Sponsored Links Spacer Image

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    11/27/2007 5:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cutting meat is often used as a way of showing the effect of different techniques and blades. There's a lot of question as to how accurate this is, especially when Lynn Thomas does it to convince you that Cold Steel knives and swords are the ultimate edged weapons in the galaxy, but then again, I don't know that anyone has done much better.

I can't see the video at work, did he say why he was using the meat? Like, what he wanted to illustrate? And did he simulate skin and/or clothing in some way?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2007 6:13pm

Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don "Jive Turkey" Gwinn
    Cutting meat is often used as a way of showing the effect of different techniques and blades. There's a lot of question as to how accurate this is, especially when Lynn Thomas does it to convince you that Cold Steel knives and swords are the ultimate edged weapons in the galaxy, but then again, I don't know that anyone has done much better.

I can't see the video at work, did he say why he was using the meat? Like, what he wanted to illustrate? And did he simulate skin and/or clothing in some way?
    yes to demenstrate how effective abox cutter could be against a body part such as an arm. the meat was the meat of the arm and seranrap(tm) rapped a few times was to simulate the resiliance of skin.

and as for convenceing if you simulate skin acuratley well then muscle is muscle and pigs have the closest muscle and organ placement to humans next to a munkey.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/27/2007 7:44pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: former Kempo(Villari's)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grashnak

Tobias... is that you?

...it is!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2007 8:55pm

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don "Jive Turkey" Gwinn
    Mad Dog? Is that you?

People train with folders for the same reason people train with handguns even though long arms exist: because the weapon you're actually carrying is more important than the uber-weapon you left at home.
    Word. I'd love to be able to carry my Strider DB-L everywhere, but that's not happening. The closest to fixed blades that I carry regularly are the pair of Hideaway knives I have, in addition to a folder. Hideaways are like crack, I swear... (www.hideawayknife.com)

Bottom line is that it won't do **** for you if you can't (or won't) carry it.

Nice Mad Dog reference, BTW. I think Kevin McClung has a psychosis about folders...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2007 9:28pm

Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I own a mad dog knife full ceramic. sharp as hell

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    11/29/2007 12:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Long ago in the last century, Mad Dog actually banned a guy for life from ever buying another MD knife from any "authorized source." The man's crime?

His name was Nam Viet Vo, and he loved Mad Dogs and owned a bunch. But he wanted a Mad Dog folder. Mad Dog frothed at the mouth at the suggestion that anyone would ever be so "un-tactical and unready" as to fold a knife in half, and to my knowledge he's still never made a folding knife that anyone outside his shop has seen.

Anyway, Nam Viet Vo solved his problem by taking one of his smaller MD knives and cutting the handle off. Then he had another smith cut the tang down, shape and drill it for a pivot, redo the heat-treat and use the resulting blade to build him a large "tactical" folder.

I thought McClung would have a stroke. I wonder if they ever spoke after that? At the 2000 Blade show, Vo was still saying he'd probably buy more Mad Dog knives since he liked them.

Come to think of it, they were both a little odd.

Posted On:
    8/27/2014 12:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hapkido/Jiujitsu/ninjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MBC/CBC student perspective

Quote Originally Posted by aderinaru View Post
    I am sorry to say this but I read the comments and I am not better informed. Has someone practiced with him, fought him, or taught him?
    I've trained with Mr. Janich and I have to say that I think his system is well thought through and the training methodology is very good for training reflexive responses to certain types of attacks. He teaches what is essentially a Filipino knife style that has been modified and trimmed down a bit to work better for American sized people working in a civilian context. The targeting is designed to disable the attacker - killing them isn't the primary goal of this style. That said, when you're playing with knives, the targets that can disable people are often pretty close to the targets that can kill them (ie flexor tendons in the forearm are right next a major artery).

A lot of the training is done with repeating patterns (sambrada etc) with two people wielding knives and taking turns. This is a way of programming responses and getting a lot of repetitions. Later, the practitioners begin to break out of the patterns and throw in extra attacks or break the pattern in some way or flow into a different pattern without stopping. Once students can do that then they start what is referred to as "the chess game" where there really is no pattern and anything could from any pattern could be thrown in at any time.

There is little or no knife sparring in MBC. I think the idea is that if you are getting into mano a mano knife fights then you're doing something wrong. There is, however, quite a bit of work done with learning how to deploy the knife under pressure during an attack.

Additionally, Mr. Janich teaches a Counter Blade Concepts course that focuses on dealing with an knife wielding attacker empty handed. I don't have as much experience with that system but from what I've seen/done it seems like a pretty solid way not to get stabbed in the vital parts. I'm not yet convinced of the methods for controlling the weapon and disarming the opponent but I haven't given it enough practice to really be able to judge.

Posted On:
    11/08/2014 9:00am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fraud

Janice went to some classes and "stole" techniques from worthy practitioners the applied them in a haphazard. and ill advised format. Want real edged weapon training try those people he went to. One in particular is Kieth Moffett of Kun Lun Pai martial arts in Denver. Good luck.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456