Sponsored Links Spacer Image

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    10/14/2006 1:34am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love this place. Now it's three months later and suddenly we're actually on the topic . . . . and having quite an illuminating discussion, actually.

Fascinating. This is what Pax Baculum should be.

Posted On:
    10/14/2006 11:26am

Style: BJJ,MT,RBSD (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously, their whole secrecy about the Dog Catcher, with the pixilated scenes in the video, is starting to piss me off slightly.

Poidog isn’t responding, but I don’t think we are disagreeing anyway, I think we’re just having a terminology problem.

Here are my definitions (these are also the definitions used by most in the RBSD world):

Default Position: cover position you assume when taken by surprise. Usually covers the head to keep from getting knocked the **** out. This is usually trained along with the “flinch response”.

Fence: position you assume when you know there is trouble coming. It gets you arms up and in play while not looking overly aggressive. This position is deliberately assumed, and not a “flinch” response.

From both the default position and the fence you can move into a response or into an attack. From what I understand of poidog’s posting this is where the Dog Catcher fits in as a default response. If that’s so then I agree with him.

Here’s a question for poidog:

From my understanding, the Dog Catcher is done either to the left or to the right depending on where the perceived attack is coming from as a default interception. It seems to work decently enough against a knife attack, but how does it fare if the attack is a rapid boxing style punch combination to the head (say a series of straights and hooks, both left and right)?

Posted On:
    10/21/2006 2:06am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It turns into a cover fairly quickly.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/21/2006 11:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ,MT,other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone interested in surviving Knife/gun encounters need to unass their credit cards and get this dvd, Guro Crafty and Gabe Suarez teem up and provide awesome answers to horrible problems and my Bro Candidate Poi Dog provides some serious opposition to some of the L.E.O. personell in the dvd. Like Red Elvis said....let the credit card out!

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 2:03am

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My credit card is going to sneak out to pay for the next weekend seminar entitled Die Less Often II in January. Nothing will be better than watching Poi get beat up all day long and actually doing my part in that process as well. (I just need to wait until he's all wore out first and kick him in the balls!) Consider the credit card "unassed".
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 10:10am

Style: BJJ,MT,RBSD (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could some of you guys answer my last question please.

From my understanding, the Dog Catcher is done either to the left or to the right depending on where the perceived attack is coming from as a default interception. It seems to work decently enough against a knife attack, but how does it fare if the attack is a rapid boxing style punch combination to the head (say a series of straights and hooks, both left and right)?

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 12:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks a lot like the "Rhino" position or the "Crazy Monkey" position to me. Protect your noggin and counter attack immediately seems to be the gist.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 12:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rw4th
    Could some of you guys answer my last question please.
    Will be happy to... after I attend the seminar. My level of understanding right now is not enough to explain properly. As a teaser however, the primary goal is to protect oneself from an edged weapon and to quickly neutralize or control the situation. It is effective against non-weapon attacks by default. If you can't wait fot the answer then the DVD is your only solution.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 2:15pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or he could read the two previous responses that point out how easy it is to go to high cover against a punch flurry from that position. If you think about it, the starting position for the "dog catcher"(There isn't an official name for the position when we do it pekiti, so i'll have to stick with Marc's goofy-ass terminology) looks a whole lot like roostering up for an elbow a la MT, which seems to stop punches pretty well. You're not exactly helpless against somone who can pump a jab.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234