoka do?

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 5:09pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NasalInfection
    Pointy, isn't grappling clinch and ground based? Aikido is done from fingertip to fingertip armslength. While I am all for testing against other styles, grappling tournaments and their rulesets aren't really an option. If I am wrong please illustrate how.
    There's nothing to stop you dropping people with arm's length Aikido if you can pull it off. If you can't fight without rules to enforce your range, then your style has a problem.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 5:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by stray_bullet
    Thanks...that really changed my thoughts on FMAs potential worth in MMA type training and quite possibly keeping myself alive someday. Ive pretty much ignored the Dog Brothers after seeing them in my krotty days, and not having the slightest clue as to what the **** was going on, which isnt surprising, seeing that an armbar was equally as perplexing at the time. Ive pretty much dismissed kali/arnis/escrima etc. as **** for not providing much in terms of resistance. I completely forgot about this.

You kick fucking ass, man.
    Uhhh... you're welcome?
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2006 7:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    There's nothing to stop you dropping people with arm's length Aikido if you can pull it off. If you can't fight without rules to enforce your range, then your style has a problem.
    Fair enough, just wasn't sure what the rulesets were for those competitions. It would be an interesting thing to try but I am not sure how effective it would be.

Are strikes allowed, as our atemi waza are often interpreted as strikes. How do the rules handle Judo type throws?

If you could link a sample ruleset it would be helpful.

I am all game for trying out a matchup in a more controlled environment before I register for a public embarassment and general annoyance of other registered competitors.

Oh, and it would help if I trained enough to not suck in my current art. :laughing1

Posted On:
    7/20/2006 7:46am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are strikes allowed, as our atemi waza are often interpreted as strikes. How do the rules handle Judo type throws?
    Submission grappling and BJJ competitions are no striking, if you want to hit people you compete in MMA.

You can throw a guy with any technique you care to, but it only scores points, it doesn't end the fight. The only way to get instant victory is to tap your opponent.
    If you could link a sample ruleset it would be helpful.
    Rules aren't hugely standardised, but the this set is fairly common for BJJ and the one found here for Sub Grappling.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2006 7:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bleah, lose points as penalty for disengaging. No striking which is what 5 of the basic techniques are (sort of).

I think Aikido needs to be tested in a more MMA environment.

By the way, this is all opinion and I add the disclaimer that I am still relatively new in my art. I claim no expertise, just the experience I have had so far.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast