Posted On:
    7/06/2006 9:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

computer game forum BS?

http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.p...c,12460.0.html

so i bought this game a little while back (awesome game btw, and super cheap) and was looking on the forum... of course, someone is doing a japanese mod for it and of course, this part of the board is full of japanophiles, but i think this guy is the best, Ron Losely. some of the things he writes is just gold. heres one of his best posts-

Well, that would pretty much explain my experience in applied combat jujitsu. I teach in China, but I'm a big white guy, so every mugger in the country thinks I'm a rich tourist. I occasionally do have to tear somebody's limbs from their torso. (It's actually very easy to shatter bone, if you just remember some basic physics and biology.) From a third-person perspective, it pretty much looks like 1. get very close, 2. reach out and grab target, 3. target falls down, usually falling somewhat in my direction, hopefully taking some damage in the process. Of course, when dealing with muggers and pickpockets, the next step usually includes kicking the crud out of them on the ground while I go for a folding knife, and then looking to see how many more are coming and from where. (Much like the river pirates in this game, real robbers seldom work alone. Unlike this game, when real robbers start taking casualties, they usually remember previous appointments and vanish.)

Anyway, get close, grab, target falls down - shouldn't require much in the line of new animations. It happens a little slower than a gravity fall (like being run over by a horse). Do note the "get close" part - unarmed moves are always at the mercy of any weapon with reach. An unarmed attack on an armed opponent is 99% suicide, even if the unarmed party is wearing armor. (I'm thinking of modern police vests here, but I doubt my suit of O-sode Do-maru - currently under construction - will do any better.)

Most knife attacks are also this type of move - grab with forward hand, pull off balance, knife, push to ground. All the formal studies of tanto-jitsu were that way, as well as the way modern prisoners and thugs fight with knives. (Only the martial arts from the Phillipines, based on old Spanish rapier fencing, actually try to lead with the knife... and they get carved like turkeys on the street.) Might not hurt to script the short blade attacks the same way, if somebody is actually planning to do an infighting script.

I wish I was talking from theory and not experience.
    Ron

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    7/06/2006 10:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Sucking teeth*Is he talking about real life or in the game??? Or both???
    Sumus extra manum tuam.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2006 10:13pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I knew a guy like that.

He once said he took out a whole gang with his bo staff and Tae Kwon Do powers, although it was after he focused his chi.

**** you math class

Posted On:
    7/06/2006 10:16pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    7/06/2006 10:20pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tshin
    I knew a guy like that.

He once said he took out a whole gang with his bo staff and Tae Kwon Do powers, although it was after he focused his chi.
    So are these guys saying they do this stuff in real life?
    Sumus extra manum tuam.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    7/06/2006 10:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hes talking about his own "real life" experiences (is english your first language?)

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    7/06/2006 10:29pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's talking about things that are borderling between impossible and totally fucking psychotic on a videogame forum. I wasn't sure if he was making this **** up or if he was talking about mods he made to the game.
    Last edited by mrblackmagic; 7/06/2006 10:37pm at .
    Sumus extra manum tuam.

software engineer

Posted On:
    7/06/2006 11:52pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pfft. If he'd any talent, he would write a book about it and sell millions and then get busted in Colorado years later.
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White