Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 1:10pm

Style: PTK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Questions for the sayoc guys here

What's the rationale behind the mulitple training knife rigs? how does that work into single and double knife tactics?

Does sayoc kali have stick and empty hand training as well? what's taught first, knife or stick?

does sayoc kali knife training extend to knife throwing?

All I've see of this style are the videos on the net, since there are no groups teaching it in the Philippines. Really curious as to how they train.

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 6:05pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't have direct sayoc training, but from generally speaking with some, and what Tuhon knows of them, I'll try and give an ida

"What's the rationale behind the mulitple training knife rigs? how does that work into single and double knife tactics?"

*It's to pratice common draw positions, getting to backup knives after disarms, and jamming the draw on your opponents weapon. *

"Does sayoc kali have stick and empty hand training as well? what's taught first, knife or stick?"

*Knives are taught first in sayoc kali, specifically knife offense, then defense against the knife, then branches out from there. Sayoc kali is a "feeder-based, system"*

"does sayoc kali knife training extend to knife throwing?"
    *It seems to be one of the their tactics to make space when moving, but i don't know if there's a special throwing "technique"*

"All I've see of this style are the videos on the net, since there are no groups teaching it in the Philippines. Really curious as to how they train."

*Big differences between pekiti knifework and sayoc
    a) in pekiti we try and destroy the opponents weapons first, then penetrate once he can't fight; sayoc is all about going straight for the kill shots
    b) where pekiti teaches footwork ang angling first in knifework, sayoc will focus initially on effective feints.
    c) chris sayoc is as big as like 4 of leo gaje

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 7:35pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My Kali instructor incorporates some of Sayoc's ideas, he just takes a little from a bunch of different people, so I can't hope to answer fully.
    But to address that throwing thing you mentioned.
    Sayoc Kali teaches that should carry two knives, a primary and a back up, so that you can draw one on someone and distract then just stick them from nowhere with what they thought was an empty hand.

In addition to this, one of the things they teach, like if someone is going for a gun, is to toss one of the knives at them, instinct then being that they will try and block or at least pause and panic as the knife comes at them. Giving you time to close the distance and do what have you with the second knife.

Though "throwing" isn't really taught, the above idea is more of just lob the knife at them. Don't take time to actually aim it or anything, otherwise they will have that gun/knife out on you.

Oh, and to second an above comment, almost all Kali variations teach weapons first, whether it be stick or knife. Then once you get to the upper levels they teach you empty hand, as it takes much more skill to work with.

Mind you Kali is sort of a silly thing when you consider that if someone wants to stab you they will probably stab you in the neck from behind. Making it rather hard to employ any of the techniques you learn.
    People don't jump out from behind corners with weapons and give you time to draw your knife. Unless they are very, very stupid.

Posted On:
    7/08/2006 2:46am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Side note; there are a lot more sayoc guys on martialtalk and FMA talk then there are on this site as far as I can tell, but you're more likely to get a marketing spiel along with the answers

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2006 5:29pm

Style: I/L, Sayoc, Atienza FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipper
    What's the rationale behind the mulitple training knife rigs? how does that work into single and double knife tactics?

Does sayoc kali have stick and empty hand training as well? what's taught first, knife or stick?

All I've see of this style are the videos on the net, since there are no groups teaching it in the Philippines. Really curious as to how they train.

One rationale that hadn't yet been discused in the thread for the training rig is how much time it saves during your training. It wastes time to pick up the knife(s) from the ground and start all over again, when instead you can just redeploy another knife. It also helps to resist the instinct of going to pick up a dropped knife. A favorite tactic of many multiple-weapon systems is to toss a weapon out as bait on the ground. While your opponent is busy going for the knife on the ground, you're deploying another blade and stabbing them in the back of the neck.

There is also a "Sayoc Fighting System" which more closely mirrors the conventional FMA stick and empty hand curriculum... I haven't been in the system for very long, so I don't know what else to tell you about that other than to check their website for the link.

I think Tuhon Chris Sayoc's father Balthazar "Bo" Sayoc is in the Phillipines, but from what I understand he's been retired for quite some time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2010 11:38pm

Style: Southeast Asian MA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sayoc Kali in the Philippines

I think they have one now in the Philipines. I got this from hanging out in one of the Filipino forums:

Sayoc Kali Philippines now holds regular classes in Cavite

The academy is led by Lakan Leopoldo Lasaleta, personally trained by the great Grandmaster Baltazar "Bo" Sayoc
    The group recently concluded a 3-day members-only seminar with Tuhon Michael Anthony Sayoc

Plans are also under way for another seminar with Tuhon Patrick Consing and Ama Guro Raffy Pambuan

For inquiries, you may contact us at fmamovement@yahoo.com

Private sessions are also available

Now I'm wanting to learn Kali more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Flipper View Post

Posted On:
    9/16/2010 12:09am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Surprised no one has said this yet.

Wrong forum!

The MABS forum is for serious investigations, not a few general questions about an art. IF you think the art or a particular school is BS you need explain why and present evidence that supports your accusations. Otherwise post questions about FMA styles in the FMA forum, we always need some action over there. Or if you just want to name call and stir **** up try YMAS. Wrong forum!

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/16/2010 12:13am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Surprised no one has said this yet.

Wrong forum!

The MABS forum is for serious investigations, not a few general questions about an art. IF you think the art or a particular school is BS you need explain why and present evidence that supports your accusations. Otherwise post questions about FMA styles in the FMA forum, we always need some action over there. Or if you just want to name call and stir **** up try YMAS. Wrong forum!
    You're a fag now shut the **** up.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/16/2010 12:14am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's because the original date is 2006 and at that time it wasn't the wrong forum.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/16/2010 12:14am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ipponde View Post
    I think they have one now in the Philipines. I got this from hanging out in one of the Filipino forums:

Sayoc Kali Philippines now holds regular classes in Cavite

The academy is led by Lakan Leopoldo Lasaleta, personally trained by the great Grandmaster Baltazar "Bo" Sayoc
    The group recently concluded a 3-day members-only seminar with Tuhon Michael Anthony Sayoc

Plans are also under way for another seminar with Tuhon Patrick Consing and Ama Guro Raffy Pambuan

For inquiries, you may contact us at fmamovement@yahoo.com

Private sessions are also available

Now I'm wanting to learn Kali more and more.
    Hey retard look at the fucking dates before resurrecting this ****.:5dunce:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast