Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    7/13/2006 10:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd call it grappling. As soon as someone is hold the other in combat, I call that grappling. But that's me... Also, in those clips I didn't see the uke's even try to use their 'tanto'. What up with that? Do they just ignore it and go for throws?
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2006 9:11pm

Style: BJJ, Stick & Knife

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    heres the problem-kaeshi waza is only taught to >shodan in other system than Tomiki

well if the rules stipulate the knife be pointed and hand must be in front- just rain wing chun type of stabbing punches- :qleft1:
    think this be good training for nage :disgust:

good luck to the nage trying to do Aikido throws or locks on resisting Uke

my guess that this is why other Aikido styles shun Tomiki cause it just proves how bloody difficult to do such techniques

ben hoo wah have u ever seen 2 aikido chaps in arms performing aikido techniques of throw jointlocks in training instead of kenjutsu stuff ?

probably the lack of such gives Obi1 impression that Aikido is all gayish and softy - he could be right where most ppl are going with it :confused2

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    7/18/2006 10:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Forget this stuff, here's how to defend a knife attack fo REAL!!

http://www.dogbrothers.com/

Watch the first video "Die Less Often". Be warned, there are some gross knife attack picctures in it.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 6:48am

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosexmachina
    I'd call it grappling. As soon as someone is hold the other in combat, I call that grappling. But that's me...
    I generally refer to any situation where the combatants are still standing but one is able to hold onto the other as a "Clinch," That keeps the Karate guys from being able to call wrist escapes "grappling," which it would be under your definition.

Back to the Tomiki Aikido, so the guy with the knife cant attack the hands or arms of his opponent? And when a throw is initiated he must "Go with it?" Sounds a bit odd, but at least its somewhat competititve, even though you have to let people throw you.

How can it be a competition if you have to let the guy throw you?
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 6:59am

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 7:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    I don't see that anywhere in the rules. I think the very heavy prescription of technique is its most unconvinving element. I'd be interested to see how much effective throwing is disallowed as 'not Aikido'

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 7:49am

Style: Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosexmachina
    Forget this stuff, here's how to defend a knife attack fo REAL!!

http://www.dogbrothers.com/

Watch the first video "Die Less Often". Be warned, there are some gross knife attack picctures in it.

Thanks...that really changed my thoughts on FMAs potential worth in MMA type training and quite possibly keeping myself alive someday. Ive pretty much ignored the Dog Brothers after seeing them in my krotty days, and not having the slightest clue as to what the **** was going on, which isnt surprising, seeing that an armbar was equally as perplexing at the time. Ive pretty much dismissed kali/arnis/escrima etc. as **** for not providing much in terms of resistance. I completely forgot about this.

You kick fucking ass, man.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 8:24am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, there are some SERIOUS misconceptions being tossed around, specifically by Ben.

First off there is NO compliance in Tomiki Aikido tournaments, if someone gets thrown it is not by choice or by rule but by technique. Uke WILL NOT always get thrown.

There is open handed aikido, and it is damn tough since you need to really work timing and balance to get the techniques off.

Aikido is not best done from a clinch, the technique should be almost finished by the time you are in clinch. At the least you should have kazushi (balance break) on Uke.

Tomiki called Aikido "Judo from arms length" (paraphrasing a third hand quoute) so clinch is not where Aikido is optimal although it is still doable and several techniques work quite well in that range.

There are specific rules in place to prevent competition Aikido from becoming Judo, ruling out hip throws, trips (although foot placement is ok), etc..

Those Kata videos on Youtube are mine (BeingUke) and I hope at this year's NY tournament to get some great footage.
    Last edited by NasalInfection; 7/19/2006 8:26am at .

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 8:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasal
    There are specific rules in place to prevent competition Aikido from becoming Judo, ruling out hip throws, trips (although foot placement is ok), etc..
    Why not mix the Judo in? It seems like the smooth transition to a backup plan would be a major part of Aikido for the non-superhuman.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2006 10:20am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo and Aikido are very seperate arts, but incredible counterparts that blend amazingly well. Mixing in Judo diliutes the point of Aikido competition, to practice Aikido against a non compliant opponent. In terms of overal combat effectiveness, hell yes get your judo on. =D
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast