Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/28/2003 2:16am

supporting member
     Style: kyoku-shin, boun-shin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, this is primarily for BJJ people. Last week I was at a women's MMA card featuring 4 different kinds of bouts. In the most impressive match, one woman got a rear naked slapped on her with about 1:30 left in the 1st round. Her opponent had it -- forearm under the chin, a grip on her opposite arm, hooks in, back arched. I was at the match with a friend who does BJJ, and we were sitting in the 2nd row -- we could both see the situation clearly. Neither of us have ever seen anyone last long in that situation (I haven't seen as many as my friend has, though). Both of us thought she was screwed. Even given that her opponent wasn't as strong as a well trained male, there was a lot of pressure in that choke.

But she lasted a minute and a half until the bell. In fact, she won by KO in the 2nd.

So, any ideas? Is it possible just to gut out a choke that long?

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    5/28/2003 2:28am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Given that it was a competition environment.... she was probably riding it out knowing that her opponent was trying to go for the submission and not the kill... as such I would imagine the opponent was only willing to put on the choke so hard, and it wasn't hard enough that the person being choked felt it was a tap-or-be-KOed situation. I would bet it was all a matter of intent.

--A poor band player I was, but now I am crocodile king. --
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2003 3:14am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some people are "unchokable." I used to think that was crap, untill Ze Marcello declared my instructor to be unchokable. ??? Wierd. I'm not saying this was the case, but maybe.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/28/2003 3:34am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any idea what the difference is between an unchokable person and everyone else? Every time someone (well, except a SCARS nut) has told me about a lock they've added "But this won't work on everyone". I can see that for joint locks and pressure points, but I have no idea what (other than a really strong neck) could keep you from getting choked.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2003 3:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Taebo - a lot of people in tournaments will just relax and let their attacker waste their energy. Once the attacker's arms tire a bit, there's more space to just ride it out. Also, grabbing on the opposite bicep (not sure if this was the case) is not as tight as grabbing the opposite shoulder.

Question: I always thought it was better to crush your opponent's throat by drawing yourself into the opponent rather than arching the back. Do you not risk just pulling up on the chin if you arch and they move their head back?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2003 3:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    noodles - there's a girl in my class who's strong but has a really narrow neck. Everybody has a hard time choking her - they have to have the move on REALLY tight and have to be positioned really well and then crank it to get her to tap

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/28/2003 3:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting. Thanks Kryptiq. Thinking back on it, the woman applying the choke probably had her grip lower down than her shoulder. I have no idea what the answer to your question is, BTW.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/28/2003 3:53am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and thanks TaeBo and Daanson. Didn't want you to feel left out.

Titan

Posted On:
    5/28/2003 4:28am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You cut the blood off to the brain. Unless the person has a bionic neck they're going to pass out.

----------------------------------------------------------
    Space may be the final frontier,
    But it's made in a Hollywood basement.
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    5/28/2003 7:52am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Tae-Bo's right.

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog
Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast