Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2006 4:09pm

Style: Nothing currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems like these guys really really really want to be Dog Brothers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2006 4:17pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I may or may not soon be instituting a law for myself that decrees I am not to join any martial art that has an exclamation point as part of its name.

Especially if it is required to be written in call capital letters.

Posted On:
    7/12/2006 8:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get the feeling AMOK! is an acronymn. But what for?

Also, why the farkin' exclamation mark?

If you ask me anywhere that wqualifies an instructor or 'leader;' in one day is bs

Posted On:
    7/12/2006 10:55pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    English translation of various african dialects will make frequent use of the exclamation point in spelling. AMOK, if i recall, originates in south africa.

I may be recalling this wrongly

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2006 11:23pm

Style: BJJ, Stick & Knife

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

holy cow

Read somewhere that South Africa was designated as a research centre being the stabbing city of the world

points to consider from their site

[ Who can start a Tribe?
    A Tribal Leader can be any individual who has the initiative and motivation to organize a practice group on their own, or any group may designate a leader from amongst themselves.]
    [A Tribal Leader may be among the best in their field (which is often the case) and perhaps not as yet accomplished in amok. This is sometimes true where a TL may be a top firearms trainer or martial arts instructor in their own right and still at one of the various levels of amok.]

meaning a Tribal Leader can be anywhere from just an organizer with
    No competencies et all to a qualified instructor would be the conclusion ...

One day tribal leader training ?

do u actually need knife or blade training to be a threat ? - put some blades/knives into a non-trained teenager or kids hands, still a danger to reckon with ?

Disagree otherwise, then those who are confident of their empty hands skill please put into test - give ur kids some marker pens and try beating them and see how many marks on u - i wont go unarm against one with blades

this is like saying an untrained fire-arm wielder pose no danger ? what if a one day trained fire-arm wielder ? i wont take my chance - same points apply

Posted On:
    7/12/2006 11:44pm

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    AMOK as a word comes from indonesia. People in some fucked up religious order would grab a knife and run up and down the street stabbing people. This was called "running amok."

More importantly, How much training does it take to be good with a knife? especialy in cultures that are not knife fighting cultures? Even more importantly, How much are they going to love the butt sex when they do 5-10 for manslaughter? You cant knife someone in a fist fight. Well you can...but. They should just lern to fight.

Posted On:
    7/13/2006 12:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mmabuster
    One day tribal leader training ?

do u actually need knife or blade training to be a threat ? - put some blades/knives into a non-trained teenager or kids hands, still a danger to reckon with ?
    Im not suggesting someone untrained with a knife is no threat. I am simply pointing out that if one is going to teach a skill, they should have a strong level of skill in that subject.

Sure, any bozo off the street with a rifle is dangerous, but how would you feel as a soldier if your instructors on basic training only had one day of military training?
    Or being taught boxing by a guy with only one day training?
    This is more the type of thing I am getting at.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2006 4:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    point to consider in regards to weapon-
    takes shorter time to be good at it

in terms of training time - consider this in general
    -empty hands-longer training time
    -blunt weapon-like fma shorter than above
    -edge weapon-like fma even shorter than above
    -projectile-even shorter than above
    -firearms- u bet shortest time to train to be a real threat

*someone with one day training in firearms will have enough skill to be a big threat even u have the same equivalent.

as i can recall massad f ayoob who teaches LE/military/Civilian combat handgun do conduct a one day (8 hours) course for combat handgun.

This covers safe speed draw and holstering, proper operation of double action revolver, double or single action semi-automatic pistol, combat speed reloading with both. Student learns the Weaver, Chapman and Isosceles Turret two-hand techniques, "position shooting" such as "Stressfire Kneeling", and "Stressfire Star", and how to focus on target instead of sight picture with "stress point index", among many other pointers.

Ideal for the shooter with no previous hands-on training OR for the experienced instructor seeking techniques to streamline his own training procedures.

so do frontsights - firearm training institute syllabus being of
    basics of gunhandling and marksmanship followed by malfunction clearances, reloads, and very challenging shooting drills such as Failure to Stop, multiple targets, man-against-man competition, and tactical simulators.

now for those who have fire arm experience, looking at the materials covered & someone like massad-participants would end up better handgunners than b4.

likelihood from handgunners experience, that one day training will bring a stronger skill set than b4.

If that someone is really blurr / slow learner, with the knowledge, training methods gain, they have something really valuable to take home to further hone their skill. in no time, i rather stay far far away from those folks.

as for some one like tom sotis-his credibility is quite a list but no one knows for sure what is taught in that one day training. do you ?

i wouldn't say for sure that people with one day training will not come out with stronger skill set than before. isn't this also relative to that someone's experience or background ? or the teacher's training methods ?

on one hand, in general i agree with colonelpong if its general martial arts like Tae Kwon Do, HapKido, BJJ etc. but on the other hand-i wouldnt dare say as its specific to the just the knife ?

besides-in general-in military-dun they hired external martial arts instructor for short stint period-anywhere from one day to a week only. the rest of the time-they are training on their own with the materials taught ? what is the difference here than if compared ?

just look at the korea military @dmz martiala arts/combative training - one day to a week or even the philippines marine corps taught by Leo Gaje - around a few days and not even full 8 hours.

guess its all relative - the proof of the pie lies in its being eaten
    hope someone from this forum take up that 1 day training then we check out with him-is it like the firearms one day training

i take the combat handgun anyday than anything- anyone for a Glock ? LOL

Posted On:
    7/13/2006 4:11am

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What deos that mean?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2006 5:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wagamichi

it means as u go up the 'weapon chains', the training time goes down even shorter ...

ie if u r a genious and only take 3 years to be as good as the Gracies in BJJ-it probably only takes < 3 hours to learn how to blow up someone with a mortar bomb ... LOL :XXmonkey:
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast