Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2006 7:14pm

Style: Nothing currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I assume everyones seen these videos?

I assume everyone here has seen these videos of Tomiki tourny's, but with the search function I couldn't find a discussion on them:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search

What does everyone think of them? There is obvious resistance, it is obviously Aikido, and it seems to not be bullshit.

I don't know enough about Tomiki to make a judgment at all, that's why I'm asking what some of you (intelligent) people have to say about it.

I understand most people think Aikido is 'gay' so there is no need to say it.

I think there is somthing in the rules I may be missing, ie: are they just being judged on how well they execute the moves and the 'Uke' will always be thrown?

Posted On:
    7/13/2006 7:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: european martial arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (15 March 1900-25 December 1979). B. Kakunodate, Akita Prefecture. Graduate in Political Science of Waseda University. From a family of landowners. Began judo at age 10. Member of Waseda University Judo Club and student of judo founder Jigoro KANO. In the summer of 1926, Tomiki first trained under Morihei UESHIBA. He was awarded a judo 5th dan by the KODOKAN in 1928. He entered the Tenranjiai Imperial tournament in May 1929 as a representative of Miyagi Prefecture. Tomiki moved to Manchuria to become an instructor at Daido Gakuin in March 1936 through an introduction provided by Ueshiba. He later became an instructor at KENKOKU UNIVERSITY in Manchuria, which opened in the spring of 1938 and headed the AIKI BUDO program, a regular part of the curriculum, with the assistance of Hideo OHBA. Tomiki was awarded the first aikido 8th dan on 11 February 1940 by Morihei UESHIBA. He established the WASEDA UNIVERSITY AIKIDO CLUB in April 1958. Tomiki was awarded an 8th dan in judo by the Kodokan in 1964. He was also a member of the teaching staff of the AIKIKAI HOMBU DOJO through the late 1950s. Tomiki developed TOMIKI AIKIDO which included competition patterned after the ideas of Jigoro KANO in the creation of judo. He was a professor in the Physical Education Department of Waseda University from its inception in 1954. He authored numerous studies and books on aikido, judo and self-defense. Tomiki was the first Chairman of the JAPAN AIKIDO ASSOCIATION, an organization founded in 1974 to administer Tomiki Aikido and a member of the Board of Directors of the Kodokan.

as far as competition are concerned is more a demonstrate technique competition then a real fight. The most common form being one on one '' red'' having a tanto and trying to stab "white" between the arm pit and the ribcage and white applying aikido only technique to defend himself.

and yes the "UKE" will always be thrown.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2006 7:36pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so the uke is restricted to trying to stab a particular point & isn't himself allowed to throw? interesting. still a big step up from most aikido I've seen.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    7/13/2006 7:46pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most other schools of Aikido hate Tomiki, because Ueshiba said that Aikido isn't supposed to be competative at all. So even though Tomiki is a step up, it's not influencing anybody really.

Posted On:
    7/13/2006 7:49pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    G8 you got it right uke is allowed to get out of a hold but if he get thrown he must follow through. competition is a team thing you might win your match But if you partners didnt you lost the competition.

the hit zone restriction for "UKE" is for 2 reason.
    1. safety, no accidental stabbing to the throat or eyes or balls etc.
    2. realism in its own time period. this style (tomiki aikido) was created during and after ww2, most knife fight were derivated from bayonnette work. and if you check most military trainig book youll see it represent the main target for bayonet work in those days.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2006 7:52pm

Style: Nothing currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I think the most important thing is that the Uke seems to be resisting, that is the case right?

So, in short, Aikido does in fact work on resisting oponants, contrary to popular belief? I'm not saying all-out slugfest 'real life' scenario, but most people seem to think Aikido doesn't work at all if the Uke is even resisting a little, and these videos would seem to prove otherwise. Maybe?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2006 8:25pm

Style: BJJ, Stick & Knife

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if the setup moves were good-is it possible to do anything to the UKE- even a 2 finger poke to eye

its not the locks or throws that shud be scrutinise to consider if work under resisting partner-more important is the setup move :new_smili

Posted On:
    7/13/2006 8:49pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    mma buster I agree totally.

Uke as got to resist in comp otherwise he would cost a point to his team.

and its the set up that is important. In the competiton system there is one major flaw. the way Uke holds the knife is controlled by rules it most be "sticking out" wich means is should be pointing forward toward the opponent and the hand that holds it should bein front of you at all time if ever the holder retract the hand it is consider illegal and his strike will not count. So set up technique are biased in tomiki style tournament.

Aikido works relatively well in combat BUT it is not a stand alone system. even its founder was using a lot of different style. I find aikido to work best in armed combat when both opponents are armed. plus the way aikidoka's stay upright and does not follow on te ground is consistent with use of weapon. Why would one go down if i can stab him from here?

Posted On:
    7/13/2006 8:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tanto guy is allowed to throw.

Posted On:
    7/13/2006 9:03pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    really??? never seen that loowed before.

then again im in canada were muay thai is not alloewd to use elbows or knees. S
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast