Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    7/09/2006 6:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    now let it be known that I think Tommy Carruther's is a putz for doing Wing Chun and profiting from "JKD".
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    7/09/2006 7:30pm

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you've done MMA you've "profited" from JKD.

Posted On:
    7/09/2006 7:45pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is why the title was the way it was. He said he 'heard' Tommy say he could whipe the floor with bas or any other sport fighter but wont do it under MMA rules.

The thing is, what does he mean by 'heard'? It SOUNDS like Tommy said this directly.

But DESTINY didnt exactly quote Tommy's words.

But whatever is going on, the fact is that Tommy is nowhere near Bas's level, and not like these losers are saying.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DESTINY:
    Heard from Tommy Carruthers that he could wipe the floor with Bas Rutten or any MMA guy he has seen in a real fight, but added he would not like to fight them under MMA rules, as it is a sport with rules & greatly limits what he can do.
    Also that he could teach MMA guys to improve their skills especially striking as most are weak strikers.

http://www.tommycarruthers.com/phpBB...opic.php?t=414

Easy to register & add to forum on his site.

View video clips on his website www.tommycarruthers.com :-

http://www.tommycarruthers.com/video.htm

The guy is fast! Way faster than Bas or maybe any MMA guy. Does not mean he can fight but its still a factor.

Tommy Carruthers is considered to be Bruce Lee No.2 see quotes on his website from others.

Also his weight seems light guy to mix it up with heavweights like Bas.

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    7/09/2006 7:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bad credit
    If you've done MMA you've "profited" from JKD.

:bsflag: Don't even start .
    Sumus extra manum tuam.

Posted On:
    7/09/2006 7:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But he did! He mixed to styles together! Therefore it is MIXED martial arts!

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    7/09/2006 7:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope he's joking just like you are.
    Sumus extra manum tuam.

Posted On:
    7/09/2006 7:57pm

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whatever, you still can't deny the good showing JKD fighters have had in MMA. Erik Paulson was a Shooto champ, Maurice Smith was a kickboxing champ and former UFC Heavyweight champ. Randy Coutre went and studied at a JKD gym before beating Maurice Smith to become the champion. Dan Henderson went to the same gym; Straigh Blast. Seriously, I don't get it. why do all the MMA and BJJ guys on here worship Matt Thornton, but bash JKD? He does JKD! Oh sure, he evolved it and took "aliveness" to a new level, even beyond what most JKD schools have devolved into, but that's what JKD was always supposed to do; continually grow.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2006 7:58pm

Style: TSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Despite any principals involved with JKD in terms of taking in other martial arts, Bruce Lee certainly didn't emphasize that aspect, and if he did, then why weren't there a rampant number of MMA practitioners during his day and time. Why is that even after his death, no one was in a hurry to become an MMA person, but instead, a "JKD master" which we know today are NOT MMA practitioners.

Don't over-inflate Bruce Lee's legacy. I won't say the guy had nothing useful or important to offer, but to say that he created "MMA" is ridiculous. MMA and JKD are not synonomous.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2006 8:00pm

Style: TSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bad credit
    Whatever, you still can't deny the good showing JKD fighters have had in MMA. Erik Paulson was a Shooto champ, Maurice Smith was a kickboxing champ and former UFC Heavyweight champ. Randy Coutre went and studied at a JKD gym before beating Maurice Smith to become the champion. Dan Henderson went to the same gym; Straigh Blast. Seriously, I don't get it. why do all the MMA and BJJ guys on here worship Matt Thornton, but bash JKD? He does JKD! Oh sure, he evolved it and took "aliveness" to a new level, even beyond what most JKD schools have devolved into, but that's what JKD was always supposed to do; continually grow.

Huh? How is that possible? Are they "JKD" fighters? Do they list themselves as "JKD?" Do they tell people, "I am a JKD master"? Matt thorton is a JKD practitioner? I've never heard of this.

I was under the impression that JKD was, first and foremost, merely a philosophy for martial art thinking, not an actual style. And Coutre went to a JKD gym? What JKD gym was this, and why isn't SpikeTV currently pimping this factoid along with overblown montages of Bruce Lee's image?

Posted On:
    7/09/2006 8:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblackmagic
    I hope he's joking just like you are.
    Bas hasnt come on his forum for a while since he's been training.

I wonder if he'll actually take this seriously?

EDIT: When he reads it i mean.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast