Posted On:
    5/27/2003 10:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Carbohydrates in Nutrition
    by Ron Kennedy, M.D., Santa Rosa, California

Carbohydrates come in two basic forms: complex and simple. Simple carbs are one, two, or at most three units of sugar linked together in single molecules. Complex carbs are hundreds or thousands of sugar units linked together in single molecules. Simple sugars are easily identified by their taste: sweet. Complex carbs, such as potatoes, are pleasant to the taste buds, but not sweet.

There are two groups of complex carbs: high fiber and low fiber. High-fiber, complex carbs are not digestible, at least not by human beings, because we do not have the enzyme to do the job. Cows have that enzyme; that is why they can get calories out of grass, and we cannot. The main stuff in high-fiber, complex carbs which is indigestible by humans is called "cellulose."

High-fiber (high-cellulose) vegetable foods are the healthiest choices for human nutrition, and intake of these foods is associated with lowered incidences of hypertension, cancer, arthritis, diabetes, etc. Examples are lettuce and broccoli. Examples of low-fiber, complex carbs are banana, tomato, squash and all cereals and grains (therefore bread and pasta), potatoes and rice.

It matters not if a carb is simple or complex. After digestion, it appears in the circulatory system in the simple form, as glucose, on its way to the cells where it is used for energy. To be transformed into simple sugars, complex carbs must be digested by the enzyme amylase. Amylase is secreted by the salivary glands, which empty into the mouth, and by the pancreas, which empties into the head of the duodenum.

Simple sugars and low-fiber, complex carbs represent a threat to health when they are consumed in inappropriate amounts such as may occur in low-soy, vegetarian diets where they are being eaten to replace the calories which would ordinarily come from protein.

Processing of plant food strips away its fiber and/or vitamin content. A simple example of processing is cutting an orange in two pieces, pressing the juice into a glass and discarding the fiber.

While it is true that fiber is an important part of your diet, even necessary to protect you from some diseases, carbohydrates themselves are not necessary. There are "essential" fatty acids and "essential" amino acids (from protein), however there are no known essential carbohydrates.

Most of our carbohydrates come from cereals and grains, both products of the agricultural revolution. Our bodies are not genetically designed to thrive on large amounts of these fiberless complex carbs. With the popularity of cereal- and grain-based "health diets," carbohydrate metabolism has been upset in approximately 3/4 of the population which simply cannot handle this large load of carbs. Increased insulin output from the pancreas, over the years, results in hyperinsulinism, insulin resistance and the resulting diseases mentioned above: hypertension, dyslipidemia, atherosclerosis and heart disease.

Complex carbs with lots of fiber should be consumed in proper proportion for maximum health and vitality. Complex carbs with lots of fiber are rich sources of necessary vitamins and minerals as well as enzymes when in the raw state. The problem happens when carbohydrates are altered by processes which provide empty calories stripped of much of their original food value.

I should also mention the relationship between simple sugars and mucus formation. The biochemical name for mucus is mucopolysaccharide. This literally means "mucus of many sugars," and it tells us how mucus is formed through the linking together of sugar molecules. If you have a condition, such as asthma or emphysema, in which mucus is part of the problem, you can do yourself a lot of good by stopping your intake of simple sugars and lowering your intake of complex carbohydrates (which convert to simple sugars upon digestion). Unfortunately, this means such wonderful sweet fruits as plums, peaches, apples, etc., must go along with breads, pastas and pastries.

The most healthy form of sugar is the complex carbohydrates present in high-fiber vegetables; however, it is certainly acceptable to spice up your diet in moderation with simple sugars in the form of whole fruits unless, of course, you are trying to avoid mucus formation. Eat your fruits, do not juice them and drink them, unless you are on a juice fast as described earlier in this book. Eating the whole fruit results in the inclusion of natural fiber, which allows proper absorption of sugars. If you must have juice, dilute it with twice the recommended amount of water, so as to get the taste without overdosing on simple sugars.

The Result of Excess Carbohydrate Intake

Excess carbohydrates also causes generalized vascular disease. The high-carbohydrate diet which is now so popular causes the pancreas to produce large amounts of insulin, and if this happens for many years in a genetically predisposed person, the insulin receptors throughout the body become resistant to insulin. Because insulin's action is to drive glucose into the cells, this results in chronic hyperglycemia, also called "high blood sugar." A large portion of this sugar is stored as fat resulting in obesity. Excess insulin also causes hypertension and helps initiate the sequence of events in the arterial wall which leads to atherosclerosis and heart disease.

Adult onset diabetes is known to be greatly benefited by the adoption of a low carbohydrate diet, moderate in fat, which stresses the importance of a regular intake of sufficient protein. You will not hear this advice from the American Diabetes Association, (or from most doctors) since they are still operating on the research as it was twenty years ago.

Many cancers, such as breast, colon and lung cancer, apparently have a hereditary tendency. However, it may be that nutritional habits are passed on from one generation to the next, thus accounting for the familial tendency toward cancer.

Excess fats damage the immune system through irradiation by free radicals during peroxidation of fats. Excess carbohydrates upset the hormonal system mentioned above (known as the "eicosanoids") and results in an imbalance favoring the type of eicosanoid (known as "prostaglandins E-2" or "PGE-2") which also suppresses the immune system. Thus obesity is associated with a higher incidence of infection.

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."

Edited by - The Wastrel on May 27 2003 22:23:39
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    5/27/2003 10:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Diabetes - Adult-Onset Diabetes Mellitus (Type II)
    The name of this set of symptoms comes from the Greek; diabetes means "passing through" and mellitus means "honey." In other words, "honey passing through," or high levels of sugar in the urine, was what the ancient doctors first observed. The disease is characterized by high levels of sugar in the blood, which "spills over" into the urine, and is almost universally related to chronically high intake of simple carbohydrates in the diet. With 4% of the population medically diagnosed with Diabetes Mellitus, it has become the 7th leading cause of death in the U.S. and the incidence is rising.

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Posted On:
    5/27/2003 10:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Causes of Diabetes

There are many different types of sugar molecules, but one extremely important type of sugar molecule is glucose. Glucose is the primary source of the body's energy. Glucose is one of the many types of sugar molecules broken down by the body during the digestion of carbohydrates from a variety of foods, such as vegetables, fruit, milk products, bread and rice. Once broken down from the digestion of carbohydrates, glucose is absorbed directly into the bloodstream after eating. However, glucose is unable to enter the body's cells without the assistance of insulin. The body creates insulin and secretes it from the pancreas.

The pancreas is located behind the stomach. When the body detects that blood glucose levels have risen, cells in the pancreas (beta cells) trigger the release of insulin from the pancreas. The insulin then triggers cells to allow glucose to enter, resulting in a lowering of the glucose levels in the bloodstream. This process prevents blood glucose levels from reaching high and dangerous levels. The blood sugar level and trigger of insulin secretion work together. As blood sugar levels fall, a corresponding decrease in insulin secretion occurs.

This process is further aided by the liver. The liver stores any excess glucose in the form of glycogen which is converted by the liver into glucose and released into the bloodstream when insulin levels in the blood are low.

This complex relationship between insulin, the liver, glucose and several other hormones acts to keep blood sugar levels in the body within healthy limits. In a healthy body where the pancreas is functioning normally, the amount of glucose in the bloodstream changes in response to variables such as exercise, stress and foods eaten. This is an important balance within the body, and when this balance is not working properly, serious illness such as diabetes can result.

When this complex relationship is off, increased levels of blood sugar result. This is usually caused by the pancreas not producing a sufficient amount of insulin to enable glucose to pass into cells, or the cells themselves develop resistance to insulin. The precise cause of elevated blood sugar depends on the type of diabetes.

Types of Diabetes

1) Type 1 Diabetes (previously called juvenile diabetes or insulin dependent diabetes)

Type 1 Diabetes results when the pancreas makes very little or no insulin. This is due to the body's own immune system attacking your pancreas and destroying 'beta cells', which are the insulin producing cells in the pancreas. Unlike a healthy body where the immune system fights viruses, bacteria and other invading organisms, the immune system in Type 1 Diabetes patients attacks the pancreas. Possible explanations for why the pancreas acts this way include genetic factors, exposure to viruses and diets high in fat. Researchers continue to study this area. This form of diabetes often goes undetected for years, even decades. Symptoms, when detected, usually appear within a matter of weeks or a few months and are more likely to appear after illness.

2) Type 2 diabetes (previously called adult-onset diabetes or noninsulin dependent diabetes)

Type 2 Diabetes results when the pancreas doesn't produce enough insulin to allow glucose to enter the body's cells, or when cells develop a resistance to insulin. Unlike Type 1, Type 2 Diabetes is not an autoimmune disease. Researchers continue to study why this develops, but suggestions have been presented that excess weight is the number one factor.

http://www.healthreserve.com/diabetes/diabetes_causes.htm

Posted On:
    5/27/2003 10:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did FoM say anything about a "big hunk of steak"? There's nothing wrong with healthy beef. My family buys a grass-fed cow every summer. I eat red meat once a week, on Sundays with a bottle of Lodi Zinfandel...if only I smoked cigars.

As far as I know, red meat is still the best source of methionine, which is a vital protein.

Posted On:
    5/27/2003 10:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whoa. OK YOU BASTARD, IF THAT'S TRUE, I HAVE BUT ONE QUESTION...

HOW COME EVERYONE IN ITALY ISN'T A DIABETIC!

Posted On:
    5/27/2003 10:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When Stold2 comes back...he's gonna kick your ass...

...BJJ huh? I knew I liked that guy.

Posted On:
    5/27/2003 10:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, my percocet is kicking in, but be I will return to have more pointless battles of words.

Posted On:
    5/27/2003 10:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not trying to say that pasta CAUSES diabetes. There are many ways in which the Italian diet differs considerably from the American. My girlfriend learned to cook in Naples, and lived in Naples and Genoa for a little over a year. Italian cooking is not all pasta. AND...it's very common for Europeans to engage in moderate levels of exercise (walks etc.) in greater frequency than Americans, though Americans who DO work out are some of the hardest working-out people in the world. It's been shown that moderate levels of exercise can really improve your body's ability to regulate sugar levels.

Anyone who's dealing with a weight problem should simply avoid breads and pastas as much as possible. Unfortunately, this is ot what most Americans do. When they go on a diet, they cut out red meat...and then eat "lean" pasta. Especially women. It's fucking insanity.

Posted On:
    5/27/2003 10:31pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've cut back on my carbs in general and I feel great.

You really have to think how people ate 30,000 years ago, and ask yourself if our digestive system has involved at all since then.

The answer, I'm pretty sure is no.

Don't get me wrong, pasta is awesome. But just don't eat too much of it. Once a week, in a modest portion should be fine.

Eating meat, fruit, and veggies is more of a rule of thumb to make diet choices easier than anything.

If you've got the time to research your diet in-depth, even better.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast